Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Actions

Jan 29, 2009 1:37 AM

Make Actions in InDesign (like in Illustrator and Photoshop)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2009 4:30 AM   in reply to dtpartner
    This is something I've wished for from time to time.

InDesign allows for scripts, which are far more powerful that simple actions, and you can use the transform again commands to repeat what you just did, but there is no way to record a sequence of operations and save them for later re-use, which would be a real bonus for the non-scripters among us.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2009 2:21 PM   in reply to dtpartner
    You are so right "there is no way to record a sequence of operations and save them for later re-use, which would be a real bonus for the non-scripters among us." I'm constantly running into cases where I want to create an action, like I used to be able to, where I can save a series of keystrokes to reuse.

Why in the world would Adobe discontinue this useful capability??

Ron

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2009 2:53 PM   in reply to dtpartner
    > Why in the world would Adobe discontinue this useful capability?

I don't believe they did. Actions have never been a feature of InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2009 3:03 PM   in reply to (Ron_M_Anderson)
    > Why in the world would Adobe discontinue this useful capability??

You can't discontinue something that never existed. You must be thinking
    about something else.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2009 6:51 AM   in reply to dtpartner

If you are working on a Mac, Applescript isn't that hard.  I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack and I can do it.  Start by opening up some of the supplied scripts in Script Editor.  There are Applescripts that are very complex, but an "action" script is usually limited in scope and simple.  Do you have an example Action that you'd like to have?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to dtpartner

Does the upcoming CS5 have actions? Is there a automated way of

exporting to ePub?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2010 5:27 PM   in reply to Hipzone

Nobody participating in thei s forum is in a position ot be able to answer questions about what might or might not be included in any future release. We'll all have to wait for the public announcements.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2010 7:29 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I totally agree. We need actions in InDesign - scripting is way too complex (and I'm a web designer who writes JS!). Photoshop has had them for years, and they are absolutely wonderful.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 9:31 AM   in reply to dtpartner

+1 for Actions in InDesign.  Or perhaps a "script recorder" that let you see how to accomplish actions via javascript or whatever language you choose.

I need to import an XML file, export pdf, import a different XML, export pdf, etc etc 150 times.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:10 AM   in reply to Jo_si_ah

There is a server version for Indesign. Maybee the reason for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:03 AM   in reply to dtpartner

Actions are a time saver in Photoshop. Don´t know why they doesn´t exist in InDesign. I need to place 235 tables from illustrator: Place, scale 65%, rotate 90° and center on page... 235 times!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:20 AM   in reply to MAmanogabriel1

if you need to do this more than one time you will be faster if you write a script that does it instead of doing it manually each time.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 8:26 AM   in reply to MAmanogabriel1

If you are doing the same transformations repeatedly, you can do one frame, then select as many more as possible (i.e, the rest that are on the spread or all that are on another spread), then Object > Transform > Transform Again > Transform Sequence Again Individually. This is not quite as nice as an action, but comes fairly close, and you can edit the keyboard shortcuts to assigne a shortcut to the command if yo need to use it a lot.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)