• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe installer "failed to initialize" error.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying without success for 2 days to install the tr

ial version of Flash Builder 4 but cannot get past the following erro

r - displayed affter launching the Set-up.exe in the Adobe flash Builder 4 Standalone folder.

The following information is showing the PDApp.log file:

4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] Setup - Build Version - 1.0.172.0
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] Setup - Logging Level verbosity Set  to 4
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] Setup - Start Adobe Setup
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] Setup - TimeLog: Bootstrapper Start
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] Setup - TimeLog: Start initial checks
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] Setup - Dictionary Path: C:\Documents and Settings\SW102124\My Documents\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4 Standalone\resources\Dictionary\en_US\stringTable.zdct
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [INFO] PIM - Trying to access xml at path:C:\Documents and Settings\SW102124\My Documents\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4 Standalone\resources\setup.xml
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [FATAL] PIM - Failed to Create XML instance : DOMDocument40 ADXML::initWithXMLPath Error:80040154
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [FATAL] Setup - Could not initialize ADXML object
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [FATAL] Setup - Unable to initialize. Error parsing setup.xml file
4/21/2010 15:38:09 [WARN] Setup - Reboot is pending from earlier installation.
4/21/2010 15:41:05 [INFO] Setup - End Adobe Setup. Exit code: 0

I am running XP service pack 2.

I have installed and continue to use Flex Builder 3.

Also running fully licensed copies of MS Vis Sudio 2005 and 2008, Adobe Master Collection CS4 and CS3; also trial version of WebOrb - all of which are working fine.

I have been running the setup/install using an account with admin rights

I have tried installing after booting up in Safe mode - doesn't help

I have confirmed that my account has full control over all the folders/files in the installation package

I have tried the install with virus protection turned off, and have tried right click>Run As> Current user - with "Protect my computer..." unchecked.

I suspect that I am either missing a dll or a dll needs to be registered - most likely the one required for opening and parsing the setup.xml file shown in the error log above, however, I have no idea which dll(s) are implicated.

Any help will be very gratefully received!

TOPICS
Installation and activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

It seems that a particular dll which is missing or corrupted on your machine. I would suggest you try to repair your installation of Windows XP with the windows install CD and then try to install Flash Builder.

Let me know if this fixes your problem. In case it does not then do post the PDApp.log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

You could try installing the MSXML Service Pack 7 posted on Microsoft website. In my previous post, the attempt was to ensure that MSXML was properly installed on your machine by trying to repair the Windows installation - however this would be a time consuming exercise and I would suggest you try this alternative. Details below -

1) Go to the webpage -  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&displaylang=en

2) Scroll down and click on the Download button next to msxml3.msi (size 1 MB). Its a small file and will take a few moments to download.

3) Double click this file to launch the installer for MSXML.

4) Follow the screen instructions and the installer should finish in a few seconds.

5) Try installing the Flash Builder.

Do post your observations and let me know if this fixes your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ritesh,

Your suggestions sound promising, but unfortunately the state of my laptop deteriorated so much I had to start again from scratch - i.e. reinstall the OS and all apps so I never had chance to try out your solution.

Many thanks anyway.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Could you confirm whether after you reinstalled your OS if you were able to install Flash Builder 4 successfully?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the re-install of Windows XP + MS Visual Studio 2005, the install of Flash Builder 4 went smoothly. I still wonder why things went so pear-shaped. Before I re-imaged my PC I used the inbuilt Windows system restore to restore the state of my laptop to an earlier time (-1 month). After doing that I was able to install Flash Builder 4, but it created probelms for the Flash Player and for Visual Studio (not sure why because they have been installed, unchanged for 2+ years).

Interestingly, the only app I had installed between the date of the restore point I went back to and the current date was the MS Silverlight SDK (and dependencies). Could it be that there is something in the Silverlight install that "Accidently" sabotages the Flash Builder install?

It would be interesting to see if other users have had a similar experience installing these two producs one after the other???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this Chris. I'll try to dig deeper in this issue and try to corner down the exact problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your temp directory and remove all the temporary files. Then retry the install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2011 Nov 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error occurred on my laptop! Here is my workaround:

Change the computer's clock to the correct time!

I hope this help eveyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this clock correction suggestion.  I had borrowed someones pc which displayed the date 01/01/2007.  I was racking my brain with this Flash download problem and didn't fancy the detailed work around suggested by others.  I corrected the date and the download completed properly.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome!

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:49:51 -0600

To: onsiteconsultant@hotmail.com

Subject: Adobe installer "failed to initialize" error.

Re: Adobe installer "failed to initialize" error.

created by Purpleultra in Installing and activating Flash Builder - View the full discussion

Thanks for this clock correction suggestion. I had borrowed someones pc which displayed the date 01/01/2007. I was racking my brain with this Flash download problem and didn't fancy the detailed work around suggested by others. I corrected the date and the download completed properly. Thanks again.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Installing and activating Flash Builder by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines