Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No GPU Acceleration or MPE benefit (FX3800)

May 4, 2010 3:49 PM

Yikes

Installed CS5  (Full Paid Version) yesterday.  Shaking it down today.

Everything is working at light speed except.....

I do not get any GPU Acceleration or MPE benefit from the QUADRO FX3800 (or PPRO).

As soon as I apply any GPU accelerated  effect (eg Ultra, Levels etc...) .

or Scale down a P in P - I get a RED RENDER BAR

This is a minimal sequence with  Vid 1 :color bars,  Vid 2: mxf 720p green screen scene, Vid 3: 720p mxf for PNP

Thought it was the Driver - updated to latest  (NVIDIA 8.17.11.9759 - 16/4/2010)

Did not resolve it!

Flicked between Hardware and Software acceleration - no difference.

Any suggestions from the team ?

Intel Core I7 930 2.8 GHz - Socket 1366 (8MB L3 cache)

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 1366  DDR3 - Sata II Raid Express Gate SLI +CrossfireX 2xGB Lan 8 Channel Sound 2 x 1394a ATX Motherboard

Corsair1600 6GB Triple Channel Kit (6x2GB)  12GB

LEADTEK FX3800 NVIDIA QUADRO graphics card

Western Digital  300GB SATA2 Velociraptor HD (10,000rpm) - system drive

plus 3 x 1 TB HDDS - space for 5 more internals

24x DVD/CD  BENQ

Antec P183 Advanced Black Super MidTower (3 x variable speed fans)

550 w PSU

BENQ M2700HD Widescreen LCD  27 inch Monitor / 2ms / 50,000:1 Contrast

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2010 4:03 PM   in reply to shooternz

You beat me to the punch...I was just about to say I bet you are using non accelerated effects.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 4:04 PM   in reply to shooternz

I was just trying to dup the problem.  I was wondering if there might be a bug with the synthetic clips.  After I failed to duplicate it I saw you found the problem.   Thats good news.    Hey if you get bored of that system; Ill take it off your hands.   Mine needs upgrading!

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 4:07 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

You had me worried, as I was looking at the Quadro FX 3800, as my old FX-4500 missed the cut.

Glad that things are looking up. Time to break out the Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc!

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 4:17 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

It's still en expensive card for only three layers.  The GTX285 does three layers for a lot less money.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 5:07 PM   in reply to shooternz

Not confused.  The three layer limit was stated in another thread.  I'm glad to hear it was wrong.

How are you planning on running your monitors with only one output?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to shooternz

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 5:36 PM   in reply to shooternz

My bad...I didn't see the adapters.

I wish the poster who said this card had a three stream limit would have been more accurate.  I would have put up the extra 300.00 over the GTX285.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 6:11 PM   in reply to tclark513

It seems that at least one such poster has been called to task for similar comments in another thread.

What we need at this point in time is information, and not mis-information.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:37 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I was the one who posted it because that is what our Nvidia rep said. He said the Quadro 3800 would have the same

3 layer limit as the 285GTX due to the 1GB ram on both cards. If that is incorrect then the information they gave me was incorrect.

BTW I will forward them this thread and ask them why they informed me otherwise. Thank you for the heads up.

Oh one last thing. Nvidia and Adobe stated the limiter was put in place because of the 1GB Frame buffer size limited performance in CS5 and they could  only ensure performance with effect for 3 layers. If the Quadro FX 3800 is unlimited then that is completely false. Since the Quadro FX 3800 has a 260GPU in it and has 1/3 the ram bandwidth of a 285GTX then how does 1GB on the 285GTX require the limiter but the 1 GB Quadro card does not. This means Adobe is completely working with Nvidia to sell more Quadro FX cards and the limiter is a completely dishonest way to do it.

Note - After checking my email and speaking with my Adobe rep I changed the post. It was only our Nvidia rep that reported the limiter on both.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 3:43 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Since I can't post what I have discovered in regards to the limiter or what I have been told, I can ask a question. People who have the 285GTX, please comment on your experiences or feedback with the limiter positive or negative. I will forward them to the appropriate parties.

Please post your responses in a new thread I created

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/636642?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 9:21 AM   in reply to shooternz

Hey shooternz - Are you running your preview monitor off the third output?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to jssink

The quadro 3800 can only utilise 2 out of the 3 ports at the same time. So if you want to run two monitors for the program and a third for a preview monitor then you need two 3800s installed, unless there is another solution. Especially now that firewire preview isn't working with MPE yet....

I have two quadro 3800s installed and can preview off the second card.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 3:53 AM   in reply to shooternz

Not sure if that would work, i would imagine that two different cards would cause a problem, worth a try if you can borrow one... I have an sli connector connecting the 2 cards but no sli option in the control panel.

I don't think i'm getting any performance increase, although i haven't tested properly yet. Perhaps its just using the extra card to display the results of what the first card is doing?

According to nvidia the card is sli capable, but I've not found anyone who has successfully set this up yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 8:28 AM   in reply to shooternz
    After a bit more testing I'm not sure whether you need the  secondary card to be the same as your primary CUDA one. This should  work with any decent secondary graphics card on a suitable workstation  (I think!).

My  primary FX3800 card outputs to one monitor for the program and one  preview out (via a dvi/vga to s-video converter box) to my CRT broadcast  monitor.

Then my secondary card outputs my second monitor display  for my dual screen setup. essentially its a three screen setup as my  crt is always displaying part of my desktop until Premiere previews  through it. This is actually more useful for me as it gets more use than  previously through firewire, As I can make use of it when not using  Premiere or AE.

Then If I need to export to tape I'll have to  switch to software renderer but hopefully that will change in the  future.

Initially  I tried to preview out to my CRT through my secondary FX3800 but I found I was  dropping frames (on the CRT monitor not the program monitor) so I  assume that MPE is only working on the primary card as theres no sli  support for this card on my system.

So far so good and haven't run into any problems (yet!)

(this is edited from a post i made in a similar thread on the MPE)

Hope this helps although unfortunately I can't test it with mismatched cards.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points