Skip navigation
txbonfire
Currently Being Moderated

Desktop Specs - buying new PC to be used with Prem Pro

Apr 12, 2010 1:59 PM

I will be purchasing a new desktop to replace my HP Pavilion (5 years old).  I will most likely order through HP again.  I am requesting advice concerning the processor, video card, memory, etc... (any configurable component that I will be able to choose).

My current job scope is the production of photo and video montages in SD using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0.  I will most likely be upgrading to the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro and may also produce in HD and will want a desktop that will work well with this configuration.

Thank you so much in advance,

Angela

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2010 2:05 PM   in reply to txbonfire

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2010 3:03 PM   in reply to txbonfire

You probably need to upgrade to CS4/CS5, but maybe you can run the very old software on Win7 although you may need to use the Win XP compatibility mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 10:30 AM   in reply to txbonfire

I can tell you it works on Pro. I don't know about the other versions, because Ultimate is too bloated for me and the Home edition does not support enough memory and lacks some network capability that I need. Microsoft will have a detailed page outlining the differences between the different versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 11:14 AM   in reply to txbonfire

With these choices, I would opt fot for the HD 4850.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 1:27 PM   in reply to txbonfire

Angela,

You are correct. Look here for a better explanation: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2397179#2397179

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 2:49 PM   in reply to txbonfire

Angela,

This is a perfect example of why it is better to choose the standard configuration from companies like Dell and HP and not enhance it with optional components.

Example: the HD5450 here is around € 50, the HD4850 is around € 110, both including 19% VAT. So the price difference is € 60. Deduct the VAT and the price difference is only € 50, yet they charge you around € 110 or $ 140, more than twice the regular price. They steal you blind.

Advise: Stick to the HD5450.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 4:10 PM   in reply to txbonfire

Angela,

I haven't looked up the specific chassic from HP (mid-tower, full tower or whatever) but usually one can fit in much more disks inside the chassis.

I have a full tower chassis, that has 12 5.25" slots in the front. Currently I have 2 BR burners, leaving 10 5.25" slots with 14 3.5" disks in front (plus 3 disks in the back) and am still able to add 3 more disks for a total of 20 in my system.

If your HP chassis has 3 5.25"slots available, you can easily fit in 5 3.5" disks using a SuperMicro disk cage that I mentioned somewhere in one of those threads and they will be swappable as well.

It may require some DIY work, but get some additional disks from Newegg or similar for much better prices than HP, and install them yourself. Then you can add whatever capacity you want and all internally. Much easier than externals, specially since they can be easily swapped if you go for the SuperMicro disk cage.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2010 9:18 PM   in reply to txbonfire

Best thing to do would be to custom build one so that you know that it works with cs5. Don't get ATI. Adobe doesn't support them. You need a Nvidia card so that you can use the mercury playback engine. That is if you are getting CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2010 11:29 PM   in reply to txbonfire

Angela,

1. If I do go with the 1TB RAID 0, will I have to disable the RAID 0 to have these two hard drives work independently?  Is this a complicated process to disable the RAID 0?

2. Should I go with a different hard drive option, give the choices I have?

1. Yes, you can configure that in the Bios and it is not difficult, but even easier is to tell the supplier explicitly you want the disks as separate disks, not in a raid.

2. I would choose to have a physical Windows disk to allow installation on a smallish Velociraptor that you get from Newegg or similar. 150 G is enough. Then install Win7-64 on that Velocipator from the physical disk, and check what you want to keep from the software that was installed on the old boot disk. After you are done with that, and everything works as it should, you can remove everything from the old boot disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 8:19 AM   in reply to txbonfire

That ATI will do just fine for regular work... but it will NOT work with the CS5 Mercury engine

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 10:54 AM   in reply to txbonfire

You do not NEED an nVidia card to run CS5... but you DO need a SPECIFIED nVidia card to use MPE

Read http://forums.adobe.com/message/2742323

I am going to buy a GTX 285 when I build a 64bit computer to run CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

Just to be clear about it, all  video cards that meet minimum requirements support the Mercury Playback Engine in software mode, ATI or nVidia. However, only certified cards run the MPE in hardware mode.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points