Skip navigation

"Could not save (file name) because the file is already in use or left open."

Feb 1, 2009 8:16 AM

Latest reply: Trevor Dennis, Apr 18, 2014 2:21 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2010 4:33 PM   in reply to marc@marcyankus.com

It's not the same problem going on for many years (well, except for spotlight, that's been a longstanding problem).

It's just the same warning message from Photoshop telling you about different external problems.

What you're saying is like "I see that all cars say they're low on gas sometimes, so there must be a global gas shortage".

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 4:57 PM   in reply to maplegrovebob

Yes thanks from me also Chris. I noticed the problem in the forums but like the previous writer the problem only started for me when I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

best

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 5:00 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

what do i know. (smile)

My best,

Marc 

marcyankus.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

I am having the same problem and all my files are closed and not open in any other program,  all the programs are also closed. I closed all finder windows.  I am working on Snow Leopard/G5 in PS  SC4.

Has any one created a fix for this?

Are we sure this is an Apple issue not a PS issue? If I call apple they will tell me to call Adobe I am SURE of that.

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 11:36 AM   in reply to bluerosez

Hi bluerosez,

Check out Chris Cox's posts above. According to him, it is an Apple SnowLeopard problem, not Adobe, and Adobe has notified Apple of the bug.

We can only hope that an Apple OS update will soon fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 11:53 AM   in reply to maplegrovebob

Thanks!

What  is really extra strange is that the behavior is not consistent. The last couple of files I saved worked fine.

I hope that Adobe is following up with apple .

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 12:22 PM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

Chris is an employee of Adobe, so I believe him that Apple has been informed.

The problem isn't consistant with me either, but it keeps coming back.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 12:45 PM   in reply to maplegrovebob

Thanks maplegrovebob!!

Chris, have you heard anything from apple as to how long it might take them to fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 1:33 PM   in reply to bluerosez

I had this happen yesterday. Lo and behold, I had forgotten to close Preview before I opened the file in PS. Outside of the occasional "brainfart" when I do that, I've never seen this error. I must be just lucky.

I've never run CS4 with anything but Snow Leopard, and I only had Leopard on this MacBook for 24 hours before the upgrade. (I bought it the day Apple released 10.6, but didn't get the disc till the next morning)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

I haven't seen this with Photoshop, but it happens to me all the time with Illustrator files. I've found that if I have the file selected in the Finder, I'm viewing in column mode and the preview column is active, that's enough for AI to think the file is in use. If I make sure the preview column is not active (i.e "close" the triangle -- sorry, don't know the proper terminology here) then AI will let me save over the file as expected.

I guess when the preview column is active the Finder is actually using the Preview app to render that...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Ok, ok... I've seen this dance before. I read Adobe employee messages blaming Apple, yet, not one other application on my computer, including ones which manipulate images, have the same problem. This to me simply points to an Adobe problem. How have all the other application vendors avoided this problem?

I'm having this problem too. Snow L, all updates, CS4, all updates...

I do not have a similar problem in any. other. application. on. any. computer. I use.

Sorry for the tone but it's hugely frustrating.

sincerely,

Robert

--

Photoshop user since 1.0, Illustrator since v88.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2010 8:15 AM   in reply to robertdenton

Robert,

I think you are bringing up a great point.

My guess is that it is an issue with Apple and Adobe combined, they need to work togther and figure out what is going on.

Most of us have been extremely loyal to both products, it would be nice if they were loyal to us and would get to the bottom of this issue

instead of just blamming.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 12:34 PM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

This problem is new to me with CS4 since Snow Leopard - Sometimes I cannot even Save As - if so

I think the best thing is to flatten then Select All then Copy to a new file

OR if you need layers Copy the Background layer, then drag the other layers to the new file while holding down the shift key.Rename then Save

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to Prenderghast

Actually, the best work around until it is fixed is to drag the saved file to the trash, then save to the same location.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 1:49 PM   in reply to maplegrovebob

That's a good one.

My best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 8:21 PM   in reply to robertdenton

No dance, just the plain and simple truth.

Photoshop is reporting the error, when other applications ignore the error (and do bad things), or just fail with a less specific error.

And we have seen this in other applications (even seen it caused by some of our other apps, which we try to get fixed).

We've seen it multiple times in MacOS as various bugs in the OS get introduced and fixed over time...

We currently have a few bugs open with Apple about related bugs (all subtly different, of course).

I'm sorry you are frustrated, but the Photoshop team cannot fix something happening outside of Photoshop.

And that message means that something outside of Photoshop has the file locked.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

are you in contact personally with Apple or anyone in your team and if so, have you heard any updates about fixing this problem?

Thanks.

My best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Mmm, OK. Thanks.

I can't confirm or deny. Only express my frustration at such an expensive product having such a show stopping bug.

I'm starting to use alternatives. Can't replace it yet but that's the general course.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 3:45 PM   in reply to marc@marcyankus.com

We file the bug with Apple, and pretty much wait for them to get back to us.

If it goes a while without any activity, we may prompt them for an update.

But I haven't heard anything from Apple about these bugs in a long time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to robertdenton

"I can't confirm or deny. Only express my frustration at such an expensive product having such a show stopping bug."

All Photoshop does is report the EXTERNAL problem to you.  The problem is OUTSIDE of Photoshop.

Please, direct your frustration to the responsible party or parties.

My replacement is MacOS 10.5.8 - still much more stable.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 7:29 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks Chris,

I hope you get to prompt them again soon.

My best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 6:23 AM   in reply to marc@marcyankus.com

This is something I've seen Microsoft Office do many times when multiple people are collaborating on a document. Of course in this case, it is by design, and you are dealing with what seems to be an Adobe/Apple issue. To test, show all of the hidden files on your computer by going to Applications/Utilities/Terminal and typing this:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder

Then navigate to wherever that file is normally saved and see if there is a 'hidden' file with a similar filename or extension. If its there, you've found your culprit. Delete that bugger and you're off and running. If you want to go back and hide all of the files when you're done, type he same thing into terminal but replace 'TRUE' with 'FALSE'. killall Finder can also be done by relaunching finder from the dock or force quit menu.

I haven't seen this issue yet with Adobe, but creating temporary hidden files is something that Apple and Microsoft do frequently

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 6:21 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Wow.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to Woodytech

In Photoshop's case, we try really hard not to leave hidden files laying around, and not to be blocked by any hidden files that other apps might leave around (we create new, unique names for temporary files).  We even unlink temporaries so they'll be cleaned up in case of a crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 4:38 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

Schermafbeelding 2010-04-02 om 13.04.38.JPG

Please help!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 12:26 PM   in reply to Ief_DR

Read the previous posts.

You've got to wait, or figure out what other application you have that file open in (could be part of the OS, like Spotlight, CoverFlow, etc.).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2010 11:23 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

I called Apple and was told that if I updated to 10.6.3 it might fix the bug. I just did this.  So far so good. I think Apple might have fixed the bug. I was able to save the file I normally get the error message with. I hope every does the same and are happy with the results. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2010 11:29 AM   in reply to bluerosez

The bug comes and goes so you never know when it will show up.

I hope 10.6.3 works but I think it's to early to tell. A few weeks of 

usage will give us all a better sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2010 11:40 AM   in reply to marc@marcyankus.com

UGGG ...........Marc you are so correct. I spoke to soon. The bug just showed up. This is so frustrating, it seems to happen more often when i save to an external drive. What is odd is when I first restarted everything and tested it, it saved with no problem, then a few minutes later I saved again and

it showed up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 9:41 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

I struggled with this same issue for a long time but may have figured it out. In your Photoshop Preferences menu, turn on Version Cue. (or off if it's already on) Worked for me and since this is an Adobe issue, I guess I'm not surprised. Hope it works for you too!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 10:32 AM   in reply to rembrandtgos

Well well! I had been searching on this topic since October 2009, when I got a new hard drive and Snow Leopard.

Our I.T. guy thinks it's an Apple problem (yes, I too download every new version/fix).  For me, I think it's the Windows server we use here that's fighting with Snow Leopard. I can save all the live-long day to my own hard drive, but only the first time (of the day on a particular file) on the network drive, then I have to go to a Save As, or save it to my HD and copy it back to the network, overwriting the original file.

But! Today I noticed that suddenly I CAN save to the network.  I'll ask the I.T. if he did anything new/different, but I looked and saw that there was a OSX software update to 10.6.3 Build 10D573 on March 31, 2010. Given that I was used to working off my hard drive to get around the problem, I guess I didn't notice the difference.  Upon finding this thread, however, I tested saving with Adobe and non-Adobe programs on the network, and the problem has mysteriously disappeared.  Hmmm.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

I'm also having this problem in Indesign CS4 and Photoshop/Snow Leopard -- didn't have this problem in CS3 or Leopard. CS4 and Snow Leopard seem to fighting one another. Indesign does not let me rewrite PDFs with the same name, I get the "in use/don't have permission" error message. Photoshop gives the "In use/left open" error message. No other applications open (when it started I assumed that Preview had opened the file but that isn't the case). I've also noticed that if I have a mail message that contains an attachment of the same name I get the message.

The only work around (Indesign PDF) that I have found is deleting the PDf file before I try to rewrite it. Photoshop: I save as another name and immediately have to go and delete the other file I was trying to rewrite so I don't have the links screwed up on my final documents. What a pain...

I really don't care if it's Adobe or Apple -- just fix it already.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 12:05 PM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

Just to make sure, you guys aren't leaving the preview in the Finder column view showing, are you? Sometimes with Photoshop, but always with Illustrator, if I have the preview showing in the Finder I cannot save over the document. If I close the preview (either by turning the triangle, or by clicking off of the file) I can immediately save again.

This was not an issue before Snow Leopard.

preview_closed.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 3:19 PM   in reply to bpylant

I have had it while the preview is being drawn, if it strikes while preview is being created it will linger afterwards.  If I wait or turn off preview it does not happen.  This report is a bit out of date as I discovered it last year and it has not been happening lately either due to my workaround or something else I don't know... It was never consistent, but definitely was connected to the preview issue for me.  I had some large files that took a long time to process into previews on my low spec system.

Currently 10.5.8 Imac 24.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 9:38 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

Recently a new, but very similar, problem has arisen: "The disk copy of "name_document.psd" was changed since you last opened or saved it. Do you want to save anyway?" (see image below)

Schermafbeelding 2010-04-19 om 18.44.42.JPG

Again, I had no other apps that opened the file. This is a giant photoshop bug. Photoshop mistakenly thinks the .psd-file is opened/edited by another app.

Please Adobe fix this problem...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 10:58 AM   in reply to Shlomit Heymann

Try this:

http://www.hamsoftengineering.com/products/wkm/wkm.html

Ief_DR wrote:

Please Adobe fix this problem...

Are you unable to read and process the previous posts in this thread and the other thread in which you participated? You are asking the wrong company to fix this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 6:43 PM   in reply to rembrandtgos

Yes,

That worked perfectly

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2010 7:53 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Hi Marian,

Today, several times photoshop gave me the error-message. I tried the app you provided (http://www.hamsoftengineering.com/products/wkm/wkm.html). Screenshot included here: there was no app doing something with the.psd-file. I can read, this is indeed a giant photoshop-bug. It has nothing to to with timemachine or a virus-scanner.

Schermafbeelding 2010-04-21 om 10.55.58.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2010 8:12 AM   in reply to Ief_DR

Your issue is different than what is happening in this thread.

Your issue is that something modified the file since you opened it with Photoshop. Photoshop can still save.

The issue of this thread is that something is locking the file and Photoshop cannot save. That is what my link was intended to address. I'm sorry that I did not well distinguish the content in my last post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 2:24 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

OK let me chip in here as this has been driving me mad but I think I have found the culprit (in my particular case anyway) and hope it may help others…

Problem:

I am getting the "could not save ".." because the file is already in use or was left open" while using Photoshop, in this case I am saving Jpegs but I suspect it would be the same for other formats too.

Overview:

I have a 1 week old Macbok Pro running 10.6.3 and a fresh install of CS4 suite. Photoshop is v11.0.2. I have not done a single job or even saved one file yet in Indesign or Illustrator - so I can safely say that neither of those apps are the culprits for hogging the jpeg file through links or in any other way.

Narrowing it down…

1. The problem DOES happen when I have the files open in the finder in icon view (large, as it happens).

2. The problem DOES NOT HAPPEN when the file is opened, edited and saved the first time (ONCE).

3. The problem DOES happen when I do a further edit and try to save again for a second time.

4. The problem DOES NOT happen when the files in the finder are in list view.

5. The problem DOES NOT happen when I am browsing and opening the files through bridge instead.

So based on the above, and I am no expert, but it leads me to think that it is the Finder hogging the file while it recreates the icon in the finder window after Photoshop has saved it, particularly point #3 suggests this.

Solution: (worked for me anyway)

Go to Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling

And underneath "image previews - Always save"

Make sure that "Icon" is UNCHECKED. It must be the case that this is conflicting with the Finder's own icon generation, hence the finder not "letting go" of the file.

If you look carefully in the background now when you are saving the file, the icon disappears momentarily and re-appears - which it did not do before.

The only side effect is that the icons n the finder now have a think white border and a black keyline egde - but this is in addition to the original icons size anyway so it does not even result in a smaller icon. I can live with that.

Hope this helps for some of you guys, I have no idea about the problem occurring in other applications.

Rick.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)