Skip navigation

CS5 system requirements

Apr 17, 2010 1:24 PM

Latest reply: Bob Levine, Feb 9, 2012 6:53 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2010 1:09 PM   in reply to Angelesp

No thanks. I have a nice fast Quad Core machine, 8 gigs of RAM, 1 TB RAID that I built myself about 2 years ago. Upgraded to Win 7 64 bit and it runs CS3 CS4 and CS5 very nicely. Total cost...about $1,200.

Waiting on my copy of CS5 for the MacBook.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 1:20 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Wow sounds like a RED FERARIE!! Lucky you that you know how to build computers. I am all about Creative and

I don't have that kind of brain.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 1:54 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

I would like to personally thank you Dov for an informative and balanced reply that tried to make sense of Adobe's decision in regards to the system OS requirements for CS5. The response was calm, polite, and well thought out. I appreciate your reply even though it does not solve my problems with the system requirements. I will get the necessary components when possible and see how it all works out so that I continue to use the CS Suite software arsenal that is so important to my work and livelihood. I certainly hope that Adobe and Apple can continue to work together in the future, because I think that type of partnering and innovation is important to everyone. regardless of what the Micro$oft evangelists want to constantly imply about how destructive Apple is. The desktop/printing Revolution that was borne out of Adobe and Apple's early pioneering efforts way back when was the envy of everyone and the almighty Bill Gates empire never came close...

Once again Thank you Dov!

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 4:15 PM   in reply to Angelesp

So what is so terrible about sticking with CS4 until you get a job and can eventually upgrade to an Intel Mac and CS5. A Intel based iMac is far faster then the old G5. You don't have to pop all the way for a Mac Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 12:30 PM   in reply to Donny_M

I have a Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Intel Xeon, 9GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1900 XT. When I saw some of the posts( veneddie being one) I

was worried the I hadn't researched CS5 enough. I have just installed snow leopard upgrade from Tiger. Runs really well.

I have also installed and use most of the creative suite and all seems to be running well. I am absolutely no tecky, so I can,t advise

why my systems seems to be working and other seem to have problem.. just an observation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 12:32 PM   in reply to Andrew Roberts

If you did an inplace O/S upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard consider yourself lucky. It pretty much killed my MacBook and I had to blow the whole thing out and start with a clean harddrive.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 12:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I upgraded from Tiger. Don't get me worried Bob.. I am not the type who finds

it easy to dig myself out of 'tecky' holes?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 1:27 PM   in reply to Andrew Roberts

In that case, you're really lucky. As long as everything works, I'm happy for you. But I'll never fall into that upgrade trap again.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 2:34 PM   in reply to Donny_M

Wasn't the last Mac G5 tower discontinued in 8/2006 and first Intel tower introduced the same month?

Most computers are easily written off in four years. Plus a used 2-3 year old Mac Pro would be a really good deal.

Now seems like a good time to offer a Creative Suite for Intel only, and it's a good match for Snow Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 1:07 PM   in reply to Donny_M

Yeah after 25 years in the business, Apple and Adobe suck. I'd stick with CS4 cause I don't need all the functionality gizmos to make money...the problem is you have to stay compatible with customers who have the IT budgets to get all the expensive software and hardware upgrades every three years! These two "green" companies have contributed to the waste on this planet for the last 30 years. They create products to exploit the planned obsolescence business model to the max! Shame on you two companies...Intel and microsoft are lookin like the good guys to me. I switched about 10 years ago after being a "loyal--read idiot" customer of Apple's for 20 years. The new glowing consumers are not trying to make a real living using their shiny Apple products. They are overpriced and closed architecture...easy to use if you like big brother Jobs forcing you to buy, buy, buy. I just bought a used mac (I refuse to pay twice as much for a new computer as a PC can be had for) and it's 5 years old, works great, but now your idiot software won't work on it....Instead of buying CS5, I'm going to buy a great PC(used) and install my other copy of CS4 and be done with your dirty tactics. You just lost a sale of $600. I hope you're happy!

Adobe+Apple = Gross Polluters

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 2:44 PM   in reply to moreidea265

I have Tiger still. I am a very busy design student and have not upgraded yet. I was going to purchase the CS5 Master Collection. I have a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and Version 10.4.11. I am not going to buy a new MacBook Pro or computer to use that program. I have had it since 2008. So, if I can not use it, Adobe just lost almost $1000 right there. I am sure I am not the only one, either that has Tiger and a older Mac. Especially with the economy being really bad, its not a good decision to lose money. A lot of other companies have suffered from the economy. No one is protected. The only reason why I was going to upgrade was because I am going to be graduating soon and that would most likely be the last time I would buy Adobe products again since I had to use it in school.

But, now I will be looking for other programs that are more user-friendly, cheaper and take less time to get my work done. Now I see why some people are not loyal to companies due to these tactics.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:13 PM   in reply to Donny_M

I'm not sure if this has been answered or not as this forum is getting long. Has Adobe thought about the possibility of still selling CS4 so that the many owners of a PowerPC based computer can at least upgrade from CS3? I have many clients that have not upgraded from CS3 and because of that I know they are still using a PowerPC.

I too was not told about the requirements when I ordered 3 copies but I at least have 3 of of 7 computers that can run the new software. What this tells me is that I now have to look at replacing 4 computers which until today can handle all of our customers needs.

A smart move on the behalf of Adobe and Apple and at the same time the potential of killing smaller business' along the way who can not upgrade do to reduced budgets.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 12:53 PM   in reply to Sheldon B Apache

Software upgrades that require hardware upgrades are an expensive combination. I've groaned about upgrades, too, but I'm usually quite pleased after I've made the leap. Unfortunately, the new Mac Pro prices, limited RAM slot configurations and video card issues make purchase choices a bit harder (and somewhat more expensive).

I need to replace my "vintage" PowerPC G5 with a Mac Pro (I need the expandability slots, so no iMac for me). I will upgrade from CS4 to CS5, and mostly use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign & Acrobat. I also do a bit of 3D work with Maxon Cinema 4D, and audio work with ProTools. I'm waiting to see how compatible the new Mac Pro machines will be with these apps, and some performance benchmarks to decide between the 6 core and other models. Does anyone know if Adobe will do any testing on these machines when they are available?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 7:10 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

BobLevine wrote:

Even Apple isn't supporting PPC anymore. This isn't news.

Adobe made this annoucement about a year ago.

Bob

BS on Apple Supporting the PPC, there's still system software support and updates (and often).   Yeah, the future of Apple computers is Intel (and I'm glad - the PPC processor had run its course), but they did have a very long time of system software running on both platforms on both the PPC & Intel, until Snow Leopard.  I would say Apple kept its system software backwards compatible until Leopard when it dropped Classic (OS 9) support, and that was a LONG time in computer years.

I have a question, you probably can't answer it but maybe someone here can.  I have CS5 on my MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard 10.6.3) and CS4 on my PPC G5 Dual 1.8 GHz (Leopard 10.5.8).  Why can't I open CS5 (such as an InDesign file) into CS4?  Now that a case of not being backwards compatible!  I have read how to save the CS5 file so CS4 can open it, so there is a workaround.

I DO understand why I think Adobe made CS5 Intel only, had to be done to keep up with the progress.  Just wish the files created CS5 were easier to port to CS4/PPC.  Yeah, I know I should upgrade the G5 to a MacPro, but one toy every six months or so; must save a bit.  <g>

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 8:06 PM   in reply to golf25radioman

InDesign has been using a separate file format to export to older versions since version 2.0 if my memory serves. FrameMaker, another Adobe DTP product, does the same thing. I can only assume it is easier for them to support the new features in the newer version by allowing themselves the luxury of creating new file formats. It would be great if Adobe created a new file format that could handle any new feature they could ever think of, but that is unlikely in a company that has trouble creating installer and updater/patching software.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 4:58 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

InDesign CS5 "saves" back to CS4 through the export of IDML. Don't expect perfection depending upon the feature you used in CS5.

InDesign has been able to go back one version since CS2 to CS. Prior to that there was no way to save back.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to golf25radioman

golf25radioman wrote:

BS on Apple Supporting the PPC, there's still system software support and updates (and often).

When you can get Snow Leopard installed on that machine come on back and tell me I'm wrong.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

BobLevine wrote:

golf25radioman wrote:

BS on Apple Supporting the PPC, there's still system software support and updates (and often).

When you can get Snow Leopard installed on that machine come on back and tell me I'm wrong.

Bob

Why do I need Snow Leopard when I have Leopard 10.5.8 on my G5?  And I get system updates, Security updates, etc. for it.  So is that support or not?  But if you are splitting hairs about whether or not the PPC can have 10.6 installed, then yes it can't but so what?  The G5 still does what I need and until I can get a Mac Pro it still will.  My reason for even coming to the Adobe boards was for help with CS5 InDesign files and my CS4 on my PPC.  I got my answer on how to do that.  So I see no further purpose in continuing your slam on this subject.

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 10:53 AM   in reply to golf25radioman

The point is that Apple itself has stop developing new software and operating systems for the PPC platform. And so, too has Adobe.

As for my slam, it was an answer to yours.

I'm glad you got the saving back in InDesign sorted.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 11:05 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

BobLevine wrote:

The point is that Apple itself has stop developing new software and operating systems for the PPC platform. And so, too has Adobe.

As for my slam, it was an answer to yours.

I'm glad you got the saving back in InDesign sorted.

Bob

Point taken.  Time moves on, and in the computer world it moves even faster.  If one wants the latest/greatest/fastest they will be unhappy because of how the speed, etc., moves along.  There is a theory I saw on a Science Channel about the rate of processing power, don't remember the year-rate.  But it is fast.

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2010 8:06 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob, With well over 12,000 post here you do spend some time here. It could just be that those pissed off people at Apple, Adobe  and even the PC makers are just not camping out on the Adobe forums.

DOV made some really salient points about testing releases across multiple platforms and hardware configurations. There are quite a few people that are pissed about the movement towards new and replace rather than the model of build upon the past. being dismissive towards those that are indeed working professionals, with issues with their hardware and software while ALSO staying current in their actual profession, be that as a designer, illustrator, or photographer, is just going to piss people off even more.

One doesn't have to live on the bloody cutting edge of our industry to get covered in blood; the spatter travels quite far. Those pissed off may have just resigned themselves to having to deal with it. Perhaps, like in the real world of politics - Dem/Rep/ Tea Party/ Green party, a user group will rise up and say enough!  But I really don't see that happening as the advantage seeking free market will pit itself against those interest.

I have machines running XP, Vista 32, 64, Win7 and even a few Macs.

Cibgraphics it could be that people are mad because unlike a hammer made in 1970 or before, our tools become obsolete before we even really get to know them, use them and profit from them. And at the same time, we all need to realize that stills are not the same as moving pictures (video) and require vastly more powerful units. That is where this industry is going.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2011 8:29 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

I have just replaced my PowerPC G5 1.1 with a Mac Pro. Excitement aside, do you know where I can find a buyer for my G5?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 12:44 PM   in reply to cadmiumyellow

Some would advise eBay, but you won't get much for it - sadly.  If you had bought your MacPro from PowerMax (.com) they do offer a trade-in but it is for credit towards a purchase.  They do seem to be much fairer (is that a word?) than eBay when it comes to value for a used computer.  It's a sad thing to see how much our "toys" depreciate.

I will have to do with my G5 for a while as a desktop.  It still does quite well, but has become more of my home network server than my everyday computer.  That duty has been taken over by my new MacBook Pro i7 2.66.  Just cannot get $3K+ into my budget for a MacPro right now. 

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 5:57 PM   in reply to Donny_M

Hey Donny, it has been a year since you posted this and I have to ask. If you did upgrade to the CS5 and a new Mac platform, have you bettered your work in any way?

Only I ask this because I too have experienced the hop, skip and jump to keep up with every CS update, but on reflection I couldn't say I have improved the quality/creativity of my work any great deal. I'm in corporate print design mostly, along with dynamic websites, html emails and so forth. Maybe I don't do anything overly fancy or use the each of the CS programs functions 100%, but the job gets done just same and in the same time basically on CS3 as it does for the latest CS I use in the office on Intel Macs. On weekends I revert back to CS3 on a lesser Mac PowerPC and still find I can get jobs of equal complexity done.

I'm getting bored now with the pace and this consumerism. I wonder how many out there are over having to subscribe to this show.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 9:54 PM   in reply to Donny_M

Yes it has, I agree with you, thanks Donny.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 7:55 PM   in reply to Donny_M

I read this whole thread and it was quite educating and entertaining.

I'm actually typing this on a G5 Dual core PPC that was given to me gratis by a College, because they had 100+ of them stacked up in a tiny tech office to dispose of after an upgrade to Intel-based G5s. They had pretty much saturated any charities or other donor locations with them and were looking for other places to "dispose" of them. Multiply that by "x" numbers of Universities, Colleges & Industries upgrading and disposing of the entire "box", when really all that was needed was a motherboard (mainboard) & processor to give them many years more service.

It's really unfortunate that Apple couldn't/wouldn't supply a motherboard & processor for the PPC G5 cases, such as is easily and readily available for almost all desktop PCs. It would have saved many many people lots of dollars and upgrade costs.

That's basically the only thing that would have been needed to upgrade the G5 machines, and it's a 30-45 minute job to swap it out. Hopefully, those silver  "boxes" all ended up as file/media/music servers or Word Processors / office machines and not in landfill sites.

The bottom line is that it would have affected Apple's bottom line and it's in their best interest to not have upgradeable hardware.
    PC's still give the best bang for the buck and have a longer lifeline. but they don't have the "glamour/status" factor that the Apple Logo has. It's like having sports equipment with a Nike "swoosh" on it ...

P.S. my monitor is sitting on an older Mac Titanium PowerBook Pro 'cause it lifts it up a few extra inches 

(the battery is kaput and the laptop is worth less than a new battery)

P.P.S. I also went through a huge amount of research to see if the G5 PPC was upgradeable with or without hacks to no avail and ended up building a Quad Core Intel PC with the intent of making it a Win7/OSX Hackintosh machine but stayed with using the G5 PPC for Mac CS4 stuff & Win 7 for CS5 stuff and transferring files via network which makes the Mac/PC "war" thing a moot point as "Hi, I'm a Mac" and "Hi!, I'm a PC" becomes "Hi! I'm a computer"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to Donny_M

I have just paid for a CS5.5 Indesign upgrade on my Mac OSx 10.6.7 that is running Snow Leopard and it apparently is not supported on this type of Mac.  The processor is a 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo.  Why is it not working????

HELP

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2011 6:05 AM   in reply to Westham66

Here are the system requirements:

• Multicore Intel processor
    • Mac OS X v10.5.8 or v10.6
    • 1GB of RAM or more recommended
    • 8.2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
    • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
    • Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
    • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs
    • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for multimedia features
    • Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF files
    • Broadband Internet connection required for online services and to validate Subscription Edition (if applicable) on an ongoing b

Do you meet those requirements?

What happens when you try to install?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to Donny_M

Wondering what people would recommend for a desktop build to properly run cs5.5 including motherboard, graphics and version of operating system. Would ideally like to add the Matrox max board to speed up the outputting. Are there known issues with this type of configuration.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to georget13

CS5.5 WHAT? Big difference in the demands for programs like Dreamweaver and Firworks for web graphics and such as opposed to video apps in the Production Premium.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

what do you recommend for running after effects and priemere pro?

thanks

George T

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to georget13

I don’t know since I don’t use either one.

You will get a lot more advice in the AE and PP forums, though. Why not post there?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points