Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Missing burners

Mar 30, 2010 7:56 AM

Over the years there have been many many instances of Premiere Elements not detecting attached DVD / CD burners. I know this because it has now happened to me twice - so I've been researching. I found one instance of the problem being reported from the days of Elements 2 and many more from more recent releases.

It's easily (but irritatingly) fixable by one or both of:

1. Delete upper/lower filter values for the drives from the registry (Microsoft / Adobe solution)
  2. Uninstalling PRE, cleaning the registry, Reinstalling PRE (alternate Adobe solution).

The irritation is the time factor involved (1 needs a reboot, 2 takes time).

I don't need them visible for my workflow as I burn to folder and use DVD Shrink or ImgBurn to write the media (Windows recognises the burners). It could become a bigger issue if I start burning Blu-Ray. It's just plain annoying

My question is to ask if anyone has ever found the exact reason why it happens and if there is a more easily and reliable method to fix it.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2010 8:02 AM   in reply to nealeh

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/398769?tstart=0

Plus http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 9:04 AM   in reply to nealeh

Neale,

This ARTICLE will give you some background on some of the reasons that Adobe cannot find your burners.

The reason that these situations will "hide" the burners is that Adobe queries the OS, and not the hardware, and that Adobe programs want 100% control of the burners. Other burning apps., like ImgBurn, query at the hardware level, and will ignore what the OS is reporting.

When another program seizes control of the burner at bootup, well before one launches the Adobe program, the OS is informed that the burner is not what the hardware says it is. In the case of the various packet-writing modules, like InCD, or DLA, or even Windows Burning app., the OS is told that the burner is "really" a HDD. In the case of that Windows Burning app., another program, like Quicken, has invoked it, and told the OS that the burner is only a CD burner, and to treat it like a HDD, to allow for direct data writing for Backup to Disk.

Other things can also mess up with the burner, such as outdated firmware in the burner, but this is usually flagged with an error message, just as the physical burn commences, such as "Device Not Ready," or similar.

Now, things might be different, if the Adobe programs queried at the hardware level. So far, that has not been written into the programs. This is probably because every Adobe program, that allows burning, is based on the Sonic Authorcore modules, licensed from Sonic. The Adobe programs accesses those through an abstraction layer, as they do more than just burn - they also do authoring. ImgBurn does JUST burning, and no authoring. There is a difference.

Hope that this helps and explains some of the "why."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to nealeh

For Encore, tell it to create an ISO on the hard drive instead of going direct to the burner

For PreElements, tell it to create the DVD folder on the hard drive

Then, use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/ to do the actual writing

Use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden brand discs, and set Imgburn to the slowest possible burn speed to have the best chance of a good burn that will have the widest player compatibility

I use Encore to ISO to disc via Imgburn, and have never had a bad disc that would not play

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points