• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Stroke/Scale Problem- scale all whacked "Apply to content" vs "adjust scaling percentage"

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have multiple photos of various sizes that I am importing in and resizing down to the same size in inDesign. I want to put a consistently sized stroke on all my photos in my layout.  I have set my preferences in "Apply to content" vs "adjust scaling percentage" to apply to content.

I resize all my photos in indesign. Some of the photos are scaling down properly and when they do the default size returns to a 100% on the control bar. But some of the photos are not resetting.

I have tried different preference settings but cant get the some of the images to reset. I want the scale effects to be assigned to the graphic frame box and to reset my strokes and not the photo.

Because of all the resized scaling the photo maybe resized 33% and the box 50% and the stroke is definitely not a proper size ie 4pt it might be 2pt, it might be 1pt. I want to reassign all my strokes to be consistent but often it doesn't work.

Another example - If I have 10 placed photos for example and some are scaled down to 5% some 33% some 7% one 50% one 20% - and I select all ten photos and I assign a 20pt stroke, 9 will accept the 20pt scale, one, the 50% reduced one will be 10pt. I can't get it to reset.

Another example if I select 3 photos of varying strokes (#1@5%10pt stroke - #2@80%5pt stroke - #3@50%4pt stroke), the stroke size in the control bar will be grayed out obviously. If I assign a 20pt stroke, two of the three will accept the stroke, 20pt - the one scaled 50% will be 10pt or if it was 75% it would be 5pt stroke).

I don't know if it is because the preferences might have been set to "adjust scaling percentage" originally when the document was created or what? I have open and closed the document, reset the preferences. Cutting and pasting the image out of the frame doesn't work, if the image is scaled 50% and you then assign a 20pt stoke it will be visually 10pts. It gets really frustrating when you line up 100 images visually at 2pts and make a design change to 3 or 4 pts because visually it is only slightly out of whack but you have to manually reset multiple times.

Is there a way to turn of scale stroke effects in indesign or is there any suggested solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Window>Object&Layout>Transform ---> panel menu > uncheck Adjust Stroke Weight whrn Scaling (You´ll find it in Control Panel´s menu as well, when you have nothing selected)

tra.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying, that was half of it, definitely fixed the stroke scaling part!

The other half of it was "redefine scaling to 100%" once the objects were selected.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this is an old post; probably you already found the answer. In case anyone else ends up here looking for how to reset the scaling of an object to 100%, here is the answer form Adobe's documentation, which worked for me in a similar situation:

Reset scaling value to 100%

In some cases, you may want to reset the Scale X and Scale Y values of an object to 100% without resizing the object. For example, you may have opened a document from a previous version of InDesign that has non-100% scaling values, or you may have scaled an object with the Adjust Scaling Percentage preference setting selected. When you choose this command, the scaling values for all selected frames are reset to 100%. Choosing this command does not change the size or appearance of objects.

1. Select one or more objects that have non-100% scaling values.  This command is dimmed if you direct-select an imported image or if an object has 100% scaling values.
  2. Choose Redefine Scaling As 100% from the Transform or Control panel menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Man i was looking for this for quite some time. Why dont they have this also in some of the menu's???

Being able to scale everything is nice, but when you working with text all thise different measuremnts showing with double font sizes is driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines