Skip navigation
Jasta09
Currently Being Moderated

RH 8 - Slow Performance

Jan 29, 2010 7:42 AM

RoboHelp 8.0.2

I am test upgrading a project from X5 to 8.0.2. The project has been around for 6+ years, updated regularly, and is quite large (1,000s of topics and images). The majority of these files are in the root folder.

When I upgrade the project, RoboHelp 8 runs very slow. I can out-type the editor, and it is slow to move around the topic list and project manager. Basically, it is much slower performing any task. I am trying to create some folders to move topics into, but it is taking some time just to create the folders.

I have test upgraded a smaller project and it doesn't have this issue. However, it is much smaller and the project was create about a year ago. Anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing RH to run slow and how I can increase performance? I work on this project on a daily basis, so this performance issue will have a significant impact.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to Jasta09

If the project is on a network, move it to a local drive.

If it is on the local drive, try closing the project, renaming the CPD and reopening.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2010 9:15 AM   in reply to Jasta09

The fact that new projects don't have this issue suggests it is project related. Old code shouldn't be an issue. How big is the project? Are there lots of images, dropdowns or other interactive elements. Also do you have access to RH8 on another PC? Does the same happen there?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
    • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 7:43 AM   in reply to Jasta09

Not sure what to advise. I typically limit projects to 4/5000 topics as that is where on a previous PC I found performance issues kicked in, not to the degree you cite but noticeable. That was with X3 though so my thinking is that you should be seeing the same performance with your RH8 version as you did with X5. In any case you are within that figure.

The next likely cause would be a bloated CPD but you say you trashed that.

The number of images is high and I have seen that cause problems with projects where the number of topics is within the figures above. Again though that was with a higher number of images.

I think what I would do now is create some copies of the project and then trash a different half of the topics. Any difference between the two? Maybe split again. The idea is to see whether the chunks start to show differences or a level at which they all perform better. After trashing the topics, close the chunks and delete the CPDs before reopening and testing so that you always work with a clean CPD. You can get RH to do this for you by turning on the option to clear the cache in Tools > Options.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 1:19 PM   in reply to Jasta09

1,000s of topics and images. The majority of these files are in the root folder.

Looking again I suspect that is part of your problem.

Put most of your topics and images in a folder structure and I think it will improve things.

Thousands of files in one folder is bad for any product.

If you throw paper files in a skip, see how long it takes to find them. Put them in a cabinet with labelled folders and you can go straight to what you want. It's no different.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to Jasta09

You got yourself into this one.

Sorry but that is the only way, drag and drop the topics and drag and drop the images.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to Jasta09

Sounds like you are stuck with the method.

Folder structure is just something logical to what you are doing. In our case we sort of mirror the application menu structure in most cases.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to Jasta09

Isn't this where we came in? You reported slow performance which was a known problem until the first patch was released. After that there have been no reports of people still having the problem and I thought we concluded that was because of the structure of your project, or lack of to be more precise.

Prior to patch two, a flickering cursor was a sign of trouble but first you have that patch and second it occurred on opening a project rather than after working on it.

The only other thing that occurs to me is you say this occurs after working for a long period. Are you working with a serious number of topics open and are you saving regularly. You are automatically trashing the CPD so that should help.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 10:57 PM   in reply to Jasta09

Check that Help > About shows 802 and check in Add/Remove or Program Features that the 802 patch is showing there. Do both, not just one.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 8:56 AM   in reply to Jasta09

Hi Jasta09,

I assusme that you have already installed RH 8.0.2 update and then also you are facing this issue. If this is the case, is it possible for you to share your project with us so that we can reproduce this at our end and try to find out the root cause of this issue?

Thanks and regards,

Piyush Bhatnagar

Adobe Technical Support

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 2:30 PM   in reply to Jasta09

Just wondered if you had noted that Piyush is not another user like myself but a senior person within Adobe Support? You would be sending the project direct to Adobe and no one else would have access to it.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 10:30 AM   in reply to Jasta09

Hi Jennifer,

You can send me a mail at pibhatna (at) adobe.com

Thanks and regards,

Piyush Bhatnagar

Technical Support Engineer

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 3:33 PM   in reply to Piyush Bhatnagar

Today I opened a RoboHelp 8 project (In Nov 2009 I had converted it from RoboHelp x5 to 8). Today, once the project opened, on the RoboHelp desktop, the hourglass kept appearing, and the application was slow. (Note: My project also has many topics and images.) This project survived the Nov 2009 bug and all the related fixes. I haven't updated anything since early December. It unnerved me to see the flickering hourglass again, this five months later.

I read through the suggestions in this discussion thread, and renamed the cpd file, and then reopened the project. So far (after 5 minutes working on this project with the regenerated cpd file), everything seems to be working correctly. Do you have any suggestions for me? Should I just proceed with caution?

Thanks!  --Jan

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 11:49 PM   in reply to Janatwork

Only the standard advice to backup daily. Renaming the CPD will boost performance until it needs compacting again (it is an Access database and they need compacting from time to time). Instead of compacting it, what RH does it rebuild it, same end result.

In RH8 there is an option to rebuild the cache every time you open a project. See Tools > Options.

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points