Skip navigation
[ R O N E ]
Currently Being Moderated

Pixel Preview CS4 vs CS5- needs anti-aliasing for BMPs

May 4, 2010 5:30 PM

I can't find a solution for this problem anywhere...

In CS4 I could turn on pixel preview to view placed bmps so they didn't have that horrible 1-bit look to them. but this no longer works the same in CS5, it no longer smothes them out like it used to.

Does anyone one know if there is way around this other then exporting a jpg?

PIXELPREVIEW.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2010 3:20 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

It looks like CS5 is doing the right display. 1-bit images comprise of solid black and solid white pixels and do not have any grayscale information. What was happening in CS4 was a pseudo conversion of 1-bit into Grayscale for display only in the Pixel Preview, mismatching the actual content. Now, in CS5, 1-bit image is shown as 1-bit, both in Preview as well as in Pixel Preview.

Definitely this is a change from from CS4, but atleast correct in nature.

- Neeraj

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 4:19 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

To get to the smooth look, here is something you may want to try.

1)  Select the 1-bit image

2)  Object > Rasterize as 'Grayscale' (from Color Model dropdown)

3)  Select the image once again and then apply Blur to it (Effect > Blur > Gaussian Blur)

4)  Now do an Exand Appearance (Object > Expand Appearance)

You may have to experiment with the PPI while rasterizing, and picking the right value of Blur.

Hope this helps!

- Neeraj

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 8:22 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

this is a devastating problem for me....I use pixel preview to view bitmap tifs in illustrator.

I do not want to start blurring in illustrator, that defeats the purpose of importing perfect photoshop files.

Adobe, please help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 10:54 AM   in reply to shawnkhemsurov

I don't see much of a difference from CS 5 and CS 4

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 12:30 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

@ RONE, @ shawnkhemsurov

There is a trick if you want to keep the 1-bit raster intact, and still want to have a blurry view of it. It requires some planned working though.

- Select the 1-bit image
    - Apply the Live Effect > Rasterize (Grayscale)
    - Over that apply the Live Effect > Gaussian Blur

When you're ready to go for output, remove these two Live Effects from the 1-bit rasters.

@ Wade

You would notice a difference while viewing 1-bit raters in Pixel Preview mode (between CS5 and older versions).

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:06 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

Could you please explain the arrangement of objects in this case. Like, is the 1-bit image transparent and whether the object beneath is a raster or vector. It would be nice if you could share a file.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:32 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

Thanks. I saw the file.

As I had mentioned earlier, try applying the [Live Effect > Gaussian Blur] after you've applied the [Live Effect > Rasterize]. That cuts down a lot of noise. See if that helps. But remember to take these two effects out, when you're ready to send the files for output.

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 2:33 AM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

You may want to save the combination of the two Live Effects (Rasterize and Gaussian Blur) as a Graphic Style, and apply on the rasters while working. When you're done, just click on the button  (circle with diagonal line) in lower part of Appearance Panel, that reads 'Clear Appearance'.

Hope that helps!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 5:05 AM   in reply to Neeraj N-LscgRS

I see I was not reading this correctly and see the problem now. Thanks!

This would simply appear to be a bug and it should be reported.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 11:06 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I reported the bug and called adobe support, who took around 30 minutes to pick up, then another 30 on the phone, then connection (in India) was lost when he put me on hold and never came back.  They have my phone number and still no call back.

Adobe support is awful and I don't have all day to waste on the phones with them....I hope they see the bug report and figure it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 5:36 PM   in reply to shawnkhemsurov

I don't quite understand why this topic is marked as answered. It should be marked as Answered but not solved.

This is an apalling oversight on Adobe's part. I use 1bit BMP tiffs heavily in my work and now after all the hassle of installing and setting up my system I'm going to have to go back to using CS4.

If you are using halftones or 1bit texutres it makes it almost impossible to view your work.

See example here. http://twitpic.com/1ve59o/full

This doesnt come close to capturing the scope of the problem.

Sure, the rasterise / blur solution works in a punishing, workflow slowing, ram destroying kind of way but it's a massive hassle compared to the old solution of previewing 1bit images with just one step (pixel preview).

Recolouring these blurred and rasterised images then becomes a massive ordeal in iteself as does moving them around on the page. My 8gb of ram is struggling though it.

Hopefully they sort this out soon with an update. Something along the lines of 1bit image preview would be nice.

Urrrgggghhhh.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:11 PM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

This is a HUGE issue for everyone that works with 1-bit images –t-shirt and textile designers, screenprint artists, printmakers, etc.– The answer given kind of works but it is too sluggish.  Everyone I've asked so far has gone back to CS4 or CS3 - no artboards :-( 

I'm doing the same until a new view mode is added.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to alejo_skaen

Such a bummer!

How are you man?

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 2:12 PM   in reply to shawnkhemsurov

I don't even know if the right people at Adobe will ever see this or they will even care about it.  Most people don't bother to post or call them and they probably think this is just a few people affected.  Cheers Shawn!  enjoy CS4 forever :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to alejo_skaen

I called them and it didt work, gonna write a letter to them when I get back from vacation...program costs a lot of money ya know!?

Haha

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 2:19 PM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

This sucks.  Still no fix.  It's gotta be an issue with the new algorithms for web pixel alignment.  Who knows. It's really a pain paying for CS5 and having to work in CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to Dan McCall

I wrote a letter to Adobe and received a call.... they said it would be fixed in an update but had no ETA.

Let's cross our fingers an update will fix, but it's still kind of pathetic that it's taking this long.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2011 11:57 PM   in reply to [ R O N E ]

has there been a resolution to this problem. I just upgraded to CS5... money is tight didn't didn't need a piece of software I can't use!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points