Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why doesn't Photoshop see my scanner or the plugin? (Mac OS)

Jan 3, 2012 12:53 PM

Just loaded CS4 on Mac 10.5.7.  I downloaded and installed the  latest OSX Epson 1240U scanner software, and also copied the Twain plugin from the Adobe Goodies CD to the Photoshop > Plugins > Import/Export folder.  Rebooted the computer, power off and unplugged my USB scanner, fired it back up, restarted Photoshop, etc.   The scanner software works fine in stand-alone mode.

But Photoshop doesn't see my scanner at all.  In fact, the TWAIN plugin doesn't even show up in the plugins folder list.

Whaz goin' on?  How do I fix this?

Thanks, Lou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2009 3:15 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Because CS4 moved the TWAIN plugin to optional plugins -- too many buggy scanner drivers were causing Photoshop to crash, and Adobe has no control over those buggy scanner drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 3:15 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Also, that's an ANCIENT scanner (I know, I have one right here :-).

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 13, 2009 3:19 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Lou,

First of all, you install the TWAIN plug-in at your own risk in CS4.  It was intentionally left out of the default CS4 installation for a good reason, namely that many scanner drivers will give you grief.

In addition, it's more efficient to scan outside of Photoshop instead of tying up an expensive application to call upon the scanner's software anyway.

Beyond that, there should be no problem if you installed the scanner driver correctly.  Exactly how did you do it?

Another thing is to respect the default Photoshop installation meticulously.  Do not move the Photoshop icon or the Photoshop folder, do not create subfolders for them, etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 13, 2009 3:30 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Also, that's an ANCIENT scanner (I know, I have one right here :-).

Chris makes a very good point.   The driver for that scanner was probably never updated for Universal Binary.  If that's the case, there's no way that it will run from within Photoshop on your brand new Mac-Intel machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 4:50 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Lou Dina wrote:

Chris/Ramon:

Thanks for your answers. Like I said, the scanner software seems to work fine in stand-alone mode.  I'm just used to importing scanned images directly from within PS.

That's because its running in Rosetta. If you just start up Photoshop CS4 its going to run natively with the Intel chips. the plugin written for the PowerPC chip is ignored as it does not work. You could fire up Photoshop in rosetta then it would probably work although that would defeat the whole purpose of a new faster computer.

Do what most all of us do. Scan as a stand alone.

It seems silly to tie up $1000 application to run a scanner you can buy for $20 on ebay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2009 5:29 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Welcome to Mac. I hope you enjoy.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 13, 2009 7:19 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Hi Lou,

Just to expand on Buko's explanation, CS4 runs natively on your Mac-Intel, but the plug-in has to run in Rosetta software emulation,  Rosetta in effect mimics the presence of a PowerPC chip (pre-Intel) in your new machine.  Since Photoshop is running natively in the Mac-Intel environment of your computer and the scanner driver has to run in the Rosetta emulation environment, the two cannot see each other or talk to each other.

When you launch the scanner's software by itself, it runs in Rosetta emulation and does not have to worry about communicating with Photoshop.

Of course, Rosetta emulation brings with it a MASSIVE performance hit, as Buko implies.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Jul 13, 2009 8:28 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Lou,

You have always been a rock of stability and an inexhaustible source of good information and sound advice in the Color Management forum.  Now that you've moved to the Mac, we're delighted to have you here too.  I'm sure there will be plenty of us eager to help you here, if we can.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2009 6:49 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

Hope you can still help with this question.  Have a 2 year old Intel IMac. I have both CS3 and CS4 installed. My Epson scanner is only 2 years old and works fine from within CS3 Photoshop. I just installed the CS4 and now I have no scanner inside Photoshop. Downloaded the Epson driver for OS 10.6 and CS3 Photoshop works fine just like always. Isn't CS3 native for the Intel Mac. I scan directly in Photoshop to save time and may scan 3 or 4 photos at one time. If I have to scan outside Photoshop then open in Photoshop I am wasting time. Guess I will try Rosetta if I can  figure it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2009 9:02 AM   in reply to eaglegs

by default the TWAIN.plugin is not installed in CS4

BTW you really need to learn how to scan without using Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2009 11:48 AM   in reply to Buko.

I love using my scanner with photoshop CS4. My Epson software can not scan multiple pictures at one time auto crop and straighten them at the same time. One scan using the photoshop it will automatic crop and straighten photos. I can scan 12 or more wallets and with one scan and it will crop straighten and create its own file. Thats the difference between a 20 dollar program and a 1000 dollar program. Time is money and if you want to do 20 scan for 20 wallets it is up to you, I would rather scan once and be done with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2009 11:20 AM   in reply to Aspen Studio

Photoshop doesn't scan.  Photoshop itself has no scanning interface, and knows nothing about how to talk to a scanner.

Photoshop indirectly calls the scanner drivers installed by your scanner manufacturer through a standard interface known as TWAIN.

Unfortunately, the drivers have increasingly been crashing due to bugs in the drivers -- causing a lot of headaches for Photoshop users and developers.

So, rather than suffer crashes, we moved the TWAIN plugin to an optional install.

The scanning program that comes with your scanner is the same software that Photoshop was calling through the driver.

If you need better scanning software, talk to your scanner maker.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 10:08 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

The scanner works great for me using a G5 mac and CS4. as stated in your e-mail to me there is a optional install to do this. So photoshop does have software out there for scanning. Some users may have issues but I am not.

James Garber

aspen studio

1913 S. Washington St.

Grand Forks, ND 58201

Daily Website: www.AspenStudioBlog.com

Email: aspenphotostudio@yahoo.com

Phone: 701-330-9572

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2009 10:34 AM   in reply to Aspen Studio

Aspen Studio wrote:

So photoshop does have software out there for scanning.

Not really, the scanning itself is not done by Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2010 1:19 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

HI folks: I am but ANOTHER
    User of Photoshop CS4....Just installed it on my Mac Pro;

I have an EPSON GT20000 Scanner; IT USED TO WORK THROUGH PHOTOSHOP
    CS2...Now in CS4 it DOES NOT WORK!!!!   They removed the active "PLUG_IN you need;

I've tried..like 25 times- to OPEN the plug-in...from GOODIES disc..did Everything under the sun

it does not and WILL NOT WORK through Photoshop CS4. it is useless. I can't believe they

did=away with Scanning through Photoshop now; I used to go "FILE-IMPORT> Twain,

or GT20000   it was SO SO convenient.  I'v tried calling ADOBE 800PHone no# and I was on hold

for 1 hour 20 minutes and just gave up. NOTHING will work and I hate this so much;

Photoshop is DIRECTLY related to scanning and for them to messs this up is tragic.

Sorry-in NYC.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 4:10 PM   in reply to bushypenny12

Photoshop is not directly related to scanning.  Photoshop is related to images, and scanning is just one way of getting images into the computer.

Your scanner driver software is much more closely related to scanning.

You can scan using the software that came with your scanner by itself, or you can install the optional TWAIN plugin and hope that your scanner driver doesn't crash Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 5:37 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

... And that's all there is to say about THAT!

(In all seriousness, it really IS!)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 5:51 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

Oh yes..yes it is. Scanning is Directly /related to photoshop. don't listen to those w'eird thoughts in your heads..

if you are ANY sort of Artist, Designer, Technician...Photographer, Digital Imager..You would know Photoshop is related to Scanning .

I would know. I've spent 29 years in the Retouching/Digital Imaging/ Photography fields of work. Oh yes, Now, I ask you then;

I f you got a second-rate Scan of something; do you mean to tell me it doesn't matter what comes of it in PHOTOSHOP!?

OF COURSE IT DOES!  I want the best possible scan;; the best image possible for the best outcome for the Client.

Then none of you are professionals if you feel that way.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 6:04 PM   in reply to bushypenny12

>I want the best possible scan

Then spring for SilverFast, and learn how to use it. Methinks Chris really DOES know what he's talking about...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 6:12 PM   in reply to bushypenny12

BushPenny, I don't think you understand that all the Twain driver does is invoke Epson Scan (or any scanning software supplied by the manufacturer of a particular scanner)

If you open the standalone version of Epson Scan, and then invoke the software from within PS, you will see that it is virtually IDENTICAL software!

The only difference is that the standalone has more flexibility and stability. If YOU don't understand that, YOU are not a professional.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm belittling you, or anything, but that is the way it is...

(If I'm wrong, Chris, please correct me.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 6:54 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

See....and after all that; PHOTOSHP IS RELATED TO SCANNING IF YOU WORK IN THIS AREA: If you don't then you don't know what pleasing ///and winning the client is all about.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 8:04 PM   in reply to John_Levine_IOPHFI_INH

John - it's not quite that simple, but you're on the right track.

The real problem is that using TWAIN opens the scanner software inside Photoshop's process and memory space. That means that scanners invoked using TWAIN can cause Photoshop to crash (and I've got the crash logs showing just how often they do!).

Scanning outside Photoshop means that the bugs in the scanner driver can't cause Photoshop to crash.  That means a lot less lost work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 8:14 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

>The real problem is that using TWAIN opens the scanner software inside Photoshop's process and memory space.

I kinda did understand that Chris, I'm just wasn't able to explain it as concisely. I'm just an end-user, but I do understand the difference between opening the scanner SW within PS, vs. Standalone.

Again, I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but BushPenny just isn't grasping the difference, and there is a BIG one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 8:25 PM   in reply to bushypenny12

PHOTOSHP IS RELATED TO SCANNING...

NO! PS is about retouching, color-correcting, compositing, converting, etc...

How you get the image into your computer as a digital file is irrelevant to Photoshop...

Yeah, back in the day of SCSI scanners, it was a great convenience to scan into PS, do some preliminary adjustments, and save the file, to be worked on later...

You don't need to scan into PS to "Please/Win" the client. They couldn't care less about your workflow. You agree that the end result is what matters, right?

Using the TWAIN plugin to bring an image into PS, or scanning outside of PS, then bringing it in for final adjustment, makes no difference...

Except, as Chris points out, you're less apt to lose a lot of work if you do it OUTSIDE of PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 6:40 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

All these explanations are undoubtly valid, but beg the original question.  If you still have CS3 on your computer and want to try scanning from CS5, open each to the Plug-ins/Import-Export folder.  CS3 should have the file Twain32.8BA, or something similar. Copy that file from CS3 to CS5, open CS5 and voila, your scanning should be enabled.  Mine works so far.  I suppose if it does start to crash all I'd have to do is delete said file. I'm assuming the same procedure would work in CS4.  As with most computer advice, proceed at your own risk.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 7:37 PM   in reply to WDH77

WDH77 wrote:

…CS3 should have the file Twain32.8BA…

Not only are you replying to a six-month-old thread, but you seem not to realize this is the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum, WDH77.  There are no files with anything resembling that Windowish extension on the Mac.  

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2010 8:38 PM   in reply to Tai Lao

oops, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 8:21 AM   in reply to Aspen Studio

I couldn't agree more! If you have to make a lot of scans from your own designs, it is much easier to do that in the PS program, and I am so frustrated that it does not work on the CS5

Have you found a solution already?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

As explained several times already: the TWAIN plugin was made optional, because so many buggy scanner drivers were causing crashes and customers had a difficult time figuring out the cause of the crashes and solving them.

The capability is still there: you only need to install the optional TWAIN plugin.  But in doing that you risk making Photoshop less stable because of bugs in scanner driver software.

Again, it is much safer to scan outside of Photoshop, then open the images in Photoshop for editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 5:34 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hokay....jumping forward another 5 months, here am I, having actually grasped the point that what seems intrinsic to Photoshop from a workflow perspective is not part and parcel from a software position.

I too like Silverfast because of its serial scan options and its advanced descreening modes. I AM entirely willing to perform scanning externally to the PS (CS4) app, but on my MacPro running OS X 10.6.8, I still get the scanner not found error.

PS running or not running, restart or not, reinstall SF or not, Rosetta or not, cables checked/replaced, and all the while System Profiler sees the firewire interface and my Epson 1040XL at the end of it. Also, the Epson-created scan app (which I believe only works in PS, of course, simply crashes PS.) What do you gurus recommend in this case?

All of this occurred since moving to Intel architecture. This same scanner worked perfectly in PS and standalone mode with PowerMac hardware. As of now I cannot scan at all!

Thanks!  -- Ted Haigh

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi Chris,

The way i see it is, when i was in college i used Photoshop 6.if i did want a scan i would:-

Go to file down, to twain, did what you needed to do in the scan wndow, it would then close and open the picture in Photoshop,

you felt you were always in photoshop.

Now with the later versions from what i read ( ive only used Photoshop 6 so i dont know the rest), If you wanted a scan you would leave photoshop, open your scanner software, did your bits in that, save it to desktop or whatever, go back to Photoshop, go to file, open, find the picture then open it in photoshop. 

To me, It feels like your trying to get from the bottom of the country to the top by using side roads and not the motorways even if you do get from a to b.

I know what your trying to say.They did this to make it more stable. You dont want to be working on something and it crashes because you want to scan.

So i can see both sides to the debate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points