• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flash player stopped working, followed threads, has not helped, any suggestions??

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Im using vista home basic,on a note book i got last year. the flash player was working fine until last week, at that time i updated to ie 8 and flash 10.

The player hasnt worked since. The playback is very choppy, just a series of fotos realy. The settings dont respond. Also it freezes the page into wich it is embedded.and the rest of the system to a lesser extent.  ihave followed the instructions about reinstalling and using the uninstaller, ensuring that i reboot inbetween. no difference. its a 32bitoperating system with 1gb of ram. I understand that flash wont work in  64bit ie, ive looked under the help on ie and as it doesnt mention that its 64 i understand that means it must be 32? ,,,,I realy hope you can help!!!  going off on a bit of a tangent,,, but this 'failure' of flash is realy quite scary! it makes you realise just how entrenched it is in every day life! its like the end of civilisation! no facebook,,,no utube, no online news!!! helllllllllp!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start at the beginning.  You mentioned that Flash Player worked before on the same system, so then it's no question about 64bit vs. 32bit.

You also mention that it basically works; it just doesn't show contents smoothly.  Let's test it: go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ - can you see the Flash animation, and some version information underneath it?

If so, Flash Player is correctly installed and working.

But your Flash Player content is not running smoothly.  I am not sure what we can do about this, but I would try to clean up some of the clutter that accumulates on the computer over time.  I and many friends are using CCleaner to do this.  CCleaner will help you to clean temporary files, browser cache, cookies, Flash Player cache, Java cache, and a lot more.  (Don't check Cookies cleaning until you have configured the login cookies you want to keep, under Options | Cookies.  Also, don't use the "registry cleaning" portion of the product, as it may cause more damage than do any good.)

Next I would try disk defragmentation, either with Windows' own defragger, or the free 3rd-party Defraggler, from the same company that makes CCleaner.  Note that both CCleaner and Defraggler may run for quite a long time when using for the first time.

Report back how it is going.

P.S. next we will be looking at the settings not responding, and perhaps some more cleaning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for reply,

with regards to the 64bit v the 32 question,, i was refering to the browser, i read that there is a 64bit ie browser and that i may have inadvertently downloaded this when I put on ie8.

I clicked on link, yes I saw animation.

I have allready used the windows defragmenter and disc cleaner. I also used the eusing free registry scan.

none of this has helped.

Thanks rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may get a bit confusing if we keep like two threads in this topic.  So I will give two more little info, and then I will stay out of it.  (Eidnolb is very well versed in handling these kind of problems.)

1. CCleaner does a lot more than Windows disk cleaner; I would give it a try.  (But take care of your login cookies.)
  2. Performance issues may also be caused by too many processes running in the background.  I use Startup Inspector to control what processes are started at Windows start.  Almost half of these I have disabled, and my almost 10 years old computer runs very smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richie, Take a deep breath and relax. If we can't find the problem and fix it, I'll send you off to Microsoft.

Sometimes a major update can cause a glitch, so the first thing we want to see is what Flash Player files are installed or

not installed. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Right click on the Flash folder and post back all files that

are listed there.

Then in Tools, manage add ons, find Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx (vs 10.0.45.2) and make sure it is enabled. If it is not there or if another version is listed, I need to know that.

Are you using any thired party Toolbars? As?

Any other browsers? As?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - second time today that we replied almost at the same time... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I saw your post when I hit post message:-)  Sometimes around here it is feast or famine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thanks for reply,

Deep breath!!!

Ok these are the files that are in the flash folder.

flash10e.ocx

flashuntil 10e

install

uninstall active x

I opened the manage add ons, there is no mention of flash at all.

I deleted all my add on tool bars.

I did install firefox, hence all this trouble. when i decided to go back to ie. and reinstalled it,,,thats when all problems started.

Thanks

rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2010 Mar 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richie, (Thanks Bob) The Flash files are correct. The fact that you can't find the SWO(Shockwave Flash Object) would

certainly be a problem. IE8 I think has "View and manage your Internet Explorer add-ons" and I think down at the left bottom is a "All add-on" with a down arrow. Check again if you would.

When you say you had FF(Firefox) then went back to IE and "reinstalled" it. Not sure what you re-installed. Anyway

there are no FF Flash files in your Flash folder.

If you don't find the SWO, then an Uninstall/Install of Flash Player would be needed. That SWO is the ActiveX Control and works with your Flash files, and must be installed.

Now if we have to do that, we need to make sure that an Anti-Virus/Spyware/Firewall is disabled so as to not block the

install of the SWO. That could have been what happened before. So that info is important.

If you want the FF browser that is not a problem. It would be better, in my opinion to install it now. That way when we

run the Install you can install FP(Flash Player) in FF as well as IE.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey eidnolb,

Thanks for continued support.

Regards browser, I meant that I installed ff, then decided to go back to ie, so reinstalled ie, from the microsoft site.

Went back to the manage add on page.  As I said before, the swo doesnt show there, under currently loaded add ons , but following your instructions clicked on all add ons, and its there. swo version 10.0.45.2. it is enabled.

I have currently disabled all, spyware, and virus firewall, and am going to try to reinstall it using the procedure, u out lined in another thread regards rebooting and using the adobe uninstaller.

am gonna stay with ie, to keep things simple,,,lol

will post results.

thanks

rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richie, glad you found the SWO. I knew it had to be there somewhere, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to see

the animation.

You don't have to Uninstall/Install now. You have all correct files for IE.

When the FP files and the SWO are correct then a third party add on, etc is a problem most likely.

You don't have bitdefender do you?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey,

my player still isnt working,

i have been cleaning up my system, defrging etc. i thought it may have been a problem there, but no change. anyway ive downloaded some flv files and it wont play those smoothly either, so i guess its not a problem with my bandwith.

i dont have bit defender, and i disabled all browser add ons, all windows defender apps, and all  virus software before installing.

rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richie, From what I understand you to say is that you Uninstalled Flash Player and Ran the offline Installer for IE.

It appears you have done what Bob suggested in addition to some other clean up of your own.

What files are listed in your Flash folder now and is the Shockwave Flash Object vs 10.0.45.2 installed and enabled?

Since you disabled all that you have listed, you should have had a clean Uninstall and Install.

If you Flash files are correct and the SWO is correct then if you are still having a problem, like I said before, it is most likely an add on. Remember you had the correct Flash files and the SWO before, and were still having a problem.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2010 Apr 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my flash player still isnt working properly, I have waited a few weeks hoping that, if it was a problem with the player there may be a fix by now.

I have to say that considering the many people who seem to be having trouble with this, updated player the total lack of any help from adobe is outrageous!

I have followed all suggestions posted here, to the letter and still, the player hangs the browser and then crashes!   This is totaly unfair! Adobe seem to think that since they now have a virtual monopoly, they can do what they like. Outrageous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, ok, just a quick review. Flash files in the Flash folder are the same and the SWO still the same? Still Vista/IE8? Did you install FF or only using IE8?

If the above is the same, then we are going to have to look at your add ons, toolbars and Anti-Virus. Something is causing a conflict, as back in March you had the correct IE Flash files installed and the correct SWO add on.

Since the forum is without the attachment feature, you will need to either send a screenshot of your add ons (All add ons)

or type them in.

What Anti-Virus/Spyware program(s) are you using and please list the version. Also does it include a Firewall and if not, do you use any third party Firewall, or just the Windows Firewall?

I realize you had turned all of that off, etc. before. However, unless you know how to disable the various components, something may still be running or a component is installed via a Toolbar and affects your browser. So that is why I need that info.

Also go to Programs and Features and check and see if you have the DLM listed or getPlus.

Pop up blocker or ad-block in use?

Something is preventing Flash Player from working properly and that is what we are going to attempt to find out.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for reply;

Heres some shots from the browsers manage add on tab, with the adobe addons expanded as well. Please realise that I have tried running flash with all the add ons apart from adobe, disabled unfortunately this didnt help.  I have realised that flash will work with some websites, it seems the higher the reoloution, the more problems. But as i said earlier I have downloaded flashfiles from these sites to my harddrive and they still dont play properly. I will get back with more info, in my next post, im finding the add foto function in this forum a real pain!!!!!

shot 2.jpgshot3.jpgshot4.jpgshot1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heres a repost of the expanded adobe tabs, so u can see the versions. Obviously unreadable in last postshot 4.jpgshot3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heres a shot of my flash filesshot5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I use avast free av 10000424-0 real time shield is switched off

I use the windows fire wall it has been disabled while i try to sort this out

I dont have any popup blockers

dlm is installed from an earlier attempt to reinstall  the player, i guess the uninstall package doesnt delete that.

i have a sis mirarge 3g video card,,,could it be that its just not compatible with the fp?

i wonder if the divx control is incompatible, with the new fp (i have tried disabling it, to no affect)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Richie, thanks for all the screenshots and info. I'll review everything and get back to you as soon as I can.

Just glancing over some of the info, I see a few things that can and probably causing conflicts.

Hopefully, we can get this cleared up for you.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines