Skip navigation
Allegra Nashville
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign booklet printing to PDF all the copy is low resolution. What am I doing wrong?

Apr 16, 2010 4:07 PM

I have single sheet size files (3.75 X 8.5) that I have to booklet make into PDF's so I can then put them into another InDesign file for a specific printer that we use to print policy manuals. I go to print them using the booklet feature but they seem to come out low resolution. I have tried printing them from Acrobat 8 and 9 but they still come out low resolution. HELP!!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2010 4:16 PM   in reply to Allegra Nashville

Allegra Nashville wrote:

I have single sheet size files (3.75 X 8.5) that I have to booklet make into PDF's so I can then put them into another InDesign file for a specific printer that we use to print policy manuals.

I'll admit I probably don't really understand what you're doing here, but this workflow isn't making a lot of sense. Are you imposing twice? What do you give to this printer? And for that matter, why can't he do his own imposing? That's his job, after all.

As far as the image quality, that is almost certainly a result of failure to set up the PDF printer from Print Booklet and consequntly using the default "standard" settings which just won't cut it. You need to get all the way through the various setupdialogs to the PDF printing Preferences and choose a preset (or make one) that uses appropriate compression and quality settings for press.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2010 6:03 AM   in reply to Allegra Nashville

to get this straight, an indesign file with the layout from pages 1-? is made into a PDF and then placed into a new indesign file which acts as the imposition template and then pdf'd again... and that pdf is printed through acrobat using the print menu... is this correct?

there are a few questions which i have.

1) in every step, how are the pdfs being made? rather than using "press quality" pdfs from the export, try using "pdf x/3".

2) i work for a sheet-fed offset printer which also uses a perfector press. we would normally let our RIP handle the impositions... is there a specific reason that an indesign file is being used as an imposition program in this instance?

3) in my work, we would also make PDFs only and let the RIP process the file. unless i am printing to a laser printer, there is no reason for me to go file, print if i am making final art for output. with the imposed file which is being created, is the imposed file being output to plate via a RIP or is it being sent to something like a colour copier directly or to the RIP of a colour copier (like EFI Fiery)?

there could be several areas where the image quality is being lost but i need to understand more about the output of the  artwork - whether it is being sent to a platesetter RIP to make plates; or to a colour copier. initally though, try changing the adobe pdf export preset which is used to pdf x/3 and let us know how things go.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2010 6:50 AM   in reply to Allegra Nashville

I'm with Flash on this -- I find it odd that you would have a perfecting press but no professional level dedicated imposition software. What yo are doing sounds frightfully complicated and error prone. For a relatively inexpensive imposing solution you might want to look at Quite Software's Quite Imposing, which is an Acrobat plugin.

In the meantime, what paltform are you using? I can tell you how to get to the PDF prefs in Windows, but I'm a little shaky on the names of the buttons in the Mac dialogs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to Allegra Nashville

Direct file attachments are disabled. You'll need to post a link to an external server.

Frankly, I can't imagine doing what you are doing using Print Booklet. Quite Imposing is around $500 - $600 if I remember correctly and would probably pay for itself in saved time in only a few jobs. There may be a trial.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 5:26 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I had the same problem.

I then export the book to pdf and then adobe reader to print to pdf in booklet form and then from that print. to paper

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 5:56 AM   in reply to Allegra Nashville

It is really strange what you are doing. Even if I am thinking that imposing should be done with other means I have still some suggestions:

1. WHy making a pdf from an InDesign file to place in another InDesign file? You can place an INDD in another INDD without the PDF.

2. If you prepaire a PDF to place in an INDD never reduce transparency before placing! So I would recommend always to use a PDF with Live Transparency, e.g. X4. The input is a different thing than the output. But incommings PDF to InDesign should alway have LiveTransparency. Don't reducy it to early.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points