Skip navigation

Dreamweaver CS5 will not open

Apr 30, 2010 8:50 AM

Latest reply: Cyford, Jun 10, 2013 8:55 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2010 11:07 AM   in reply to Nohl Lyons

Make sure that you are looking in the correct "Library" folder.  The one that is in your home folder is what you are after.

I should also add that changing persmissions on the folder has not worked for me.  So far turning off File Vault  the only thing that works, which I'm not willing to do.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 11:47 AM   in reply to Nohl Lyons

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629224

This Folder exactly, I didnt even look inside to see anything all I did was change the permission on that specific folder mentioned in the thread above.  I never had file vault on but ran into the same error many users were experiencing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to Vincent^\'^

did that, didn't work.  FileVault off too

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to Vincent^\'^

Re: Dreamweaver CS5 will not open

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629224

This Folder exactly, I didnt even look inside to see anything all I did was change the permission on that specific folder mentioned in the thread above.  I never had file vault on but ran into the same error many users were experiencing.

This link did it. hmm. How annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 1:40 PM   in reply to yeahsurelalala

did you restart your machine after?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 2:52 PM   in reply to Vincent^\'^

yup, I give up

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 4:02 PM   in reply to freicook

Contact the Adobe technical helpers...

(Phone number)

Or talk to a rep. online.

The number should be

there when you click on

'contact' or 'support'

good luck!

-cg

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 4:57 PM   in reply to Caroline G

Been there, done that.

Unless, something new has been discovered, you will be wasting your time. The person of Indian decent I spoke to had no clue what the problem was or how it could be fixed. And, as nice as he was, it was often difficult for me to understand him.

I'm still hoping that Adobe's engineers are on this and that we will have a solution soon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 5:02 PM   in reply to Disc Dogger

funny, looks like we talked to the same guy, he didn't know what to do.  told me to uninstall and reinstall in safe mode, which I did, to no avail.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 5:36 PM   in reply to Nohl Lyons

Guys,

Try this:

1. In Finder, navigate to <your username>:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Dreamweaver CS5.
    2. With the Dreamweaver CS5 folder selected, choose File > Get Info (Cmd+I).
    3. If necessary, expand Sharing and Permissions.
    4. Click the lock icon at the bottom right of the panel to make changes. Enter your Mac password when prompted.
    5. Click the plus button at the bottom left of the panel, select your name in the dialog box that opens, and click Select.
    6. Change the privilege for your name to Read & Write.
    7. Click the lock icon to lock the Sharing and Permissions section.

This worked for me

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 6:28 PM   in reply to freicook

Give up.....

Back to CS4.....

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 11:32 AM   in reply to David_Powers

NO it is Adobe who is not cooperating with Apple.

See Steve Jobs' Open letter to Adobe

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

As a web plugin for Mac users Flash is awful. It's slow, it freezes system and it drains CPU for simple tasks.

It is a hindrance and a drain on resources hence why I block it from running with Click to Flash - either that or risk losing all my CPU cycles and drain my battery very quickly if not plugged in.

Flash runs so poorly on my system I installed click to flash to stop it running. Not only does it get rid of horrible banners, ads etc but it also speeds up my entire web browsing experience.

The best option is being able to use quicktime to stream videos on Youtube (although that become slightly buggy since the Youtube update) - CPU usage is at about 15% when using quicktime to stream Youtube as opposed to close to 95% when using flash on Youtube...

Flash doesn't run this poorly on windoze and its about the only thing that doesn't - so I can understand Apple's unwillingness to adopt it - if Adobe could write a suitable version for OS X that might be a different matter.

Hopefully HTML5 will make Flash obsolete anyway and us Mac (and iPhone/iPad) users can experience a smooth working fully animated non 3rd party internet experience

IMHO, Adobe's programmers suck. They took over most of the Macromedia product range, including Freehand, Flash, Dreamweaver, Director - and then proceeded to ruin them all. Maybe all of the current Adobe R & D guys used to work for Microsoft?

They bought CyberStudio turned it into GoLive and proceeded to ruin it as well. Did the same with Freehand when they bought Macromedia. Adobe hasn't really developed anything in house they bought Photoshop  from Tom Knoll, it was packaged with Barney Scan. They bought Aldus got Pagemaker and again ruined it. The only two things I can think of that came from Adobe originally is Postscript Premiere and Illustrator.

Adobe seems to not give a tinkers dam about the Macintosh community, if it wasn't for MacIntosh computers Adobe would be nowhere.

The Mac made Adobe  viable company.

What Apple (and people) have been saying to Adobe for years is improve Flash but Adobe paid no attention.  Adobe just start blaming everyone but themselves for the problems with their products.

Fix the damn problems with Flash.

There needs to be some gleaning at Adobe in management and in programming for leading the company to it's state right now.
    I heard a lot of good folks at Adobe have quit the company lately.

I doubt their current brain-trust at Adobe is capable of creating any great new products. They are just trying to rake in the dough from existing like Flash. Adobe's only money in the their bag of tricks is PhotoShop, the others... well, perhaps After Effects but really, does Adobe really care about it's products or just the money raking in?

Just look at how well Final Cut became the defacto video post production platform when Apple developed it because Adobe refused to make a Premiere for Mac a few years ago. There is no reason to think that Apple isn't prepared should Adobe ever withdraw their CS Suite for Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 10:23 PM   in reply to Vincent^\'^

@vincentjdamico

How the hell did you get Snow Leopard an Intel only OS to work on a G5  PPC MacPro?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 8:18 AM   in reply to freicook

Ok, same problem here. Had problems with Ps CS5 as well.  Adobe reps told me that my user account was corrupt. ha!  I fixed it by un-locking the folders.

Dreamweaver CS5 is a different story.  I tried to unlock the appropriate folder in library/application support/addobe/dreamweaver CS5, but there is no such folder!!!  Any ideas on that one?  anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 5:13 PM   in reply to northerndream

Ok, problem solved.  I had been trying to give myself permission with in library/application support/abobe/dreamweaver CS5, which was not solving to issue.  I finally solved it by going into 'Users', then my account (eventhough I am the admin), then going to library/application support/abobe/dreamweaver CS5.  In that folder I gave myself read right permission for dreamweaver CS5 (Control I, unlocking the folder by clicking the lock in the lower right corner, click the + sign, clicking my name etc...  Post if you need any further help with this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 6:41 PM   in reply to northerndream

1. In Finder, navigate to <your username>:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Dreamweaver CS5.
    2. With the Dreamweaver CS5 folder selected, choose File > Get Info (Cmd+I).
    3. If necessary, expand Sharing and Permissions.
    4. Click the lock icon at the bottom right of the panel to make changes. Enter your Mac password when prompted.
    5. Click the plus button at the bottom left of the panel, select your name in the dialog box that opens, and click Select.
    6. Change the privilege for your name to Read & Write.
    7. Click the lock icon to lock the Sharing and Permissions section.

Didn't work.......

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 7:27 PM   in reply to benny wong

yeah, I've tried everything, nothing works

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 8:14 PM   in reply to benny wong

I don't know if this will make a difference, but next to the + - buttons, there is one that looks like a big asterisk. Click it and select "Apply to Enclosed Items".  Not sure if that will make a difference for you, but things are working for me know.

The main thing I did differently this time was to go into mac hard drive/Users/my account/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5.  Select the Dreamweaver CS5 folder and do the permissions bit.

When I went to the hard drive then directly to the Library, without going into 'Users' first, nothing happened.  The key thing is to do it from "users"

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to northerndream

None of the posted solutions work for me either.

Dreamweaver still fails to launch correctly.

I've changed all the recommended pref/permissions.

I've never used FileVault.

Ive repaired permissions on the disk.

I'm not going to create a separate user just to be able to use Dreamweaver. That is not a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 3:58 PM   in reply to dmntx

It's silly of Adobe to tell people that their user account is courrpt and that they should start a new one.  This problem happens only with a new Adobe product.  If no other application does this, then it is caused by the Adobe product.  Why can't they admit this and do a fix?

dmntx:  make sure that you follow this route: mac harddrive/Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5.

or re-install.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 4:06 PM   in reply to northerndream

And it doesn't happen with the any other apps from CS5 release.

Do you remember the totally screwed up installers from Illustrator 8 & 9 and their updaters that never seem to work properly

They blamed the users back then as well. Looks like ADobe shipped another beta out to their paying customers once again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 4:16 PM   in reply to CB ALYN

i've tried everything and I've given up.  too much trouble for a trial version in my case

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 4:44 PM   in reply to yeahsurelalala

Doesn't give you much confidence in Adobe's programing ability  does it?

You probably won't be parting with your hard earned money to give it to Adobe will you?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 10:18 PM   in reply to CB ALYN

No more Adobe's programs....Now I know why they are not using Adobe.....

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 10:11 AM   in reply to benny wong

The scroll button on my Mighty Mouse doesn't work in Live View

What's with that?

works fine when not in live view

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 12:22 AM   in reply to craigalyn

ADOBE are you listening?

OS X 10.6.3 Build 10D573

CS5 Web Premium

Dreamweaver does not start at all - please reply or get your cheque book out and give me back some of the money I gave you. Macromedia used to be a cool company - Adobe have become a SELL SELL SELL - Microsoft mentality company -

GUESS WHAT ADOBE - when you're under a deadline and you need an answer quick - having support or customer service in a country where your language (English in this case) is not their first language only makes you angrier - are you getting this?

I suggest selling the old Macromedia products to the users who will create an open source suite of apps that work.

Have a nice day.

PS Switching the computer on and off does not work.

PPS I tried removing the coffee holder from the front of my mac but now CDs don't play.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 1:39 AM   in reply to freicook

What OS are you guys using - I am guessing that all the raving and ranting does no good without some sort of feedback in the form of technical data. (I'm a grumpy bugger too).

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 7:50 AM   in reply to JohnTHarrison

As for me:  Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)

Product is Dreamweaver CS5 as part of the Web Design Premium CS5 suite (upgrade).

Installer completed ok; log shows "nil fatal, errors, 10 warnings".

Running product from /Applications via mouse or via terminal gives the same result: it hangs, without even displaying the start-up logo.  It does respond because it can be quit via menu or keystroke.

Tried the two permission setting changes mentioned above (with 'Apply to enclosing folders') to no avail. Tried to re-install from DVD too - nope.

Other CS5 apps work fine (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator).  Dreamweaver CS4 still works (but for me has a bug pasting clipboard text - can only do unformatted text paste which is a POS).

Filed big report with Adobe. Not happy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to otheis

There doesn't seem to be a cohesive support system in place here. I have tried every avenue in the support option only to find yet another brick wall. Talk about the software user basement.

I have tried using all of the support systems on the site - none are relevant. I have tried re-installing - no good. I have tried to change my permissions - no good.

The products that I have bought do not even show up when I'm asked to specify a product that I have bought that may need support.

Sucks

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:28 AM   in reply to otheis

It seems that most of us are using Mac OS X 10.6.3. Are there any P.C. users experiencing similar problems? or does Adobe just not give a %&@ about macs?  or do they feel that a certain failure rate is acceptible and that fixing it would cut into to the profit margin?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to JohnTHarrison

I noticed that there seems to be some talk of FileVault interfering with DW3/4/5

I'd love to know how that came about...I use FileVault and have done since my G3 laptop.   Never have I experienced a problem with it and I've upgraded EVERY MAc system I have ever owned "over the wire" (Firewire, Ethernet) with FileVault enabled.  I find it disconcerting that a user-level application could even begin to cause problems with an OS component.  I know too little about either implementation but surely something like iMovie or Final Cut Pro (which my organisation uses) would be more likely to cause problems with Filevault...and they jolly well don't.

I started comparing permissions in /Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 and CS4 but there's a lot to plough thru. Sadly executing "./Dreamweaver --help" didn't do anything :-)

I got bored and did a fast-user-switch to my "admin" user...and tried our sorry friend. Runs fine :-)

Grrrr..  There's a reason I run w/ a limited user and I'm displeased that Adobe cannot seem to write the same sort of careful code as the rest of the MAc ecosystem.  This will need some checking...you don't happen to know if there's "strace" for Mac OS X?!

cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:40 AM   in reply to northerndream

Educated guess: Mac OS X provides "better" user-role separation than Windows although this appears to be improving on Windows 7.  So I'd say a programmer can "get away" with performing certain operations under a windows environment which might be blocked under a Mac OS X (BSD) environment.  I think the fact that I did just get DW5 to run by swapping to my "admin" user (I normally run myself as a limited user) might bear this out.

So, maybe it's trying (and failing) to escalate privilege in order to do something or calling something a user is not allowed to. I was about to suspect the activation but ..... I noticed that there was net activity out (way to go Little Snitch) but didn't screenshot it sadly.  Will have to re-test and check...but Id suspect the Adobe apps share common components so if it needs to communicate out I'd think they all either can do so or cannot...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to otheis

Just a quick reminder to anyone that hasn't done so: try giving yourself permissions following this route:  mac hard drive/users/your user account/library/application support/adobe/dreamweaver CS5.

Don't go directly into applications or library from the hard drive.  Do it from your user name in a the finder window.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to northerndream

In my case it's definitely a File Vault issue (OS X 10.6.3).  Folder permissions are correct.  As soon as File Vault is disabled I can launch DW CS5.

No problems using DW CS4 with File Vault turned on.

Yes, I have submitted a bug report.  I cannot fathom how this was missed during QA.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:33 AM   in reply to Nevegal

I am currently having the same issue.

Currently running OS X 10.6.2.

User is a network user (home folder on a server). Server is OS X Server 10.6.2.

On launch of Dreamweaver, no launch message appears. Dreamweaver then appears to be running (icon in the dock), but in the top menu bar only the apple and Dreamweaver menu options are available. You can quit Dreamweaver using this menu.

No error messages are appearing in the console.

When logged in as a local administrative user, Dreamweaver opens without any problems.

Giving the network user administrative rights does not solve the problem.

File vault is not turned on.

I have also changed permissions on the various folders mentioned in application support in both the main library folder that resides on the machine (Macintosh HD>Library) and within the user library folder (which in this case actually resides on the server, not on the local machine).

My assumption from all that has been posted (particularly in terms of permissions on a folder in the user's library folder) is that for network users the software is not able to get a path to this folder when it is residing on the server.

Acrobat has a similar problem for network users, which as far as I am aware Adobe has no plans to fix. This was also because of support access to a folder that had permissions problems. This was solved via a folder re-direct on the server (http://www.macsmarts.com/?p=353).

If someone at Adobe can tell me which folder to re-direct. I'm happy to try this to see if it can work (I'm assuming it is the folder mentioned in the user home folder?) - I might try it anyway.

This is the third bit of software that we have installed in the past 6 months that has a problem like this. Given that a network system of this type is fairly commonplace, it is a bit disappointing that this architecture seems to be un-supported.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to GFudge

This is not an Apple/Adobe issue. This is an Adobe/Adobe Customer issue.

I have paid a substantial upgrade price for my CS5 Software Suite, and it's not unreasonable to expect the software to work as advertised.

The fact is that Dreamweaver CS5 works if you DO NOT have FileVault turned on and will NOT work if you have FileVault turned on. And, it's not that Adobe programs can't work with FileVault turned on...All the other CS5 programs work fine, and all the CS4 program work fine including Dreamweaver CS4.

Adobe, it's time to fix the problem...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:46 AM   in reply to Disc Dogger

Has there been any official/un-official response by anyone at Adobe regarding this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to Nevegal

I've tried a folder re-direct from the server with regard to the Users>[user name]>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Dreamweaver CS5 folder.

The folder re-direct is working (the folder now resides in the Users>Shared folder on the hard drive of the local machine, with an alias in the user home folder). However, Dreamweaver is still displaying the same behaviour as previously.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 10:38 AM   in reply to GFudge

Now that Adobe has shipped the pre-orders and is getting further into the ordering and shipping of this Dw CS5, the complaints on this are going to turn into a deluge.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 7:37 PM   in reply to northerndream

We are attempting to find the root cause of these issues and get documentation posted for our customers.  We have create a techdoc for this issue.  For information, please see "Nothing happens when launching Dreamweaver CS5 on Mac" (cpsid_84413).

The solutions posted are known to fix this issue.  There are additional solutions in this forum post we are attempting to verify.  We will continue to update the techdoc as new solutions are confirmed as quickly as possible.  If the information does not resolve your issue, please post comments to the techdoc.

I am truly sorry we haven't fully isolated this issue yet.  Hopefully we can find all of the solutions to this issue soon.

David Johnson

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points