Skip navigation
SarahBon
Currently Being Moderated

Examples of Flash Catalyst creations

Feb 16, 2010 3:31 PM

I would love to see what some of you have created using Flash Catalyst. I want to see exactly what this software is capable of before investing the time into learning it. I know my away around Photoshop but have only dabbled in Flash. Thanks!

Replies 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2010 7:28 AM   in reply to SarahBon

I agree with SarahBon.. Can we see Examples of Flash Catalyst?..  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 6:04 AM   in reply to GabRey

This is only a beta, so it is pretty risky to spend a lot of time creating something that might be used on a live project and will need editing in the future.

Here is a sample of my test with video... Please note that the video is in the background and the buttons are above it as if it were a simple static image...

I don't know how slow or fast it will play on older computers... On mine it loads very quickly and plays without hickups. The shoreter version of the video is about 2.2, the longer 6.2 megs. (I used H.264 .f4v format).  Pages can be changed while video is playing -- This is Great feature!

One more thing -- the video was first imported into Flash CS4 because Catalist would not stop on the last frame... Unfortunetally this killed my ability to add play, stop - pause - buttons... (They only work with video that was imported directly to Catalist -- video wrapped into swf file does not work -- I hope this will change).

http://www.opotion.com/tests/video/

I can't promise how long this link will work

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 12:42 PM   in reply to SarahBon

I'm one of those "people" referred to as "doing risky things" and have invested much sweat and frustration in creating a website using Illustrator CS4, PS CS4 and Flash Catalyst.

I'll post the link when it's done.

Technically I'm an idiot.  I've been repeatedly creating the same website for months now, creating a bit, saving the file, recovering from the inevitable crash (desperately hoping there's a beta 3 - I check every day).  It's a bit insane when you think about it.

The fact is that I need a killer website and I can't do it in Flash.

I don't know if it's me and a handful of other people who just can't seem to crack the Flash barrier, but I've spent countless hours studying, practicing, taking FLA files apart, bit-by-bit and I stil don't get it.  And I've been a programmer for 25 years.  I'm an artist though and that's probably the problem and also why FC is so appealing.  It does the work behind the scenes (in-between crashes).

BUT - there's something positive in this.  The longer I work with FC, the more I understand how Flash works.  I didn't expect that to happen.  I wouldn't be surprised if some day I create my website entirely in Flash simply because I know FC so well.

-jh

I think pioneers are really just people too stupid to know when to quit... ;o)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to loosepaint

>>>>>>I don't know if it's me and a handful of other people who just can't seem to crack the Flash barrier, but I've spent countless hours studying, practicing, taking FLA files apart, bit-by-bit and I stil don't get it. <<<<<

Which only proves one thing that everybody probably knows by now -- Flash is a wonderful technology that is very badly implemented... It seems as if Adobe is only now waking up to this reality that Flash and Action Script needs GUI...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 7:25 PM   in reply to SarahBon

It would actually be cool to start building a library as well on the Flash Catalyst exchange -

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=productHome&exc= 28

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 10:21 AM   in reply to SarahBon

Here is a site I made for myself experimenting with FC

i LOVE this program

http://myhome.spu.edu/schwiz/SchwietDesign/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to Schwiet

Schwiet thats looking great man.. when you made the gallery....did you basically create a new "state" for every image?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to dragotron75

yes the detailed images are all on separated states... i actually had to cut down on the work i used because in the Beta you can only have 20 states or less, which was a bummer. the thumbnails are all buttons linking to the correlating states

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 3:19 PM   in reply to SarahBon

oh.. I wasn't aware of that maximum... I have a gallery with well over 20 photos. I wonder how I could work around that then....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 8:01 AM   in reply to SarahBon

If you have linux then you will need flash 10.1, but windows should be fine. The embedded fonts have a problem when run under linux - catalyst bug.

Oh, and I did not get to choose the phots for the gallery - not my choice but outa my hands that one - hehe

Enjoy - http://www.gallerybistrohove.co.uk/flash/index.html

The (About Us page) photo gallery and sound basics were done with catalyst and then tweeked in FlashBuilder/Flex to load the photos and make the sound on/off work correctly - this is an in progress project..

Suzanne

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to jtpuk

here is one i'm working on:

[edit] link removed at poster's request

anyone know how to make a preloader?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to Dragotro

Hello there,

There are some very nice looking sites here

Making a custom preloader requires some technical diving. Here are two great resources for how to do this between Flash Professional and Flash Builder:

http://www.alagad.com/blog/post.cfm/custom-preloaders-for-flex

http://gotoandlearn.com/play?id=108

The basic workflow would be this:

1. Create your project in Catalyst, save it as an FXP and import it into Flash Builder

2. Create your Preloader animation in Flash Professional and export it as a swc

3. Bring the SWC into your project in Flash Builder

4. Create an ActionScript class that links the SWC to Flex loading events

5. Attach the AS class to your main Application

For now, there is unfortunately no way to do this without some coding and some work between multiple Flash products.

-Bear

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 5:10 AM   in reply to SarahBon

This is a project I'm working on: http://www.leonaralvarez.com. It's my personal portfolio and it's still in progress.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to SarahBon

There might be a downside to developing our websites in FC Beta2 - Beta 1 wasn't compatible with Beta 2 - and I had to start over from scratch.  So I wonder if B2 will be compatible with whatever's next?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 4:29 AM   in reply to SarahBon

Hello!

I've created a website with Fc, it's a website created as a presentation for a design of a lamp.

Enjoy

www.bklightstyle.nl

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 4:39 AM   in reply to Roman441

Hi Roman441

The link you gave is invalid ! I receive a 404 error with a page forbidden.

Blessings

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 5:00 AM   in reply to jtpuk

Hello again,

It works for me. The website is about 25 mb so it can take a while to load

Can you try it again now? I think i messed the main.html / index.html up

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 7:01 AM   in reply to Roman441

It's not working..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2010 9:35 AM   in reply to Roman441

A bit strange, when i go to www.bklightstyle.nl in chrome it displays it perfectly. Initially the page is blank and you can't see a thing, but after a few moments (depending on your connectionspeed, it's a flashfile of 25 mb)

Please check it again, if it's still not working, please tell me what you see (or don't for that matter)

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 6:04 AM   in reply to Roman441

It works, It's beautiful, but... it takes about 4 minutes to load... and I have a pretty fast connection...

Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 3:50 PM   in reply to SarahBon

Hi Sarah,

The U.S. Navy SEALs have just re-vamped their site using Catalyst. As the designer I can say it helped me score a home run with the command. Give it a try.

http://sealswcc.com

All the best with your creation,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2010 10:41 AM   in reply to SarahBon

98% cpu load on my macbook pro on theses sites ....

Adobe should fix such cpu hogs to keep their customers

>http://bklightstyle.nl/ designed for a 30" screen? Image someone witha netbook want to have a look on your site

Some kind of autoscaling dependant of the viewable area in the browser would very useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2010 5:59 PM   in reply to dragotron75

dragotron!

to make your gallery happen you should create a custom component! those haver ther own "pages/states". I just made an horizontal image scroll bar with 30 thumbnails and when you clic on them the "big" image appears. Fc is really cool.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 12:28 PM   in reply to jdosses

thanks man! yeah I ended up doing the same thing.. there is another way to

do it with "data lists" It sounds really good too but I couldn't figure it

out...

what I REALLY want to know now is how to create a preloader with flash cat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 3:01 PM   in reply to dragotron75

If you want to create an image gallery using data lists, check out this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2649963

which covers the topic in detail.

Creating a custom preloader, as I mentioned above, requires non-trivial work in Builder. If you want to replace the loader with a custom static image, then you should be able to customize the resources here:

http://www.psyked.co.uk/adobe/flex/custom-preloader-class-for-flex.htm or here

http://onflash.org/ted/2006/07/flex-2-preloaders-swf-png-gif-examples. php

If you want to use any type of flash file for your preloader, you will have to work in Flash Authoring (Flash CS4). Catalyst projects rely on the Flex framework, which is not available during the preloader phase. This means that you cannot use a Catalyst-generated .swf as a preloader. To load and play a simple .swf animation, you can adapt the code at the above link. To create a preloader that changes based on the loading status / percentage, you will need to do significantly more coding, and you can follow the steps at the below tutorials.

http://www.alagad.com/blog/post.cfm/custom-preloaders-for-flex

http://gotoandlearn.com/play?id=108

http://www.jessewarden.com/2007/.../making-a-cooler-preloader-in-flex- part-1-of-3.html (temporarily down due to a site hack, but you can use google's cached version)

(Or try a web search for "Flex Custom Preloaders")

-Bear

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 5:40 PM   in reply to SarahBon

Hi! this is a presentation a made, didn't have enough time to "finish" it.

It's a big file so if you wanna download it here's the link

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/4/8/2821972/My%20Documents/Main.swf

or watch in my google site, but that might take you a while since the file is 52M

https://sites.google.com/site/jdosses/

pd. You can clic on the blue and red rectangles -  "influencias" page

pd2. You can clic on the images inside the horizontal scrollbar -  "bayer" page

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to SarahBon

I thought on this topic I would see all sorts of examples of peoples work??  Ideas and examples of stretching the boundries.

I have want to build a user interface for my small business, a place where all my business administrative needs are prioritized and all action I need to take are prioritized and listed so I can perform better. I also want to build into the design different screens so that my client and suppliers can also work collaboratively with me for maximum productivity.

My business is property related, and property repairs and improvements to be specific.

My user interface so far can be seen here.

But I am struggling with splitting the design into components and with navigation and datalist components... Any help gratefully received if you are interested in the design.

http://www.milessimpler.com/FlashCatalyst/Main.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 9:56 AM   in reply to web2miles

Miles,

First and foremost - I like what you did with your Interface. Thats actually pretty cool and seems like it will be quite well mapped out when its  done. Good luck with it.

I think the reason we don't see more samples yet is the product really hasn't been released fully yet and therefore not many real life apps built yet. I think once FC finally ships with CS5 you will see more creative applications of it from many more creative minds.

By fall, I would bet there will be tons of examples out there. Looking forward to having some real life stuff done myself.

Brad Lawryk
    Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver
    Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2010 1:10 PM   in reply to Brad Lawryk

Hi Brad.

It is great to hear from you, thanks for your feedback. I am really enjoying

Catalyst and cant wait to buy it so I can phone adobe when I get stuck.

Could you help at all about navigating from component to component? You can

see I have designed the first page to be a 'dashboard' with quick links to

important stuff and the idea is for the button to go direct to a different

section of the app. Problem is I have realized that in Catalyst the only

navigation you get is from inside one component to states of that

component?? You can't change level? If you see what I mean.

It looks like its well mapped out, and I think im getting the hang of it but

now have reached the stage where I need some help to understand how to

separate components and where to use states so I can keep building; I would

really love some help! Are you available or do you know the right person I

could speak to??

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards

Stuart Miles

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 3:20 PM   in reply to web2miles
    Are you available or do you know the right person I could speak to??

Hi Stuart,

I am just learning Catalyst myself, but it seems there is some knowledgable (and even Adobe staff) that post here. As with Catalyst samples, I am sure there will be even more knowledgable people contributing here in the months to come.

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to SarahBon

Hello, can anyone please tell me how you can remove the top bar like the window, when you make an AIR Application and run it. And, how to make the background transparent. Can this be made in Flash Catalyst ? Or in Flash Builder (i`m new to this). Thank you very much !

My e-mail: rtalinga@yahoo.com    .Thank you in advance and sorry for my english !

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2010 8:31 PM   in reply to eFeCtTM

I have a small demo/example here - just showcasing some FC capabilities

http://www.heathrowe.com/other/fc2/main.html

h

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2010 9:29 PM   in reply to heathrowe

Nicely done.  Everything works as I would expect when I visit a Flash website.

Did you notice that when you go to the gallery and click on a an image's thumbnail - and then leave the gallery by clicking a link to a different page on the site - and then go back to the gallery - the image is still the same one you last clicked on, rather than resetting to the first image?

I think sometimes that's desirable, but when I was learning FC, I wanted my gallery image to reset to the the first image if the user left the page and then came back.

It was a number of months ago (like 6 or 10 or something) and I posted asking how to do that and there is a solution, but I don't remember what it was.  It came from Adobe support and it's in the forum somewhere.  If I can find my email I'll post it, in case others would want to be able to have that option.

Or maybe y'all know that.  I haven't visited the forum for a while - I JUST WANT CS5 DESIGN PREMIUM!!!!!  I CAN'T STAND WAITING!!!!

Why is a month sometimes like - forever?

-jh

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 6:05 AM   in reply to loosepaint

If you want to set back to the original image it can be done by adding the interactions to the button.

So, on the action; click, up, or otherwise, of the button, apply the show/hide for each element in the interactions panel.

A little tedious but worthwhile.

S.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 6:40 AM   in reply to typolonyc

This could be exactly what you said and if it is I apologize - I'm not normally coherent until noon or so......

I was switching between 2 galleries of images (artwork and photography) and the way I was trying to fix it wasn't working.  The fades between views was an added complication.

This was the response from Adobe on the reset (I don't know if this will even makes sense to anyone without some context):

Hi Jeff,

I can see the problem you're hitting.  We'll investigate this on our end, but in the meantime here's a workaround:

1. Change the Artwork state setting back to default

2. I assume you have two main states, one where the Artwork component is visible and one where Photography is visible instead.  Select the transition that goes from Photography back to Artwork.

3. Select the Artwork component (in other words, the component that is +becoming+ visible during the transition)

4. In Timelines, click Add Effect > Set Component State

5. In the Properties panel, select "image001" as the state to set.

6. Make sure the little tickmark for this item in the Timeline is at the beginning of (or before) the Artwork fade-in so that the state changes before Artwork starts becoming visible.

Hope that helps!

- Peter

-jh

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 7:00 AM   in reply to loosepaint

Noon? Do you have kids???

I remember those days...

The way I worked it out was to make each of my main images a component. It was how I got over the 20 state limit too.

I have a row of icons that I made buttons along the bottom, when clicked they show/hide the main image much like you have on your site.

So, with my main image a component, I can set 2 states, one where visibility is 100% (I called the first state imagename_show) and the second state 0% (imagename_fade). The default state of all but one of the main images was set to fade.

In the Interactions panel I set the Change State to "imagename_show" on one button and then "imagename_fade" to the same button for all the others.

(I did propose to Adobe that the ability to multiple select items here would help). Then, on all the navigation buttons, add new interactions to Change State "imagename_fade" of all the main images and "imagename_show" to the image you want as the default. So, whenever you click Home, it hides everything. When you hit the Gallery button it loads with the State(s) you want. It takes a bit of time and is tediously repetitive but it works a treat.

Does that make sense?

S.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 1:13 PM   in reply to SarahBon

Here is mine! They have a few bugs and the secnd link takes to long to load so I didnt finish that site but they look nice

http://dylanwhite.net/test/

http://dylanwhite.net/new/Main.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 4:59 PM   in reply to SarahBon

If your a designer this program is a dream come true. It's pretty easy to learn if you know the basics of flash and you want to just get going? There are a few things that i'm learning and most of the videos help but I would suggest if you don't want to wait around for a programmer this is the way to go.

I just created www.SmakDigital.com for my personal site. Few bugs but I'm hoping these forums can help me iron them out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to SarahBon

Here is a fun little sight I am working on.

The links are not fully functional it's still a work in progress.

http://moonlightdigital.me/deploy-to-web/Main.html

http://moonlightdigital.me/about/about.html

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers