• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 Photoshop How do I reverse a clipping path.

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2010 Mar 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a clipping path and accidently clipped the outside of the bottle instead of the bottle. How do I reverse the clipping path? I know there is some icon that is supposed to show up on the top control bar but I am not finding anything.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Refer to screenshot:

path_options.jpg

If you want to attach a screen shot use the little camera icon when posting.

As far as the shape layers, the path options work the same way for those. The advantage is you can see the clipped result right away in Photoshop, like in my screen shot. I was just offering another option to produce a clipped image and output, but you don't have to use shape layers if you don't want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select>Inverse -or- Shift+Command+i

I think you will have to convert the path to a selection first though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you convert a path to a selection? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control+Click inside the selection and choose Make Selection.

Once you have made the change then you can use the same command to change the selection back into a Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1st I clicked on the path and tried it. It said no pixels selected. Then I went to the canvas and did command/A to select all. Then it let me change the path into a selection. Then I tried to inverse it but all it said was no pixels selected. I thought there was something on the control bar on the top that you selected the path and something came up so you could inverse it? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the path with the path selection tool (solid arrow). Then click on the Add icon (1st of 4) in the options bar at the top. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it when I get back tomorrow...thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann - yes you've been misadvised a little in this thread. Printer Rick has your correct answer. Whether paths include, exclude or intersect is controlled with these buttons …

Picture 21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can avoid having to switch the mode of the path, by setting the options for the path/pen tool BEFORE you draw the path. Icons are the same, on the right end of the options bar. Also make sure you are in Path mode, not Shape Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know. Usually I do. I get frustrated when I goof and forget to do

the inverse and then acc. clip the background instead of what I am

trying to clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thank you. This auto add and these intersect buttons are missing off my control bar. This is what I can't find. I can add an image if that will help. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window: Options.

Then select the Path Selection tool (solid black arrow)

You should see 4 path options near the left.

If you have sub paths, sometimes combinations of the options produces the correct result.

Something else to consider: you can choose to use shape layers instead of paths. But to get vector output using shape layers, you have to save the image as a PDF. The advantage with shape layers is that you can see the clipped result in Photoshop, and everything outside the path is transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I don't have an options button under my window drop down (CS4, Mac OS 10.6.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry wrong program.Yes, options is checked but for some reason... the auto add/delete and these 4 boxes don't show up and I can't find them. Thank you.

Picture+21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. I am really trying to find these above boxes instead of doing pdf's and the other steps. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can send me a way to attach an image... I can show you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refer to screenshot:

path_options.jpg

If you want to attach a screen shot use the little camera icon when posting.

As far as the shape layers, the path options work the same way for those. The advantage is you can see the clipped result right away in Photoshop, like in my screen shot. I was just offering another option to produce a clipped image and output, but you don't have to use shape layers if you don't want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Yes, options is checked. Yes, black arrow is selected.

No, those little boxes such as below - do not show up.

Picture+21.png

I'll be happy to attach a picture of what I have for screen shot if you can send me a way to do it. Thank you.  I am not getting a little camera icon. Usually to attach at the bottom it says something about attaching an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh... it finally did it!!!!  Which of the 4 boxes do I choose to reverse so I have the item selected instead of the background... thank you!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2nd icon (subtract) would be an inverse of the first (add).

Normally to create a compound path (like a donut), you can select the entire path, then the 4th icon (exclude) so that the inner sub paths are knocked out of the outside path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I appreciate all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nearly 10 years later and this comment still helped me, Thanks a lot Rick (if you're still around!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RTC Ann

I don't know if you ever solved this problem but I just came across it myself and found a (clumsy?) solution:

1.     Make sure the 'Add to shape area (+)' button is selected in the options bar.

2.     Draw a small, closed path, i.e. a triangle, inside your original path.

3.     Select both paths.

4.     Click the 'Combine' button in the options bar.

5.     The path will now switch to masking the background instead of the contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that if you copy the inverted path (including all the subpaths if it is a compound) and paste it into a new path layer, it will also reverse the path and mask the background, instead of the object. In my experience, it pastes the path into the correct position with the same registration. You may need to re-establish the compound.

However, if the outline of the canvas is included in the path, do not include it in the copy/paste action. Delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines