Skip navigation
moirty
Currently Being Moderated

PSE8 and Windows 7 Bugs Confirmed by Adobe

Dec 29, 2009 8:58 PM

After spending over an hour with tech support, the second level technician confirmed that there are currently some incompatibilities with PSE 8 when interacting with other programs inside of Windows 7. Specifically, I have identified (and Adobe confirmed) that neither the Photo Mail nor the Ceiva functions will work correctly. Others (such as mail attachment) do work. All apparently work with Vista and other OSs.

I was told that there are certain bridging files that existed in Windows Vista (and XP) that no longer exist in Windows 7. Adobe is aware of the problem and working on a patch. It's not clear to me why they didn't post this information (and any other known bugs) in the Knowledgebase...but I hope this saves others some time with tech support.

Adobe did not give me any commitment for when the fix will be available.

-bs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 29, 2009 9:48 PM   in reply to moirty

What exactly was your problem or error? I'm using PSE 8 with 64-bit Windows 7 and have use Photo Mail in conjunction with Outlook without a problem. I just tried again, and everything worked fine.

I have not tried Adobe Email Service with Win 7 yet. Is that where the problem occurs?

Don S.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 7:20 AM   in reply to Don26812

PSE8 crashes every single time that I attempt to do a Photo E-mail (from the sharing window). The crash occurs in the step following selection of the addressees (where you would normally select the kind of frame, pictures per page, etc). The problem was reproduced using a fresh install, using a fresh catalog (with only a handful of pictures) and using a new user account with nothing else running on the computer (msconfig cleaned out). Adobe tech support was online (screen sharing) during the troubleshooting. The first level technician was unaware of the bug...but as soon as he escalated it to the next level, he was told to simply stop troubleshooting because it was a known issue with a known resolution that would presumably be fixed.

As for Ceiva, PSE8 simply will never fully connect with the system...thus preventing the ability to send to the Ceiva system. Again, tech support confirmed the bug (this time more quickly fortunately).

-Bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 8:30 AM   in reply to brucesohn

Bruce,

Have you tried running PSE 8 as an administrator? In an earlier version, I had trouble emailing from within PSE and running it as an administrator (right clicking on the program link) bypassed the problem. Whatever is is causing your problem apparently does not affect all Win 7 installations, since I am not seeing the same problem - thank goodness.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 10:50 AM   in reply to Don26812

Very interesting. I DID get photo mail to work when I did the right-click administrator procedure. It did NOT work when I

created a new adminstrator level user though. I'm not sure what the difference is in how Windows 7 handles these.

This did NOT, however, solve the CEIVA problem.

Thanks for the idea. At least I'm more functional now.

-Bruce

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 11:24 AM   in reply to brucesohn

On Vista and Windows 7, running a program by right-clicking and selecting Run As Administrator is different than running in an account that is a member of the Administrators group.   A program doesn't actually acquire administrator priviliges until it explicitly asks to run as administrator (prompting you) or until you invoke Run As Administrator.

The installation of PSE is buggy and doesn't always check to make sure that it has the proper access priviliges to all the folders it needs. PSE itself is buggy in that it doesn't properly report many error conditions (such as not being able to write a folder).  So running it as administrator gives it those priviliges.

Adobe tech support isn't very competent and often gives out wrong information. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2010 5:54 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

PSE 8 was sending photo mail OK through Adobe email.  Two days ago, a popup asked if I wanted to upgrade something in photoshop.com.  Ever since my photo mail feature just hangs up at the point where I used to get an email screen.  How can I fix this?  I am running Vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2010 7:04 AM   in reply to gdenberry

Did you try running PSE 8 as an Administrator by right-clicking on its icon? That might help. I don't think the pop-up re. Photoshop.com is related to your problem. FWIW I had some trouble myself yesterday. I have not sorted it out yet, but did get it to work again. Maybe there was a problem at Adobe causing the problem?

Don S.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to Don26812

I tried running PSE 8 as administrator.  Still does not work.  Photomail

hangs up at point where email form should appear.  All worked fine until two

days ago when the Photoshop.com popup appeared.  After that, contacts files

were erased and photomail or attachments ceased to work.  I have checked all

settings and find nothing wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2010 8:20 PM   in reply to Don26812

I stumbled on a ridiculously simple fix...in the photomail process, when the

"new message" box appears at the bottom of the screen, right click on it and

hit "maximize."   This apparently activates the email window and everything

works well after that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 7:34 AM   in reply to moirty

That's great! There is nothing more frustrating than

for something that was working fine for some time to al

l of a sudden cease to work.

Glad you found a way around your problem.

Don S.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2010 9:38 AM   in reply to Don26812

I cannot get PSE8 to connect to Ceiva either.  I completely reinstalled windows and installed PSE8 as the first thing to insure no other conflicts and it still won't show me Ceiva frames that are on my account.  I called Adobe help and was told that Adobe doesn't support Ceiva and that maybe my trial period is over.  But they are full of sh*t because it says that it supports Ceiva frames right on the box and it is not a trial service.  When I talked to Ceiva they said to talk to Adobe as it is their product that is not working.  Anybody know of a fix yet?  I'm using Vista.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to ceivauser

Dear ceivauser-

When was the last time you tried to send to your CEIVA frames?  Please try again.  If you still have issues you can post in the CEIVA forums at forums.ceiva.com.  We'll figure this out!

ceivajoe

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 9:12 PM   in reply to ceivajoe

Tried it again today.  The dialogue to sign in pops up, I can sign in, but the frame is not listed in the frame section.  No frames are lsited.  But if I go to the website and log in there, the frame shows up.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 10:42 AM   in reply to ceivauser

Dear ceivauser-

Please post here http://forums.ceiva.com/forums/show/23.page and we'll get it figured it out.  Make sure to include your username so that it can be investigated.

ceivajoe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)