Skip navigation
bagolddigger
Currently Being Moderated

GUI ERROR MESSAGE

Apr 17, 2010 6:29 PM

The error reads "getplus+error", under that is reads UNABLE TO LOAD GUI.

I am running Windows XP Home, SP2, Internet Explorer 8.

No one told me how to fix this problem just a bunch of talk, give me a web site or talk in a way I can follow the steps.

I do not see where to download the DOWNLOAD MANAGER, anyone have the web link to download it.

Help, but I am not a computer wiz so help me out with steps or links to follow.

All the different answers just confuse us.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2010 7:22 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, first you do not want the Download Manager or getPlus, they both cause problems. So first, you need to go to

Add/Remove from the Control Panel. When you find the DLM(download manager) you will click on it and Remove it.

You will know it's removed because it will no longer be listed. Then look for getPlus, and do the same.

When you have finished that, Reboot(restart) your computer.

Now I need to have some information:

Are you the Administrator and using the Administrator Account?

What Anti-Virus/Spyware do you use? Does it contain a Firewall? If not, do you use any Firewall other than Windows Firewall?

Do you use any Ad-Block or is any pop-up blocker software installed?

Do you use any third party Toolbars?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2010 9:37 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, ok thanks for the info. When you clicked on the DLM in Add/Remove you could not remove it? I'll do some checking on

that and see what I can find. It wouldn't have any size listed, since it isn't a program, it is a downloader.

The getPlus was not in the Add/Remove, but you removed NOS.

I would not suggest doing a system restore, unless you have a valid reason to do so. It may restore something that you do not want restored and cause you more problems.

You have XP/SP2, so the SP3 would be the next one( Service Pack) You can install that from Microsoft online if you wanted to. I wouldn't do it now while you are working to get Flash Player installed. The SP3 does take some time, a couple of hours. Just be sure to read the preparation needed before doing it.

The pop up blocker and the CA Anti-Virus will be taken care of when you Uninstall.

Does the CA have a Firewall, or do you use the Windows Firewall?

We will need to run an Uninstall before Installing and I'll give you the links and instructions for that. My concern is the DLM, since it has not been removed, may interfere. I have some info on that, so hold off until I get back to you on that.

Since my time zone is U.S.EDT, it is 12:35AM, so I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon.

The easiest way to find your thread to reply is go to www.adobe.com and then hold your mouse over communities and when the window opens, click on forum. Then you'll see the down arrow to select forum, find Flash Player and click on Go.

Then find your thread and click on it and then you can post.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 2:51 AM   in reply to bagolddigger

You can download the offline installer (without DLM) for Internet Explorer from this link http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_play er_ax.exe; save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 11:03 AM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi ba, before you start, go to manage add ons (All add ons) and check if any DLM or getPlus add ons are listed. If they are, disable them and then proceed with what I have posted below.

The following is a thread that has the instructions that you can follow:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/617242?tstart=60

Look for Post # 6. Now after you have the Uninstaller and Installer on your Desktop and when you get to the step "Close all browsers" you will do the following:

Close all browsers.

Disconnect from the Internet

Disable your CA Anti-Virus and CA Firewall

Then RUN the Uninstaller and the Rebooting that is listed there.

You will then check the CA A/V & Firewall to make sure it is still Disabled, if not Disable it again

Then RUN the Installer, and Reboot Once when finished.

Re-enable your CA A/V & Firewall

Reconnect back to the Internet and do the Adobe test

Post back the results and I'll have you check some files.

If you have any questions, please ask before you start.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. I forgot to tell you that you may want to print this info out so it will be easier to follow.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 4:03 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, well it sounds like it all went ok. Now the Add/Remove won't be where the files are. Go to this site to test, as soon as the site opens, in a second or two, Adobe will tell you that you have FP installed and the version #. You don't have to do anything other than go to the site.

It will also tell you if FP is not installed or some message.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about

Then I will have some more info for you, let me know what the test said.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 6:40 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, well the test has the right Flash Player version, that is the latest.

I don't know when Adobe will come out with the next version. You may receive a prompt on your computer saying an update is available and given the choice to install, remind me later, or don't install. You can just click on your choice. I would click on Install. It is all done by Adobe and you don't have to go thru what you just did. That is how I update, from the prompt.

Before we finish, I'll give you the site so you can sign up for Adobe to notify you if you like.

Right now, I want you to go to Manage add ons(all add ons) and find Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control...

Flash10e.ocx and make sure it is listed that way and enabled. This is the version 10.0.45.2. Let me know.

On your temp files, click on Tools, then click on Internet Options. You should see a rectangle box "delete files". Click on that and another window will open, "offline content" and a small box, click on the small box and say ok. Then click on delete files again and just say ok. Then down at the bottom, click on ok and you are done. Now I don't use IE8 so yours may be somewhat different, but that is the idea.

I have a couple of links for IE8 from Microsoft and I'll post them.

Check that add on for me and post back.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 7:17 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, that Shockwave Flash Object 10.0.22.87 is an old version, actually 4 versions old. We are going to have to remove it,

and get the latest version installed. I'll get you the info in a minute.

Now the fact that the get_atlcom is there, tells me when you removed the NOS, that didn't do it. Does it say it is an ActiveX? or BHO? or Helper? Which is listed by it?

Here is what you need to do first. Go to Start, then click on search. In one of the fields enter: getplus and click search. The search results will tell you where the file is so you can go and remove/delete it.

Are you sure you are running as Administrator? Just double checking.

No I don't use FF and not a Mac. My sis has a brand new iMac, like a foreign language to me LOL I have thot of installing FF, but just have so much going on, have not done it.

If it's not Flash Player updating, it's Adobe Reader, or Microsoft or Java, or the Anti-Virus and on and on!! Ha-Ha, hard to keep up sometimes. I have sticky notes everywhere.

Ok, see what you can do and post back.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 8:29 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Ok, thanks. That's a good feature that you can get additional information on those ActiveX Controls.

No I don't think you need to search now. I was pretty sure the get_atlcom was in the program files.

We will remove it and the old version of Shockwave Flash Object also, but a different way.

Ok, thanks for confirming the Admin. part.

Thanks for the consideration. I think we'll take a break for tonight and start tomorrow.

I have a birthday (not mine) get together with Family tomorrow, so not sure when I'll get back on the forum. Afternoon as far as I know of the plans now.

But when I do, I'll post to you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi, This is the website you want to go to and find "Can I delete Add-ons or ActiveX Controls? Open that and follow it and you want to Remove Shockwave Flash Object version 10.0.22.87. Then click on get_atlcom Class 1.6.2.63 and Remove it.

When finished, Reboot. Check in your all add ons and make sure they have both been Removed.

Check in your Add/Remove again to make sure getPlus is not listed there, alphabetically.  You should be able to Remove the DLM also. Adobe says you can, so I'm not sure why you can't. What happens when you click on the DLM?

In your post#2 you said you deleted a program NOS which showed the getPlus? Please check and see if it is there now

and did you delete one file, two files. Was this NOS in your Program files from Windows?

Thanks and let me know.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 2:00 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, glad you posted back and reminded me of that! Here is the website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Internet-Explorer-add-ons- frequently-asked-questions

No, the NOS is not a Windows program. It is a download installer that Adobe uses, but not needed and causes problems.

I got behind and hadn't had time to check your thread, sorry.

Ok, try that and let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 5:09 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Thanks for searching. I am not sure what the blue color means. Let's see if we can delete the files this way.

Do a search for gp.ocx and then go to the locations that the search results list and delete/remove every listing of gp.ocx.

Then do another search for gp.inf and do the same thing.

Reboot your computer after that.

Then go to your All add ons and see if the get_atlcom Class 1.6.2.63 has been removed.

Then go back to Add/Remove and see if you can now Remove the DLM listing. If you can, Reboot.

Post back the results please.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 6:59 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, Well I am as puzzled as you are. I use XP also, so where you go I am more familiar with than other OS's.

When I search, I click on Start, then click on Search. In the window that opens, there are 2 places to enter info. Enter

gp.ocx in the place that says "All or part of the file name". Same place for the gp.inf. Then hit Search near the bottom, and

wait until it is done.

Is that how you search?

Now that get_atlcom Class was in all add ons. We have to remove the file that put it there and that is what you are searching for, we remove the gp.ocx and the gp.inf then the get_atlcom Class will be removed because of that. Am I making any sense? LOL

Let me know if you search that way.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 8:08 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, ok that's good, at least that is the same. What website is asking to install an ActiveX Control and for what? What does the message say? You don't want to allow that unless you know it is safe. So let me know right away.

Now here is something I want you to do. Go and right click on the CA icon and find the Privacy Option, open that or click on it however it's done and turn off the ad/pop-up blocker.

Then check this site and see if you can see the animation:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 8:41 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi again, so it is a request from Google to allow Flash Player to install? I would not allow it, for the simple reason you will be right back where you were before. Until we get rid of the DLM/getPlus, etc. and get CA under control, you'll just have another failed attempt. I don't see any point in that, do you?

We are trying to remedy what prevented you to have a successful Uninstall/Install in the first place. We have not done that yet, and until we do, Flash Player will continue to fail to Install.

I don't want you to check any web site until you tell me if you acted on the CA info I posted. When I ask you to do something and post back, I do it for a reason. I need to know the results of what I asked you to do.

You don't need to allow the prompt from Google to install Flash Player and fail in order to have Adobe check your Flash Player version, etc.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 9:20 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, I know you are doing the best you can. Sorry If I was short. I'm glad you asked about the pop up, that is what you were supposed to do.

Ok, now the pop up since you explained it means this. The one you got from your home page is asking because it is looking at the old SWO in your add ons and knows it is not the correct one and wants you to update Flash Player. However, that is normal. The only thing is that pop up does not take anything into consideration other than it sees the wrong version, that's all. Only we know what we are doing to correct the problems so we can install the correct Flash Player version.

Same think when you went to the Adobe site I gave you. It is asking the same thing for the same reason as the pop up did

on your home page. The only way it will tell you anything is if and when we get the correct Flash Player installed.

The fact that you are getting the pop-ups just means that you don't have the correct version of Flash Player installed.

Only we know why, the pop up doesn't:-)

If we had the correct Flash Player installed, you would not get any pop ups!! LOL So we are going to ignore the pop ups and continue to correct the problems and try to get Flash Player installed, right?

Hope that explains it.

Have a good night:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. you can answer me this tomorrow. So you found the Privacy Option and the ad/pop up blocker, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 9:53 PM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi, I meant to tell you I printed out all of the searches you did, where you said you had a lot of blue entries. I didn't have

time to check them out yet, but intend to.

Maybe some good info will turn up from that. Very busy day.

Thanks,

e/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to bagolddigger

Hi ba, it's no bother:-) I know you are as frustrated as I am. Those files that you listed, you do not want to disturb in any way.

The problems that we are facing are the removing of the DLM, which you are unable to do. The removal of the vs 10.0.22.87 in your add ons, along with the get_atlcom Class that is there. That you were unable to find the gp.ocx or gp.inf is another issue. Most all of these, other users are able to do and then proceed. For some reason you are not able to and I don't know why. Because of  this, I am of the opinion that another try, will fail. However, if you would like to try again, you can.

I hate to see you have to pay for something that you or some friend or relative that could help you can do. Now before you resort to that, I am going to give you the toll free number for Microsoft for users that have IE8 installed, as you do.

I'll give you both the International and U.S. sites and use whichever applies to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/support/call-us.asp x

I do hope that you can resolve these issues. Sometimes there are other problems with a computer that is beyond my ability to diagnose.

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points