Skip navigation

Flash Builder 4 ETA?

Jun 1, 2009 11:33 AM

Latest reply: Daniel Pride, Mar 22, 2010 12:06 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2010 8:51 PM   in reply to Daniel Pride

Hi Dan,

Despite your frustrations your posts in general seem to show you are enjoying the challenge, and at the end of the day once we have paid the bills isn't the challenge what gets us away from the mundane and boring part of development. I bet within a few more months of perserverance with the parts of FB4 that frustrate you a small light will flick on and then it becomes a matter of what you can do with FB4 not what FB4 can do for you.

David.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 2:58 PM   in reply to David_F57

OK I'm sold.

Just did my first set of skins in FB4

So easy I thought I was back doing Mac Draw on my 500k Ram Mac

Naming Convention comments stand tho, it needs to be less obtuse.

Dan Pride

P.S. appologize for taking up so much board time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 5:10 PM   in reply to si-robertson

Could somebody explain to me why in this internet day and age, why one needs more than 2 days (opposed to weeks or months) to release a product and make it available for purchase?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 5:27 PM   in reply to Frustrated Entusiast

It's a pretty telling question that shows a massive lack of understanding in what goes on in software development for large scale business.

Preparing a download has to be the smallest issue in commercial release, leaving aside QA, legal and packaging issues (and I don't mean the colour of the cardboard box), there is training for support staff, distribution of sales collateral, agreement on pricing in multiple markets and in multiple languages, training of sales staff, updates to sales inventory systems plus (I'm sure) a ton of other details that involve a mass of people worldwide.

If nothing else, I'm sure the organisation of the release publicity events will take much more than two days.

Frustrated Entusiast wrote:

Could somebody explain to me why in this internet day and age, why one needs more than 2 days (opposed to weeks or months) to release a product and make it available for purchase?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 8:11 PM   in reply to Frustrated Entusiast

Hi Frustrated,

Why can you not let this go, One thing is in this day and age release cycles have been shortened by the internet, the massive logistics of manufacturing and distribution have been shortened considerable from the good old days when electronic distribution was not available, it used to add 3-6 months for product to be manufactured and distributed globally once the decision to go gold had been made.

Today, once a major vendor decides its time, its a matter of a weeks not months to prepare and distribute electronically.

As far as the development cycle the internet has an adverse affect on release cycles becuase instead of an extremely restricted external testing the world becomes a test target. Things closed testing would usually miss get discovered and fixed rather than put into production, I can remember in the good old days when you would go in to buy a piece of software and attached to the box was an update disk to repair dozens of problems that had been discovered only after release(or worst still, a small pamphlet explaining all the thing that may go wrong and to look out for while waiting for distribution of a patch disk).

Today we don't have to go by the old way of purchasing by waiting for the cleaned up version of a buggy release.

At this very minute there is nothing preventing anyone from releasing flex 4 developed software into the market place, it would be fool-hardy but judging from many comments in these forums its obvious the concept of beta is misunderstood by way to many people.

We have been told, by the guys you seem to enjoy taking cheap shots at, that its time, so I spent my weekend cleaning up my bits and pieces and getting ready to move across to my release cycle. Tell me are you ready for the release of Flashbuilder ?.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 9:33 PM   in reply to David_F57

Its time to stop the complaining and shell out for the product you have been asking for

http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/ 

To all the guys at Adobe, your efforts and dedication to the community during this release cycle have been amazing just wish I was a little closer to go buy you guys a real beer

Thanks for all your efforts and enjoy the release celebrations.

David.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 11:03 PM   in reply to David_F57

Let's just hope that quality of the new Tour de Farce version is not indicative of anything.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/web/#

How could the left side tree menu be so messed up and so buggy?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2010 11:31 PM   in reply to Frustrated Entusiast

Hi Frustrated,

You couldn't help yourself could you...

Seems from your very first post some 11 months ago all you have done is complain, nothing satisfys you, you bagged flex in a week, you bag community support, you bag tour-de-flex(seems to work fine btw), you bag explainations to release cycles and the worst, you bag the staff of Adobe that put in a great deal of time to assist the community in general.

I just don't get it, If the flex world leaves such a bad taste for you there are alternatives you can take, possibly one being happy pills. No one is forcing you to participate in the flex world, I am sure you could go across to the dark-side and be just as frustrated with Silverlight.

Flashbuilder has been released and the dev team will be gearing up for the next round of improvements, so you have 2 choices, you are either in or you're out but enough of the whining adolescent behaviour.

David.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2010 12:06 AM   in reply to Frustrated Entusiast

>Let's just hope that quality of the new Tour de Farce version is not  indicative of anything.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/web/#

Actually,... lets hope it is.

This is pretty cool stuff

Irregardless of the career slicing sarcasm

Thanks for pointing out the update, pure gold nuggets.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points