Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Homesite and Windows 7, anyone?

Oct 9, 2009 9:33 AM

Howdy All,

As most of us know, Windows 7 is due for release shortly, and I don't like to be behind the times on the OS front.

So has anyone here got Homesite running on Windows 7 RC? I do have Windows 7 RC, but I don't fancy installing it just to test this, when I'm sure there are some of you out there that have already tried.

If it does work, found any bugs? Or anything annoying in there?

Oh how I wish Adobe would dump that piece of sh!t dreamweaver and bring homesite back to us

Thanking you!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2009 2:33 PM   in reply to smckeogh

I'm running the OEM version of Windows 7 and in order to get Homesite to work (the good news being that I DID get it to work) I had to run it as administrator and in the XP SP2 compatibility mode. That got it running.

My next hurdle was that it would not connect to any of my mapped network drives. To conquer that I had to turn off the User Account Control 'feature'. Runs fine now, and Windows 7 is lightyears ahead of Vista. All's right in the world now.

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2010 5:40 AM   in reply to smckeogh

Just wanted to update this thread regarding the mapped drives.

Like the previous said, you can run Homesite by updating the properties of the shortcut. Choose compatibility mode "Windows XP" (Service Pack 2), and select "Run this program as an administrator" for the Privilege Level -both options found under the Compatibility tab.

However, instead of turning off the UAC (or lowering it) I got the mapped drives to work by following the instructions found here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverGP/thread/ccea0 2b7-341f-4867-913d-4fa934430f9a.

Here's the important bit:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ System
    3. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
    5. Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box (hexadecimal), type 1, and then click OK.
    7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Hope that helps. Gotta keep Homesite running, still haven't found a suitable replacement for it.

-Wm Schwartz

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2010 8:52 PM   in reply to smckeogh

As above

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OEM.

I had to go to Microsofts site and download the two files for XP Virtual machine mode.

Then run that and Homesite works in the Virtual machine mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 10:14 AM   in reply to mixsetup

I have HomeSite running in 32bit Win7 with no problems on an admin account. No need for XP mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 8:32 PM   in reply to Roy Reed

I started programming back in the days of machine code, switched to Assembly when it became popular, but never made the switch to C or its derivatives. I considered that "CODE BLOAT" for lazy programmers. And as slow as a load of bricks compared to clean machine code or Assembler.

When the Web happened I used a text editor, and eventually easily switched to Sausage Hot Dog when it hit the scene - sort of like Basic. When Homesite arrived I switched to it for its resemblance to Hot Dog plus its several extras that Hot Dog lacked. When Allair sold out I could see the end coming - buy your competitors and kill them. I was never able to make the transition to WYSIWYG - it just wouldn't do what I wanted it to do, the way I wanted to do it. I like software which works for me, not the other way around.

I did a number of sites, both personal and business, until the advent of VISTA, then gave up and retired. A couple days ago I heard that someone was running Homesite 5.5 in a virtual window under Win 7 so I figured it was worth a try. Search as I could, I never found my HS 5.5 disks but I did run across the 4.0 and 4.5 and installed 4.0 - version 4.5 was an upgrade. So, after a restart version 4.0 came up (with a minor error warning of no real consequence}. No software or hardware virtualization necessary and it seems to operate normally. Who knows, I may start up my site again.

Specs: Dell Inspiron, CPU E-4500, 3 Gb DDR2, Win 7 Pro, Office 10 Beta, Allaire Homesite 4.0..

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 1:29 PM   in reply to Roy Reed

I just got it running on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I was having trouble getting it to accept my serial numbers, past one for 5 and 5.5. It is dumb, but because I may not have the OS set up right, and the new screens open under the current one, instead of on top, when I moved the screen to check when I kept having trouble I found that I had two login boxes open. Then I was able to get my serial numbers to work and the program is working fine.

Sharon

PahRahdise Ranch, NV

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 8:25 PM   in reply to Sharon Lee Taylor

The only peculiarity I've noticed in running HS4.0 under Win 7 Pro is that when I access my browser (Chrome or Firefox) to set a Avatar, the browser window closes - with no error message. Strange, but not really a problem,

I' going to try to uninstall HS 4.0 and then reinstall it in my Sun Virtual Machine which I can set up as either XP or Dos/Win 3.x/ While I don't have any need to do any more commercial sites, I'd still like to do some experimenting. I might even reestablish my older personal site for which I still have all the files archived.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 9:00 PM   in reply to Sharon Lee Taylor

Well, I spoke too soon. Now everytime I close the program and reopen, I have to enter first the newest version 5.5 code...then it tells me to enter the previous version 5.0 code. Then it pops up a new screen and wants me to start again...if I close the two or three of those that pop up, I eventually see the program open and can use it. If you do it the other way you can't progress to having it load...so backward is best!

I gave up and downloaded Windows Web Expressions 3...it costs about what Homesite did. I can make it work until I have something else I can use. But what a pain.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 12:07 AM   in reply to Sharon Lee Taylor

It might be interesting to go to Sun anddownload their (free) Virtual Box and try HS in a virtual machine as I am when I get a chance..

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 9:48 AM   in reply to TropicalVegas

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.814 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2849 - Release Date: 05/01/10 23:27:00

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2010 12:37 PM   in reply to smckeogh

Thanks for all the great advice above. I've been able to get HomeSite up and running on Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit version), but I can't seem to apply the work-around for the "class not registered" error when opening and creating projects. The instructions at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/182/tn_18265.html worked before when I ran HomeSite on Windows XP, but not on Windows 7.

I am running cmd.exe as an administrator, and I'm able to navigate to the correct directory. When I enter the first regsvr32 command it works, but when I try to enter “regsvr32 wddx_com.dll” I get this error:

The Module “wddx_com.dll” was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the code 0x80070002.

Any ideas? I'm so close I can taste it. Everything else in the program seems to work fine so far. It would be a shame not to be able to create and open existing projects, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2010 5:29 PM   in reply to stellalune

You are way over my head! I took the cross update offer for Windows Web

Expressions 3...

less than $100. It will take a bit to learn, but it has some nice features.

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to smckeogh

I've tried a few other programs so far--Coffee Cup, Komodo Edit, etc. I guess I've just grown used to HomeSite over the years, but the others all seem to have too many or not the right features. I'll give WWE3 a try, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2010 9:10 AM   in reply to smckeogh

I got Homesite 5 running in Windows 7 32 bit by:

• copying the files from \Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia \bin to a temporary folder ...\temporary\bin
    • removing the \Macromedia \  folder
    • renaming the temporary folder \Macromedia\

Note the extra space in the orginal \Macromedia \bin path

Then:

• running a registry cleaner programme to identify all the duff entries relating to Homesite, ie where the key/value had an extra space
    • editing the entries to remove the offending space, it's about a 20 entries

And:

• On running Homesite for the first time thereafter, making a right click before opening and selecting 'Run as administrator'

Hope this helps someone. This is an essential programme.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2010 1:34 PM   in reply to intengu

Thanks for the info...I have already switched to Microsoft Web

Expressions 3.

It seems to be pretty intuitive so far...and it is a nice WYSIWYG

program. I tried

on my 64 bit Windows 7...I understand that the 32 bit version is more "older

software" forgiving!

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2010 6:49 PM   in reply to Sharon Lee Taylor

Thank's I'll try it later and see if it works with the 64 bit.  I still go to XP virtual mode and use Homesite

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 6:42 AM   in reply to intengu

Intengu, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately this didn't work on the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I was able to create the renamed folder and edit the registry entries, but when I remove the old Common Files\Macromedia folder with the extra space, leaving only the one without the space, HomeSite crashes on startup.

I have all the program's functionality except the ability to create and use projects, which is better than nothing, I guess. Still if anyone else reads this and has suggestions for 64-bit Win 7 users, I'd love to hear them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 6:49 AM   in reply to mixsetup

Mixsetup, I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, which doesn't allow you to run XP mode. Upgrading to Win 7 Pro would allow that, but it costs $90. Before I take the plunge, I'd like to know if you have total functionality with HomeSite, specifically the ability to create and re-open projects, verify links by project, etc. I'm assuming you do, since you can do all this on a regular XP machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 2:45 PM   in reply to stellalune

I don't have the Ultimate version of 7...so I can't run XP. I gave up and

switched to Microsoft Web Expressions 3...I have never found it worthwhile

to hang on to a program when the company stops keeping it updated...

too much potential for vulnerability to web attacks.

Maybe Adobe would release it to public domain so others can being to

update it.

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 2:57 PM   in reply to smckeogh

Spoke too soon...

In retrospect you need to keep the old (wrong) folder or else HS won't open (for some reason to do with the Homesite program I guess won't now be corrected.

But you do need the correct new folder and edited registry entries

This works fine for me on Windows 7 32 bit now

I only work  in text, and do lots of PHP templates, so a text editor is essential for me

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to intengu

Thanks for the suggestion, intengu. I tried leaving both the Macromedia_ and Macromedia folders within Common Files. I also run HomeSite as administrator, but even with all registry entries changed to Common Files\Macromedia (without the space). Now the program runs, but I still get the "class not registered" error every time I try to do anything with projects.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 7:36 PM   in reply to Roy Reed

I saw your post and I'm having trouble running Homesite and CF Studio in Windows 7.  My questions is how do I run HS in 32bit Win7 on admin account?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to tfall@fallcomm.com

No joy...I had it on a Windoze 7 64 bit...gave up...starting to like

Microsoft Web

Expressions 3 (I guess it is 4 now)...it is a WYSISYG program. I cannot

waste time

trying to make something old I like work on a system that isn't going to

let it

work...I think Macromedia and now Adobe are raiders for buying Cold

Fusion and

dumping Homesite.

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2010 6:05 PM   in reply to tfall@fallcomm.com

Hi--

I got Homesite to run on Windows 7 by following these steps:

1. Find the icon (shortcut) that opens HomeSite

2. Right click on the shortcut and choose "Properties"

3. Select the "Compatibility" tab

4. Under "Compatibility Mode", select "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP" (Service Pack 2)"

5. At the botom under "Privilege Level", select "Run this program as an administrator"

6. Click "OK"

7. Click the shortcut to open HomeSite

That worked for me.

-Wm

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2010 6:24 PM   in reply to WmSchwartz

I'll check it out...it would be nice not to have to keep learning new

programs every

time they fix enough bugs in Windows 98 (now called Windows 7) to charge

us for

an upgrade. Replacing hardware is getting annoying, too.

Sharon

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2010 3:18 PM   in reply to smckeogh

Sorry to see you all having problems with win7 and HomeSite, though it's predictable really.

I don't have win7 yet, but I'll try to an eye on what you all are finding and I'll add solutions to a Tip/FAQ on my asp4hs site.

It will be here (once I can upload today's edits)

FAQ: Does Homesite work in Windows 7?

http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs/tips.htm#hs_win7

In the meantime, for those with problems entering or having to reenter the serial numbers,

as I mentioned in this other thread about serial number problems,

it may be how the permissions are set for your registry.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/687224

I wonder if you have rights to that part of the registry.
    I know I didn't on one XP machine where I didn't have admin rights.
    I had to get that fixed or have an admin do not only the initial
    install, but run it once and enter the s/n.

see these faqs.  they might help.

FAQ: Does Homesite 5.x only work under an Administrator account?
    FAQ: What user permissions do I need for HomeSite under WinNT/2k/XP?
    http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs/tips.htm#win_permissions

Are you on Windows XP or Vista?  If Vista, see this, and this thread.
    http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs/tips.htm#win_vista

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/185500

please post back if you find the solution.

good luck,
    jeff
    -- Jeff Wilkinson
    volunteer for HomeSite
    see Asp4Hs: ASP/PHP/.Net/etc Development Extensions for HomeSite
    http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 11:13 AM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson

OK, if any of you here have totally given up on Homesite, how about selling me your copy of the software?

I've sorted through all my archives and while I found the manual, for the life of me I cannot find the original Homesite application CD, only an upgrade CD.

I've already purchased MS Expression Web so I have a backup, but it is soooo different from Homesite I'd really rather avoid that learning curve if I can get a copy of Homesite to run on my Windows 7 64bit system.

Please contact me at hutch@webpositions.net if you can help.

Thanks!

-Hutch-

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2010 7:04 PM   in reply to smckeogh

We just installed Homesite 5 on Windows 7 64 bit

OMG you have no idea how happy I am!

Install as Administrator

Compatibility mode: windows XP service pack 2.

*AFTER* you install you must right click on the shortcut and *set the comparability mode again*.

I have not used it yet - but I opened it and it looked good!

I will report back if I run into issues  - need to go install a bunch of other stuff.

OH I am sooooo happy!

I have this brand new machine and I was dreading the need to connect to my old machine over the vp just to use homesite - or to have to run an xp virtual machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2010 12:59 PM   in reply to Sqrlz

I tried to install Homesite 3.0 from CD.  Windows 7 did not want to know, referring to setup on a temp file which it refused to overwriteEventully after much messing about, I put the CD in a PC running XP, unzipped the Homesite exe file to a folder on a usb pen drive.  Repeated that to individual folders for Homesite 4.0 and the upgrade to 4.5.  Installed Homesite 3.0, whuch installed easily then Homesite 4.0 which did not appear to work, so installed the upgrade to it, which installed and worked.  I now have Homesite 4.5 running on Windows 7, just as I had in XP.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 1:10 PM   in reply to WmSchwartz

Thank you, WmSchwartz. I have what I assume is the latest updated version of Windows 7 and Homesite 5 and all I have to do is right-click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator," and it works perfectly. I echo everyone's complaint that Macromedia/Adobe should not have stopped supporting this program or at least should not have stopped making it available.

D.Brown

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 1:16 PM   in reply to WmSchwartz

Thanks for the step by step WmSchwartz worked perfectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2011 9:14 PM   in reply to gazzerman

I'm not WmSchwartz and I can't even remember if I posted anything, but if we've

both got Homesite working, we're a lot happier.

But thanks for writing.

Deloss

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 7:55 AM   in reply to delossbrown@prodigy.net

This probably isn't feasible, but I would LOVE to see Bob Margolin do one of

the spots. If FMY knows his background I could see them doing a feature

piece on him as well as a solo performance. That would be killer.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM, delossbrown@prodigy.net

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 7:29 AM   in reply to smckeogh

I just bought a new machine running Windows 7 HP and tried to install my Homesite 5.5 program to no avail; I get an error message saying that the executable file is not configured for a 64 bit system. I'm not much of a techy, so really am at a loss. Maybe I'll have to once again try Dreamweaver. Too bad Nick Bradbury couldn't resurect this amazing program to work on the new systems...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 5:54 PM   in reply to paddybates

See responses # 2 and  #24  (by -Wm Schwartz) they explain the process - and you will have to install and run as administrator!

Deb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2011 7:50 PM   in reply to paddybates

I'd try installing it as Administrator. Right click on the installation

executable and choose "Administrator"I thinkbecause I installed mine some

time ago.

I do know that if you get it installed, the first time you run it, you have to

run it as Administrator, using the technique above.

I said "yes" to "Do you want to allow this program to make changes? etc."  It

did not seem to do any damage to any of my other files.

But let's see what other people have to say. Other people?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to Roy Reed

I have a new laptop running Windows 7 32 & 64 bit.  I am trying to use HomeSite, but without success.  I'm not a web site guru, just work on my own site.  Could use some guidance getting HS to work.  None of the toolbars/quick bar work. Do I have a bad install?

Help!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 1:30 PM   in reply to embrlady

I also moved to Windows 7 and have never been able to run HomeSite.....I don't think HomeSite is Windows 7 compatible.  I believe others have found work arounds but when I tried some of the work arounds, it crashed by new laptop.  I just gave up and have gone to using DreamWeaver and HTML-Kit....They aren't my favorites but I've learned to adjust.

I hope you have better luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 1:52 PM   in reply to tfall@fallcomm.com

I have tried all of the workarounds discussed above and elsewhere to no avail... I just can't get Homesite 5 to work under Windows 7. Really a shame that Adobe chose to abandon this fine product as I definitely feel there is a place for both Dreamweaver and Homesite editors.

When you want a quick little change, using Dreamweaver, Expression Web, or most other such tools is like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. More complex is not always the best answer, gang.

While I own *both* of those high end tools (and not really happy with either of them), I find myself most often resorting to the Coffee Cup HTML editor as it has the closest look and feel to Homesite. Certain differences will make you swear at it and wonder WHY did they do it that way, but you deal with it since it works in Win 7.

Funny. After all this time, I'd still go back to XP and all its foibles any day of the week so as to avoid the constant hassles and apparent change-for-the-sake-of-change I see in Win 7 applications.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points