Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I convert pdf to text?

Apr 02, 2010 Apr 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Reader 9.3.1 on a MacBook Pro  10.6.2 and I can't get Adobe Reader to save pdf files as text. When I choose that option, it creates a text file with the same name, but the file is blank. I need a fast, reliable way to convert pdf info to text. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe is indicative of a PDF that contains the scanned image of text.

As an image, there'd be no text to save out to a text file.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. Great. What a mess. Thank you for trying to help. This stuff is so basic to business these days wish someone would come up with an ordinary, simple, reliable conversion program. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite a few of those out there.

For starters, there's Adobe Acrobat. Then there's Abbyy FineReader...

This stuff is so basic to business these days wish someone would come up with an ordinary, simple, reliable conversion program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat, for certain, will easily, reliably convert pdfs to text? No hassles? Just do it? If that's true, I'll buy it right now. But the other poster said the pdf that's giving me all the problems is an image of text. Adobe Acrobat can convert that to text? I need to get work done, not play with computers. This is something that really works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It has a feature called Optical Character Recognition (OCR) that will convert images of text to text.

But if you want my opinion, Abbyy FineReader probably does a better job since it is dedicated to that purpose only where Acrobat isn't. It's cheaper too so unless you want all the other features of Acrobat, it may be a better deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing. Don't expect hassle free conversions. Ther is no such thing but the right tool will make a big difference towards making life easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I'll check it out. And if you ever find one that simply does what it's supposed to do, no hassles, please let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that will ever happen.

If you control the workflow from start (scanning) to finish then there's a chance that you can have a somewhat pain-free system.

But since the original scan is in my opinion, the important part and may not be controllable on your end, there's not much to be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is possible.

Firstly, I don't suggest using Adobe reader or Arcobat to copy and paste from PDF to Word. It is tedious work with low efficiency.

Try to use PDF to Text Converter, by which you can directly convert PDF to text. All the text will be preserved in an editable document.

Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe ExportPDF online service also allows you to convert a scanned PDF to text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2013 Nov 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i finally found a decent one after quite a long search: http://pdftoword.pro/ ,

but now im searching for one that will detect key words and then convert only certain parts

any hints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This four-year old topic is just attracting spam; it is now closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines