Skip navigation
asaikali
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Builder 4 Super Slow

Jun 18, 2009 8:55 AM

I am playing around with Flash Builder 4 Beta and when editing mxml in source view after a couple of keystrokes the application pauses and becomes unresponsive for 5 to 10 seconds, then comes back, then becomes unresponsive ... etc. At first I thought that it was the JVM Garbage Collector but I am not so sure about that becase it happens every a couple of keystrokes. Any one else has this problem?

P.S. I am runing on Vista 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM and Core 2 Duo T9400 so the machine is very fast.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2009 2:31 PM   in reply to asaikali

How big is your MXML file? What kind of machine are you running on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 4:20 PM   in reply to asaikali

If you open a bug and can post your project, that would help us try to reproduce it.

For the error log you can go to Help/Product Details/Configuration Details/View Error Log, or it's in your workspace directory in .metadata/.log.

--Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2009 8:42 PM   in reply to asaikali

Yeah for sure. That the way people were playing with Flex 4 SDK, just

download the SDK or use the one that is installed with Flash Builder 4 Beta

1, and add it to the Installed SDKs list.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2009 12:10 AM   in reply to asaikali

For me Flash Builder is also a lot slower than Flex 3. I´m developing the same project I used Flex 3 for. FB4 gets stuck once in a while. Most annoying thing is the autofill that often takes 0,5 seconds to give me options for things like "MovieC (ctrl-space)"

If this is the responsiveness of final version I´ll really have to re-evaluate FDT, though I´ve liked Flex3

EDIT: in fact the problem is that autofill often does not start instantly, I have to push ctrl-space 2 times. Could it be that Flex 4 is not "ready for autofill" in situations where Flex 3 already is?

EDIT2: the same happens when I write a method like "private function onStuffHappened(event:Event):void", then push enter. Sometimes the enter is ignored. So annoying! I´m working on Compaq 6710b laptop, should be good enough for this stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2009 10:20 PM   in reply to asaikali

I've experienced the same behavior, and this is the workaround I've found. I don't know if it will work for you because it's pretty strange. I went to the Help menu and I've clicked on Search. The help search panel will open on the right, and you'll be able to see at the bottom how it's indexing the help. If you click on the little icon right next to the indexing progress bar it will open the progress panel. Then you stop the indexing progress and close that panel, and the help search panel as well. After that, the mxml editing works just fine. No more 'freezes' or slow downs. I have to do that every time I create a new project though. Pretty annoying, and kind of weird.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2009 6:39 AM   in reply to asaikali

I too have this slow down while the Help is on. I think it keeps on re-indexing. So I closed the help window. (My machine specs are on an ACER Aspire 6930 Vista 64 bit laptop with 4 GB of RAM and a GeForce 9600M graphics card. I am using Eclipse Ganymede [3.4.1].)

David

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 11:56 AM   in reply to asaikali

Same experience here on a fast Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz with 4Gb RAM.

This is kind of ridiculous. An MXML with just a few buttons is a complete pain to edit. Typing a *single* character results in a 0.5 / 1 second freeze. It's unbelievable. Was this ever tested by Adobe? Why releasing -- let alone selling -- a tool like this if it can't even perform the most basic functions every programmer will need?

I'd love to hear anything we can do to improve text editing performance. I've disabled a bunch of niceties in the prefs but it seems like it just keeps getting slower and slower.

Adobe: please advise, this is really a major problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2010 9:31 AM   in reply to cubelogic

cubelogic wrote:

Same experience here on a fast Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz with 4Gb RAM.

This is kind of ridiculous. An MXML with just a few buttons is a complete pain to edit. Typing a *single* character results in a 0.5 / 1 second freeze. It's unbelievable. Was this ever tested by Adobe? Why releasing -- let alone selling -- a tool like this if it can't even perform the most basic functions every programmer will need?

I'm on a Macbook Pro 2.5ghz with 4GB of RAM (Snow Leopard) and I don't have any slowdowns/pauses/freezes in FB4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to jsd99

His issue was addressed on a separate thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2717334#2717334.

Jason San Jose

Software Engineer, Flash Builder

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2011 6:43 AM   in reply to asaikali

My Flash Builder 4.5 became super-slow, always rebuilding workspace.

The issue stopped after I removed the project folder from Jungle-Disk synch folder ( a cloud online back up program )

Hope this helps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points