Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

white space between stoke and frame?  is it possible?

Nov 9, 2008 10:41 PM

maybe this is easier than I thought but for the life of me I can't think of a way to put a set amount of space between a graphic frame and the stroke.

Thanks, Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2008 1:25 AM   in reply to (New_Bie)
    Illustrator has an Offset Path function which will do this easily; InDesign doesn't have this unfortunately.

You might try making a copy of the graphic and PASTE IN PLACE. Remove any fill or picture from the paste. You can then use the width/height text fields to add a specific amount to the pasted graphic frame. In the width/height boxes, type +n (where n is the amount of space you want to add). You can also mix units providing you type in the appropriate indicator. Egyour units are in inches, you want to add 12 points; after the 'in' in the boxes, type +12pt. Use in for inches, pt for points, mm for millimetres, cm for centimetres.

Works when I tried it.

J

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2008 2:29 AM   in reply to (New_Bie)
    If you make the content of the graphic frame smaller than the frame you can move it with the direct selection tool so you get a space around the image between image and frame-stroke.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2008 3:19 AM   in reply to (New_Bie)
    Why not make a custom stroke style?

With a type 'Striped', set the top half to black -- 0..50%. Both the top and bottom half can be coloured independently using Stroke and Gap colour. If you want an offset of 2 pts, make the line 4 pts thick. You can enter values in mm or other units; but it always gets displayed in points, just like text size.

You cannot use it right away for a 'transparent' (see-through) offset outline; half of the line thickness falls over the image, and that's the half that is drawn transparently. If you need this, set the 'black' part of the line not to 0..50%, but to 0..25%, and make the outline again twice as thick.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2008 7:15 AM   in reply to (New_Bie)
    If by 'Transparent' you need the background paper color to show through, then use the 'paper' swatch on the Gap color. If you want objects to show through, that won't work.

-mt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2008 8:55 AM   in reply to (New_Bie)
    >If you want objects to show through, that won't work.

Sure it will, see my third paragraph. I took my time testing it, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 7:50 AM   in reply to (New_Bie)

I need to do this too. I'm now convinced that Adobe is withholding features from InDesign to enourage people to buy the next version. Illustrator can offset stroke, there is no reason why InDesign shouldn't be able to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 7:59 AM   in reply to william_900

You reopened a dead thread to post a conspiracy theory?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Well I've got my tinfoil hat back on now! http://motherjones.com/files/legacy/news/outfront/2007/11/outfront-conspircay-watch-tin-foil-hat-small.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2010 9:34 AM   in reply to william_900

"I want a Craquelere filter on my text! Photoshop can do that, so it's obvious InDesign could do it too."

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 8:46 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

I'd implicate Mr. Knoll himself for withholding it. I think it is up to you, Bob and a one legged Indian to track it down. While tracking that down please riddle him why he hasn't incorporated the KPT Goo filter into InDesign, that is the only thing preventing me from switching from Quark 3.31

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to macinbytes

KPT!

Now how many readers will instantly identify that abbreviation?

(Did they really have a plugin version for Quark, of all things imaginable!? I thought it was Photoshop-only.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 11:00 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Yep, that's a perfect analogy. Of course a vector program should be able to do what a bitmap program by the same manufacturer can do. You are so clever.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 2:34 PM   in reply to william_900

Me, clever? No, I got all those points out of pity. Every-one here is so nice to me!

Despite the odd plea here and there, I don't think InDesign will ever going to evolve into Illustrator plus Photoshop plus Framemaker plus Dreamweaver plus Flash Editor plus, eh, what did I forgot? Excel. Plus it also should be able to do your taxes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 2:55 PM   in reply to william_900

He's modest too...

Harbs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to Harbs.

It's my biggest flaw.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 4:00 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

Silly me thinking a feature that would greatly aid in page layout, already developed in similar vector-based software, be included in a page layout program. If only InDesign's dictionary had a "Convert to Sarcasm" feature I'd have something really sarcastic to say.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 4:17 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

[Jongware] wrote:

Plus it also should be able to do your taxes.

If only. What I just paid the accountant would more than cover an upgrade for the suite I think... 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to william_900

William, did you not see the suggestion for creating a custom strok style? No it's not as automatic as ofsetting the stroke in Illy, but it works.

ID is a page layout program with a fair bit of vector editing capability, but not the full range of waht can be done in Illustrator. The convers is equally true.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)