Skip navigation
Abdlah
Currently Being Moderated

Powerful SMS Server?

May 3, 2010 3:31 AM

Hello, I am wondering is Coldfusion 9 is a good product for developing an election tracking system, where results from over 22000 polling stations are send in via SMS.

Since I have not found any information on who much information the SMS gateway can process per minute/ per second, I a not able to decide whether is would be able to handle the job.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to Abdlah

Abdlah wrote:

Since I have not found any information on who much information the SMS gateway can process per minute/ per second

That would most probably be because those numbers would depend greatly on the hardware you install CF on and how you write your CFML SMS application.  I am sure a ColdFusion application could be created that would handle that load.  I can't tell you how much hardware|licenses it would take as that would require an applciation to load test against to find out.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to Abdlah

we've crushed SMS aggregators sending from 1 cf7 server (using the asynch

gateway). cf9 is even more ruthless if your network is up to it & your cf &

db servers are beefy enough, you should be able to handle 22k SMS but consider

the followng:

besides h/w & network latency, throughput is going to depend on your app's logic

(processing, synch vs asynch, etc.) & more importantly on the SMS provider--even

some of the more reliable/costly ones still need 400-500ms per SMS.

so i would worry more about the SMS provider especially if you go for one of the

cheaper ones. besides the obvious issues w/the low cost ones, note that

currently cf only does transceiver binding which some of the really cheap ones

won't support.

btw this wouldn't happen to be in ghana? i seem to recall something about SMS &

elections 1-2 years ago on these forums.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points