Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom TIFF metadata issue

Mar 10, 2010 4:29 PM

Very shortly after Lightroom 2 was released I used it to convert all the photos in our archive from JPEG to TIFF.

These were all the digital camera photos we had shot before we started shooting as Camera Raw. We use Lightroom

for creating files but not for cataloging. For cataloging we use Cumulus as we have to provide access to people

on both coasts. What I have recently discovered is that when I add keywords in Cumulus and write those changes

back to an asset the keywords disappear from the file's metadata. If I take a sample file and resave it as a TIFF in

Photoshop then write to it from Cumulus the keywords are all there in the metadata.

My question now is, does anyone on this forum know what is different about the metadata structure between a PS TIFF

and a LR TIFF. I'm hoping to get some insight into this so the Cumulus engineers in Germany can help me with a workaround.

I'm trying to avoid having to convert 100-150,000 files.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to jignarro

I don't know the answer to your question, but you might examine a LR-TIFF and a PS-TIFF before manipulating in Cumulus using EXIFTool and see what it shows as being different.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

BTW, I don't understand why you'd want to convert all your JPGs to TIFF, because the process would not remove the original JPG-compression artifacts.  If you continue to manipulate the images in PS or LR then saving as TIFF once manipulated would be ok, of course, to keep from getting any more artifacts, but not just something to do to all your images.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2010 5:26 AM   in reply to jignarro

If you have changed metadata in a file outside of LR you will need to read this into the LR database by either synchronising the folder the files are in or using the update meta data. Note this will over write any meta data in LR. If you want metadata written in LR to be in the file itself as well as in the database, you will need to write to the file. You can set preferences to do this automatically. When you export a new file from LR you can select whether to write all the metadata or minimise metadata (which writes only the copyright information ) in the export dialog.

A TIFF is a TIFF, matters not which application made them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points