Skip navigation
elementsk8er506
Currently Being Moderated

Buttons work on computer player but not real dvd player hooked up to tv?

Mar 18, 2010 10:18 AM

Hi,

Sorry to sound hectic but I have a portfolio screening in 3 hours and I'm bugging out!

My dvd plays fine on my mac using dvd player app. The menu button highlights and I can choose different options.

I tested it out on two different real dvd players linked to a tv. On the tv I noticed theres no button highlights and I cant push up or down to choose different options. All I can do is press the play button and have it default to playing the first thing.

I don't know why this is happening! But I want to solve the problem as soon as possible.

I used a tutorial from Andrew from Video Copolilot. It was his Recon Man DVD Authoring tutorial.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/dvd_authoring/

He had an interesting way of creating buttons where he made them in photshop. I did this technique - could something with this issue be whats causing the problem? Or can it be something else?

Thankyou

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2010 10:45 AM   in reply to elementsk8er506

What Mac OS are you on?

There was a major issue with Button Highlights and an earlier OS. For a while, there was even a sticky warning message at the top of the forum's main page. I do not recall the exact problems, the OS's involved, or the solutions. A Search of this forum should yield posts on that issue. I do not know if it's the your particular problem, or not.

Good luck, and maybe someone will know the exact details of those posts,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 2:38 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Take a quick look at your Edit in PS thread. I outlined what happens with Edit in PS, and one glitch that has shown up for some, from time to time. I seem to have found a "cure," when it does show up, and only hope that that, or a glitch in your Edit in PS workflow.

Good luck, and hope you make your deadline,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

I'm not up on my Mac OS version numbers, but that sounds very recent. In those older threads, they were talking about an OS deemed "Tiger," IIRC. That was replaced by what, Leopard, and then Snow Leopard (which had some major issues with Adobe software too, but I forget what they were)?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 7:31 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

I'm having a similar issue with Encore CS4, on Snow Leopard (2008 MacBookPro). I've authored a DVD with a short first-run video. Then it goes to the Main Menu - and there are 4 submenus with 3 additional chapters each that I created using the create Chapter Index feature. It plays perfected on the DVD player in the OS, as well as in the preview.

When I hit a real DVD player and you get to the menu, any buttons you press on the remote show the symbol in the top left that shows you can't do anything. I've tested this in several different DVD players thanks to friends.

Am I missing something obvious? Does there need to be another slide in there before the menu?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 4:43 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Here's my understanding:

I basically want an underline button from Photoshop with an invisible clicking field.

The underline is a "highlight." 

The "button" is the whole + group.

The "blue rectangle" and the notion of a "invisible clicking field" is created by Encore as the active area.  The size of the active area is the smallest rectangle that includes all the elements in the button group.

when the mouse hovers over the active areas if has the effect as if you navigate to the button.  Clicking is the same as executing the selected button.

You don't need a state button.

Am I missing something?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Ah, yes.  There is, in fact, "nothing" in the button when the "clicking" layer is not visible.

It wll not be a "=1" which would make it a highlight.

I would normally do this with a vector graphic, but it would have color.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 6:49 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stanley,

You are correct. A Button Layer Set is defined by a rectangle that encompasses 100% of that Layer Set, including the Sub-picture Highlight. These are best seen, if one is in the Encore Menu Editing Panel, and a Button is selected. There will be a Bounding Box, and THAT is the total Button. If one moves, say the Sub-picture Highlight down, or up, that Bounding Box will increase in size to encompass that aspect of the Button.

Along those lines, these Bounding Boxes CANNOT overlap, even by one pixel.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 6:53 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506
    My menu background has letters pre-rendered into them. I am planning on just adding an underline and a clicking field over them.

The one issue with this is that your text is part of the background, and is NOT part of the Button. The only aspect of the Button will be the Sub-picture Highlight, which will be a very small area. Check out its Bounding Box in Encore's Menu Editing Panel. The way around this limitation would be to do a Shape, or Text Box, to encompass your background text, and then turn its Visibility OFF. Check this out in Encore's Menu Editing Panel, just to make sure.

One question: why do you want the text to be in the background and not part of the Button Layer Set. While easy to get around, I am just curious of your purpose.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

The squished text is a sign that the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of the Menu does not match the Project. I always start my Menus in PS with the New Image Preset that matches, so an NTSC Widescreen Project would be 720 x 480 with a PAR = 1.2. I use the Preset with Guides, to show me my Title Safe Area, to keep everything inside, for CRT TV's, which overscan.

Back in PS, what is the PAR of your .PSD's - Image>Pixel Aspect Ratio?

Just doing an Edit in PS from Encore, correcting that PAR and doing a Save should help. My guess is that your Menu is Square Pixels, 1:1.

As for the Buttons, I always do my duplication of Button Layer Sets in PS. This also lets me go in and easily rename my Layers and my Bottoms to match the names of my Assets. Note: in the Layers, and Layer Sets, one MUST adhere to he first characters naming convention, and ONLY change the name after the space. Only change the names AFTER the space. This renaming really, really comes in handy with multiple Scene Selection Menus. Trying to remember that "Button 2" on "Menu 4" links to "Corporate Retreat 2010." Also, I do not use spaces, or extended characters in my Timeline, or Asset names, even though OS's have allowed spaces for a decade, or more. The Sonic Authorcore, that is the base of Encore, can have issues with both spaces and extended characters, as well as very long file names and Paths.

Good luck, and let us know if the PAR corrects things,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to elementsk8er506

In Photoshop, go to Image>Pixel Aspect Ratio (it's down the list in the drop-down menu), and that will give you the answer. This feature was added with PS CS, IIRC. Do not think that PS 7 had it yet.

Good luck, and I hope that the PAR is the cause of the distortion. For Widescreen (16:9), it should appear as PAR = 1.2 in PS. Now, PrPro CS4.2 has made a minor change in PAR. Widescreen is now 1.212. Not sure if that has been changed to match in PS CS4.X, but will very likely be changed in PS CS5, when introduced. While mathematically correct, that slight difference should not be seen on-screen.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 10:05 AM   in reply to elementsk8er506

The 1.212 is the new, updated, and correct Pixel Aspect Ratio. Adobe had rounded it to 1.2 for Widescreen. Adobe slightly altered the Standard (4:3) PAR too. These little corrections came with CS4, so CS, CS2, CS3 will not recognize these new PAR's as being the standard. PS CS4 has been changed, IIRC.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 12:32 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Mike,

There are settings for how either/both the set-top player and the TV handle Widescreen. This can be a real issue, as the producer has little, to no, control over how a user might have their equipment set up.

My BD players have settings, and so do all of my TV's. It is now a real "jungle" out there. Life was pretty simple when everyone had 4:3 CRT TV's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 12:35 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506
    Can it be possible that my discs are fine and it just so happens those dvd players in particular won't play the 16:9? Or is this not normal?

With the exception of the 4:3 CRT TV, all the rest can handle 16:9, but its HOW they handle the signal, that will make a difference. Most have set up menus, that will allow you to dictate how the signals are displayed. Depending on those signals, one might need to change these settings. Also, many set-top players also have choices on how they handle and transmit the signals too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 3:19 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

It can be confusing to correctly setup and assess various dvd player/tv options.  Because you do not appear to understand (yet - you will soon!) how your test options are set, it is still possible that you have a par issue.  but your very squished playback does sound odd.  So look at each combination: TV 4:3, only the DVD setting matters, and it should be set for the TV to be 4:3.

Users will face the same sort of issue, unless they have their set setup correctly.  I label my widescreen DVDs with my website with an FAQ about this.  When I started doing this, I was convinced very few purchasers had widescreen TVs; now widescreen are more prevalent, so I'd probably reword it.

http://www.videoandcomputer.com/faq.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2010 1:33 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

When you say DVD settings, do you mean on the dvd player, or in Encore before burning?

Sorry; the DVD Player settings.

I am burning my dvd's at 16:9, so is this why it's scaling on a 4:3 tv?

While I think it is likely that there is a scaling problem, you need to know how each of your test setups is set, DVD player and TV.  A 16:9 DVD, played on a DVD player configured for a 4:3 TV, should show black at the top and bottom.

It appears that instead of just cutting out the extra width of the hd aspect ratio, it squeezes the whole picture into the 4:3, so it doesn't miss anything.

Yours looks like a player set to a widescreen TV with a zoom setting or similar.  But why guess?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2010 12:17 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

>I know my video files would be too large, but is there any way I could upload the Encore project files onto here?

Without the video files (and yes, they would be too large), I don't think the project helps.  Posting screen shots might help.  but the issue is the par of the video assets.  I would use Gspot for this, but not available for Mac.  (I have seen posts suggestion MediaInfo for Mac.)

>I wish it would resort to black on the top and bottom when I pop it in.

>Even for my one 4:3 tv that isn't scaled, there is still no black on the top and bottom.

I assume that it is cropping the left and right, therefore not scaling and not letterboxing.  Did you ever check the DVD player settings on that combination?  Without knowing the actual settings, we can't be sure you are set correctly.  Because this displays correctly on your computer, an dnot on TVs, I th ink you need to rule out the DVD player setting/TV combo.  I'd start with 4:3 TV you describe here.

A reply from edDV quoted, "To get it display widescreen from a DVD player, the MPeg2 needs the widescreen flag turned on during authoring."

I don't believe the poster there created his asset correctly.  A correct asset (i.e. 16:9) brought into encore will be handled correctly.

Even thought when I brought my .m2v's back into AE and it read 1.20, I still figured I would look into them. So I right clicked on my .m2v in Encore and went to interpret footage. To my suprise - it was set to 1.0! So I changed all the .m2v's to interpret 1.20. I did a burn and - still didn't work

I don't know if this changed, but in CS3, the interpret footage has two options: use the asset's par or "conform to."  Which one said 1.0?  What did it say if the "use the asset's par" is selected?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2010 4:28 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

I am currently trying my project on Encore CS4 now, because I thought upping to CS4 would solve my issues. In Encore CS4 I right clicked on my .m2v and go to interpret footage. It first defaults to: "Use the Asset's Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)"

But can the whole "Use the Asset's Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)" be an issue? Does Encore think the .m2v is 1.0?

I don't know, but I wonder if a) it is 1.0 or b) CS4 sees the 1.2 and treats it as "not 1.212 and therefore 1.0" or at least not widescreen.  but shouldn't the conform work?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2010 9:04 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Open the asset in Premiere what does it say there?

I know you think you exported widescreen from AE, but I have to wonder....

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points