Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InContext Editing – Change of Service

Apr 12, 2010 2:04 AM

Effective May 5, 2010, changes will be made to the preview of Adobe InContext Editing. Further development in its current state will cease, and the following limitations will be implemented:

• New sites cannot be registered with the service.
  • New user registrations will no longer be accepted.

If you are registered as an Administrator, you will still be able to define editable regions, configure site settings, and edit users with sites that have been registered with InContext Editing prior to May 5, 2010. If you are registered as an Editor or Publisher, you will still be able to make and publish edits to previously registered sites. For additional details, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

InContext Editing will be discontinued as a standalone service in 2011. It is expected to become a part of Adobe Business Catalyst®, a hosted application for building and managing online businesses that can also import your existing website. Adobe will host a special online seminar in April to help you learn more about the transition from InContext Editing to Business Catalyst.

Find out more about Business Catalyst and sign up for the seminar.

Thank you for being a part of the preview for InContext Editing. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. We believe the integration with Business Catalyst will be beneficial to both you and your clients, combining easy website editing and content maintenance with a robust online business platform.

Cristinel

--------------------------------
Cristinel Anastasoaie
Product Manager
Adobe Systems

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

It will not be a benifit for me or my clients. Thanks but no thanks. I upgraded from CS3 to CS4

bacause of the incontext editing. I have my own hosting company, so this would cost me a small fortune and would cost my clients more for less services. This will be the last Adobe product I ever buy.

Best of luck

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 11:51 PM   in reply to jtlindrooth

I've had a good look at Business Catalyst and am less than impressed. It is very expensive, offers me functionalities that are way beyond what I or my clients need and has been widely criticised in forums for its poor level of support and inflexibility.

I have no intention of entrusting my sites' hosting with  CMS which may be withdrawn as abruptly as ICE is. I have built a whole product range around this and now it is being withdrawn and an expensive and inferior solution offered.

My opinion of Adobe is unlikely to sink any lower.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 6:40 AM   in reply to maggie ourpets

I don't know how to interpret the (administrator?) price chart for Business Catalyst. There are three categories -- Free, $995, and $1995 -- but the comparison chart isn't a list of familiar Web design-related features, just a few non-technical items like training videos and a lot of incomprehensible marketing blather about trials, "partner resources," and commissions. Obviously this chart is not meant to be used in any useful way to compare Business Catalyst with InContext Editing. I assume all the features of InContext are carried into Business Catalyst, but I don't know if I can join at the "Free" level or if I must shell out $995.

Seems moot anyway, since the separate client price chart reveals that pricing starts at $39 per month -- more than my client can pay.

But then I clicked the link to the transition seminar sign-up page and found this:

With our flexibles plan starting at just $16 per month (or a discounted $173 annually), your clients can start off basic then grow into a full solution down the track.

Not sure how to interpret this statement either--are these teaser fees or a special rate for InContext users?

I've signed up for the seminar, but I wish the information provided online (vis a vis InContext transition) were more comprehensible. Cristinel, can you please provide a "bottom line" summary of the minimum cost for the transition for a single InContext admin/client to BC?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 6:40 AM   in reply to antlion

Interesting that they went with thsi monthly model..

I had actually started a service last year.. for clients that couldn't pay the $1299 flat rate for a custom designed site w/CMS.

Basically, I lease them a site on a monthly subscription fee basis. They pay, usually via PayPal Subscription, every 16th of the month. Its not a lot of money up front, but its consistent.

For the monthly fee, they get one of my customized templates that I created, CMS, Domain name (1yr), Hosted by me... I'm actually a little more strict than Adobe; as long as it is on my server, I own the site itself & sometimes the domain name too.They have the option of opting out of the service at any time, they can pay a flat rate to take over & transfer the domain/site.

I guess point being Adobe sees that they can dig in on this action too... hmmph

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Cristinel,

I understand that the BC partner and client price lists are separate, but several questions remain:

1. If I become a BC partner at the "Free" level, will I be able to do everything I did in InContext (define editable regions, administer the site, assign publishers/editors, etc.)? Is there a chart that explains the Web design technical abilities of the BC framework (at the "Free" level)?
    2. Is there a limit to the number of clients I can add while I am a "Free" BC partner?
    3. The use of the word "trial" in the partner pricing chart is confusing. What exactly is being "trialed"? Does a trial end?
    4. What are the features of the "basic web starter package" ($16/mo) and are they documented online?
    5. Will an InContext client be able to do everything he is used to doing in InContext with a BC "basic web starter package"
    6. Is the $16/mo cost an introductory ("teaser") rate will be phased out after a given time? Or is it a stable rate for the life of the account?

I imagine some of these questions might be answered in tomorrow's seminar, but I know from experience that it's almost impossible to ask/answer all one's questions during such webinars. Online documentation is essential for such a transition.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 9:44 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Cristenel...

I think the big issue is now here is yet another new service that you're offereing. And it is going to cost us more money. Based on your track record, it might not be in our best interests to follow you on this one.

1. We bought the last service (CS4) with the idea that it included  more or less this service.
    2. It NEVER worked properly, still doesn't.
    3. You yanked that service out from under us
    4. You're asking us to spend more money on a service that is also not released, aka beta
    5. We will be forced into a position where we completely depend on you for this service in order to operate our business
      1. Your Adobe servers are notoriously slow
      2. Servers are unstable with NO guarantee of uptime
      3. The business model makes us more or less Adobe employees who sell Adobe services
      4. My pay rate for being an Adobe employee is locked in at 20% of sales
      5. I have to pay to be an Adobe Employee
      6. I don't get the title of being an Adobe employee
    6. Your track record shows that you reserve the right to pull our service at any time deemed necessary to better benefit your company.
    7. You reserve the right to notify our customers that you control our business and can end their services at any time... AND HAVE!!!
    8. You do not consult with your employees (us) before making decisions that could potentially destroy our current business model
    9. We have already bought the service
    10. We have already bought the service
    11. We have already bought the service
    12. We have already bought the service
    13. YOU TOOK AWAY THAT SERVICE AND I DIDN'T GET MY REFUND!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 11:29 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Adobe, are you sure eliminating inContext is the right move? I've read a lot of feedback and it seems to be making a lot of your customers unhappy. Including myself. Sure, BC sounds like a great service, but many of us have come to rely on inContext as a simple, free method that allows our clients to make simple changes to their website. Is $32 a month more important than having satisfied customers?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 9:39 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Adding my opinion to those above that removing support for InContext Editing is a bad idea.  Using the InContext service has worked well for me, but I am sure that the clients that I have worked with are not interested in a monthly fee... which leaves me in the position of trying to find an alternative that they won't be charged for.   

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 3:57 PM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Adobe, you have got to be kidding!!! WTF, The only reason I purchased the FULL version of Dreamweaver CS4 was for InContext Editing, fully aware that in the future there would be a monthly or yearly fee to continue to use the service for my clients. After spending $418 now you are telling me I can no longer use the service and you expect me to trust you into yet another risky and unproven venture. WELL HELL NO!!! You have lost yet another client thanks to your greedy attitude. I will defenitely NOT support you in this Adobe Business Crap. I think you forget that individual like myself are not made of money; we cannot just throw away our money every time you say jump! And I am pretty sure that my clients who already using InContext are not going to be happy about this new move.

Now I have to explain to my clinet why they will no longer be able to use the service and let them know what a bunch of douchebags you guys are.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 4:11 PM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

You simply don't offer a product, let people begin to rely on it, then  pull it out from under their feet. It seems that in the last few years Adobe has lost their customer perspective. Maybe it's because they don't have much competition and believe their customers are customers by default and that they don't have to earn their approval. They make outstanding products, but they desperately need to fix their understanding of their customer. We had a required reading at my place of business "Raving Fans" it only takes 45 minutes to read and I think Adobe can benefit from this greatly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 6:54 PM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Absolutely ridiculous. I purchase your product with the stipulation that my customers can edit their own web pages with incontext editing. Then you decide to discontinue it and try to gouge the prices for the same service that we have already paid for with the CS4 release. Adobe ought to be ashamed of itself. I pride myself in customer satisfaction and that in itself has kept me employed. Adobe may be the juggernaught in this category but if they keep making poor decisions such as these they will soon find themselves replaced.

Anybody know of a third party source that can perform the same task or am I going to have to program my own back end to allow customers to change their text?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 12:29 AM   in reply to Matt Parlett

Answer 268 in this thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2740963#2740963 gives a list of alternatives. Quite a few - myself included have gone for Pagelime, but there's plenty to explore in that list.It has the great advantage of being brand-able so clients do everything through your own interface.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:27 AM   in reply to maggie ourpets

I believe PageLime is working on a script that will "convert" a site from InContext to PageLime's service....

Not that you need a script to this... they've made their CMS so simple, its almost stupid..

I'd ecourage anyone who is in the CMS market to take a look at their demo video here  PAGELIME

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:47 AM   in reply to Tommy Logic

I think Christmas came early for Pagelime! As you say, it is unbelievably simple - and cheap. I've been looking for the catch but not finding it yet ...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 4:20 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Is this legal?you buy something offering a service then that service is just taken away,i want my money back ,i have clients that cannot afford this new service.this really sucks

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2010 7:05 PM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Cristinel,

Can you please provide a more specific date for the end of InContext? (I.e., more specific than "2011".) That would help us make transition plans.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 5:26 AM   in reply to antlion

I agree.  I'd like to know how soon I need to find an alternative to BC because it is not necessary for most of the sites I build.

Most of my clients just want editable regions on their site.........AND THATS IT!!  I still can't believe that Adobe actually TOOK THIS FEATURE AWAY from those of us that purchased CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2010 12:38 PM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Just let us know when you are switching the service off, please.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points