Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore CS4 Crashes all the time

Mar 30, 2010 7:57 AM

I installed Adobe Production suite cs4 on my 8g

Dell Precision 690 system running Windows 7 Professional.

I love all of the other Adobe software and it runs rock solid.

Encore, however, usually crashes when I drag a video file

to the timeline.   (I noticed, also, that the video files appear

to have what looks like a corrupted looking icon with half

of the image taken up by a pixely looking green mosaic on

the timeline.)

I have updated my version of encore and I have checked

quite a few of the crash threads.    I never really had

any 3rd party dvd burner software, so there was nothing

except the Windows 7 native programs capable of writing

to the dmv.

I is it appropriate to attach the crash data?

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2010 11:13 AM   in reply to foxetown

You don't say if you have installed the "sonic" or "roxio fix."  This has helped many with a similar problem.  sorry, don't have the link; search here or someone will come along and add it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to foxetown

Since Sonic/Roxio is part of Encore... yes, you DO have part of Sonic/Roxio on your computer and you need to install the update

Encore Roxio component problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/400484?tstart=0
    More on Encore and Roxio http://forums.adobe.com/thread/528582?tstart=0 or direct to
    http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/ 000070GN&PARAMS
    Long File Names Cause Crashing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273
    Encore Tutorial http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/05/encore-tutorial/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 1:01 PM   in reply to foxetown

Yes, those are the known issues that we are referring to, thought primarily to his number 3.  Some users who were helped by installing the fix did not seem to be using bluray.  My understanding is that if you have not installed the patch, you should.

DAV links to a file.  Here is the sonic page:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/ 000070GN&PARAMS

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 4:00 PM   in reply to foxetown

Too bad re the fix not fixing your problem.

This thread is fine to pursue other issues.

m2v is the primary video only already transcoded asset.  There is no reason that format should create a problem.

I would check first by bringing a short avi in.  Also, just for troubleshooting, do not drag to the timeline, try Import as Timeline.  (It should import and also create a timeline.)  If that fails, do an import as asset.

Whether any of that works or not, I'd check your m2v in Gspot.  What does it say?  Did you adjust any settings when you created this?

I forget your original post: have you done other projects successfully?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 4:15 PM   in reply to foxetown

Often, when a program crashes or hangs, a breadcrumb trail is left behind. This ARTICLE will give you tips on tracking down clues in those breadcrumbs. One might have to do some digging, but Event Viewer will usually have something useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 6:21 PM   in reply to foxetown

Are you putting more than one m2v on a timeline?  If not that, what do mean about creating only one m2v?

Gspot is a small, free program that tells you about the format, codec, etc of video clips.

Gspot available here

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to foxetown

Even with program hangs (about as mild a situation as we can have like this), there should still be some error or warning messages - at least we're both hoping that there are some. Even system/application event produces a message. When things start going south, the warning messages start, and often a full-blown error message will show up. Many of these might have links. Follow each link and any links within those pages. You'll probably see a bunch of cryptic code, but it the real text messages, and links that we're looking for.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 5:12 PM   in reply to foxetown

Based on your problems, something is wrong with your setup.  I continue to be confused as to what you are doing with various assets and what works.

There are some assets that create problems when you put more than one on a timeline.  I didn't realize what you were doing; now I understand why you kept dragging assets to the timeline when I was trying to get you to create a timeline for each asset.

A primary alternative is to create one timeline for each asset (m2v or h264); then use a playlist to create the movie.

I don't do bluray yet; is there a bug with bluray playlists?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to foxetown

The Playlist is a very powerful tool.

I agree that using multiple Timelines solves many issues with ganged Assets in a single Timeline.

I cannot recall the last time that I ganged any Assets, but must have done it at some time in the past.

Good luck, and please report your success,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 10:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I went through nearly the identical work to discover pretty much all the same non-solutions in the past 24 hours trying to create a very high res dvd of a photography slideshow. I want Blu-ray definition.  But I can't make it work. Dude, Foxetown. Did you ever find a combination with blu-ray that worked?  I've had the same experience with m2v and furthermore, my workaround solution (Roxio Creator) won't read m2v files as assets and reduces all other types of assets to a non-negotiable video resolution during transcoding which just doesn't have the zing I'm going for.

I'm not sure if a slideshow generated in Premiere using the animate as sequence function to place a hundred or so still images onto the timeline with uniform transitions qualifies as "ganged assets".  I added motion, tediously (would it be too much to ask for a motion preset that can be applied during the animate to sequence batch process???), and exported at the highest possible quality level MPEG2-BluRay with 1080p which is apparently (by trial and error) the best setting for the video resolution integrity.  After the first half dozen freeze-ups and even system crashes in Encore I realized this might not be a one-hour task. A solid 34 hours later (including two hours of sleep) and I'm seriously questioning the acuity of Adobe software development strategists.  I don't remember having this many problems in pre-Encore Premiere but then again there was no Blu-Ray in those days. I just wish I could make it do what it says it's going to do.  I want this product. It'll make money for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2010 7:12 PM   in reply to konastephen

I am also having stability issues with CS4 Encore.  I have applied the Roxio PX engine fix as suggested in the FAQ's along with deleting the AppData subdirectory, rebooting etc. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629151?tstart=0

My issue occurs when I am trying to burn the movie. All the timelines and associated sound tracks go through the transcoding phase, then further work is being done on the audio files and the application crashes at this point every time - I can upload a screen shot just before the crash if this would be of use.  The painful thing is it takes an hour or so to get to this point so testing potential fixes is very time consuming.   I am burning to an image file as opposed to a disk so I don't chew through dual layer disks until I am happy all is what I want.  I don't expect this to make a difference, but I am open to feedback.

I am relatively new to the Adobe suite so any pointers on how to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.  I have sent off the crash forms to Adobe when they appear on the screen explaining what I have been doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2010 7:20 PM   in reply to __Sando

I suggest you post this as a separate thread.  Crashes can happen for a lot of reasons, and the point at which Encore crashes for you is different from most (all?) the other examples here.

It would help if you report the type of assets you are using, particularly whether muxed or not and what audio you are bringing in.

When you say the build goes through the timelines, are you not transcoding the timeline assets before the build?  (This can save a lot of time for the actual build.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2010 2:08 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

A separate thread might be a good idea too but Sando has basically summed up exactly where I've gotten as well since my last post. I have given up trying to solve it. My deadlines don't allow me the luxury of spending whole days trying a small handful of different fixes. I went with Roxio Creator to produce my latest product although I'm very disappointed in the quality. I was hoping for something a lot more impressive.

Does anyone know how well Encore works in CS5? I'm hoping that if I can scrape the funds together to upgrade sometime in the next couple of quarters my problems with transcoding in Encore will go away...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points