Skip navigation

Layers: Copy, Cut and Paste

May 5, 2009 6:27 PM

Latest reply: Bert Adams, Jun 11, 2010 12:14 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to harry teasley

Harry,

Read it over, did a search for "Active" and "Selected" through the thread. Although there are several times where it is stated that an "Active" layer is not necessarily a "Selected" layer, because you "Select" content, it still does not address just HOW you can select a layer, or it's contents so that it can be copied.

As I've said, all the books (Well, I've got 4 on my desk saying it), that you can copy a layer in PS, and then Paste it in DW.

So the direct question remains, How does one copy a layer? Copy it so that the edit menu is no grayed out. If this means Selecting the layer in a specific manner, what is this selection process?

It's a direct question.

Can't copy a layer, the Edit menu is grayed out. How does one select one, and only one layer, so that it can be copied, (IE, the Edit menu is not grayed out).

The long work around is that you can select a layer, (Well, highlight it at least), drag it to a new blank PS Doc, and then Select All > Copy, and then Past into DW.

So the question remains, how does one select one layer, so that it can be copied?

Thanks,

Bert

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 2:12 PM   in reply to Bert Adams

All that information is in the thread, several times. Ctrl-A to select the entire contents of the layer, Ctrl-C to copy it.

You didn't start off that way. You started off saying "I can't copy a layer ... The Copy option on the edit menu is grayed out". The reason for that is explained in the thread. You asked "How do I get it so that copy is no longer grayed out??" and you got your answer in the next post, six minutes after you asked.

For further help on using the program, I would direct you to the main PS forum, and not the feature request forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 11:36 PM   in reply to Bert Adams
    The long work around is that you can select a layer, (Well, highlight it at least), drag it to a new blank PS Doc, and then Select All > Copy, and then Past into DW.

Why drag it into a new document?

One can’t copy a Photoshop-Layer, only its content.

And to do that it needs to be selected, thus »Select All« (although that would not include out-of-canvas content).

Have you tried simply dragging the Layer (no Selection) from the Layers Panel into the Dreamweaver window?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 9:25 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

"Why drag it into a new document?"

Because then I can Select it in the new doc to copy it to DW.

"One can’t copy a Photoshop-Layer, only its content.

And to do that it needs to be selected, thus »Select All« (although that would not include out-of-canvas content)."

So I hear. Have to SELECT ALL.

What's interesting, is this ONLY works for selecting ONE LAYER. If you try it on Two Layers, Select All will select the entire Document, not just the two layers you thought you had.

Certainly not as advertised in the documentation.

"Have you tried simply dragging the Layer (no Selection) from the Layers Panel into the Dreamweaver window?"

Yes I have. Dreamweaver does not accept drag ins like that. Things have to be Pasted in. So that means they have to be Copied from Photoshop.

I've been admonished for asking my questions on this Forum. This is where my question was sent by the Adobe website.

True, I'm not asking for a "NEW FEATURE", I'm just trying to get the current program to work as it says it should in the documentation.

Thanks,

Bert

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 9:52 AM   in reply to Bert Adams
    What's interesting, is this ONLY works for selecting ONE LAYER. If you try it on Two Layers, Select All will select the entire Document, not just the two layers you thought you had.

With two Layers selected You copy nothing (except maybe if You additionally have a Path selected or if You use Copy Merged).

Simply select a Layer, Select All and Copy will transfer the Canvas area-content of that Layer to the Clipboard – you don’t need a new Document for that.

You can’t copy a Layer as such in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 10:45 AM   in reply to harry teasley

harry teasley wrote:

Just drag the layer to the New Layer button on your Layers palette. Or give Duplicate Layer a keyboard shortcut you like.

My point: your feature exists in Photoshop already.

My real point: the workflow in PS is not the same as in Photo-paint. Get over it.

No need to be hostile... He did take the initiative to switch over to the better program.  And he does make a valid point.. it's work flow conducive.

Unless any of you guys write the code for Photoshop you can't say if the code can be altered or not to do this feature.  If the code is written to work like that in another program then it's pretty obvious that it can work in any program... But since Photoshop is a more complex program it means it'll probably need a bit more complexity in the code in order for it to work accordingly to the way the request was asked... Is it feasible for Adobe to implement it? That's a question only Adobe can answer. Is it a request others would like to see? Maybe not. I could careless if they changed it... IF they did and was more conducive to my work flow then I say thank you to the programmer for implementing it and thank to this poster for suggesting it.  But it's not a real high on the list of features to implement.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 11:38 AM   in reply to GusDoeMatik

GusDoeMatik wrote:

No need to be hostile... He did take the initiative to switch over to the better program.  And he does make a valid point.. it's work flow conducive.

That's not hostile, it's simply unsympathetic. And it came at the end of him posting several threads that all had the same objective: "change the UI of Photoshop to be more like Photo Paint." He pretty much spammed the forum with them.

It's only workflow conducive if you're certain there's nothing confusing or counter-intuitive that can arise from implementing the feature. Currently, PS does not have a notion of selecting UI widgets. They can be active, but not selected. The request has a potential to seriously mess with the fundamentals of the UI.

Requests that don't care about UI consistency or logic aren't requests that I usually support. When someone like sfjedi posts (for lack of a better word) "thoughts", that show up in my inbox because I once participated in the thread, they get the response they deserve.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 12:14 PM   in reply to sfjedi

Hi Folks,

I've never used Corel anything.

I was just trying to follow the documentation from Dreamweawer, it says you can copy layers from Photoshop, and place them in Dreamweaver.

But, as we've found out, you can't do that.

Need an extra step. Open a new Photoshop doc, drag the layer you want into that new doc. Then copy the new doc into DW.

I wasn't trying to create a ruckus, just figure out why what's in the documentation wasn't working, and how to get it to work.

It would seem intuitive, given that most everything in Adobe works with a Cntrl-C to copy, that this SHOULD work. But it don't.

Smiles All,

Bertrum

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers