• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported GPU for CS5

New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all the interest of the "unsupported" GPUs, I thought it was time to start a specific thread.

Please post your questions and experiences.

Hacking is not advised and the unsupported cards are not ready for production use.

You've been warned! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 218 Replies 218
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found on cinema5d...

How to make  Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295

Postby marvguitar on 01 May 2010 22:38

I figured out how to  activate CUDA acceleration without a GTX 285 or Quadro... I'm pretty  sure it should work with other 200 GPUs. Note that i'm using 2 monitors  and there's a extra tweak to play with CUDA seamlessly with 2 monitors.

Here are the  steps:

Step  1. Go to the Premiere CS5 installation folder.
Step 2. Find the file  "GPUSniffer.exe" and run it in a command prompt (cmd.exe). You should  see something like that:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------  ---------------------------------------------------
Device:  00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Device: 00000000001D4208 has  video RAM(MB): 896
Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer  string: GeForce GTX 295/PCI/SSE2
Version string: 3.0.0

OpenGL version  as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 2.0
Supports  shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader  -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0  -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
Found 2 devices  supporting CUDA.
CUDA Device # 0 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name:  GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA  Device # 1 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX  295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device #  0 not choosen because it did not match the named list of cards
Completed  shader test!
Internal return value: 7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------  -------------------------------------------------------

If you look at  the last line it says the CUDA device is not chosen because it's not in  the named list of card. That's fine. Let's add it.

Step 3. Find the file:  "cuda_supported_cards.txt" and edit it and add your card (take the name  from the line: CUDA device details: Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute  capability: 1.3

So  in my case the name to add is: GeForce GTX 295

Step 4. Save that file and we're  almost ready.

Step  5. Go to your Nvidia Drivercontrol panel (im using the latest 197.45)  under "Manage 3D Settings", Click "Add" and browse to your Premiere CS5  install directory and select the executable file: "Adobe Premiere  Pro.exe"

Step  6. In the field "multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" switch from  "multiple display performance mode" to "compatibilty performance mode"

Step 7. That's  it. Boot Premiere and go to your project setting / general and activate  CUDA

Hope  this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This list is based on comments from other users on this forum.

These cards "seem" to work.

GTX: 470,295,260

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only seen the GPU go to about 20% at most with the few things I've played with so far, but the GTX 275 did smooth certain things out even if it didn't drop the CPU usage too much for some of the effects (for sharpen it cut CPU usage in half though and even where CPU usage appeared to remain the same, the video sometimes went from a bit choppy to smooth).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to use it with my 8800GT. Where is the patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it is not a "patch," but an unsupported "hack." Reply #2 has the steps to do the hack.

Disclaimer - I have never used this, and know nothing about it, so cannot vouch for the effectiveness, or the dangers of doing this.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to reiterate that this is a

HACK!

Use at your own peril.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cts51911 wrote:

HACK!

Use at your own peril.

Isn't saying stuff like "use at your own PERIL" going a bit extreme? It is not like it will melt your computer down or anything (and if it did, then the next time you played a video game it would've melted down anyway and likely a lot faster at that). Even if it were to mess up it's not like it will do anything more perilous to your hardware than a hundred other programs (with no warnings) could. I guess it depends how you interp use at your own peril.

'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chupacabracobra wrote:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

cts51911 wrote:

HACK!

Use at your own peril.

Isn't saying stuff like "use at your own PERIL" going a bit extreme? It is not like it will melt your computer down or anything (and if it did, then the next time you played a video game it would've melted down anyway and likely a lot faster at that). Even if it were to mess up it's not like it will do anything more perilous to your hardware than a hundred other programs (with no warnings) could. I guess it depends how you interp use at your own peril.

'

It is supposed to be funny.....Most people get it...Some don't (obviously)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cts51911 wrote:

chupacabracobra wrote:

cts51911 wrote:

HACK!

Use at your own peril.

'

It is supposed to be funny.....Most people get it...Some don't (obviously)

OK, OK I missed that, but well hey it is kinda of hard to tell considering all the kool-aid drinkers who write the exactly the same (only even more dramatically at times hah) and even some of the proponents had been saying things somewhat along those lines, so again hard to tell what jokes are actually meant to be jokes hah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Admiral Cook wrote:

I would like to use it with my 8800GT. Where is the patch?

not a patch, just follow the instruction above (basically you just type the name of your graphics card into the approved cards text file in the PPCS5 directory and it's good to go

one thing to keep in mind is that the 8800GT doesn't support double-precision, i have no idea if they used double-precision for any of the effects, but keep that in mind (i believe, but am not sure, that all of the 200 series, aside from the 240/250 do support double). I think I saw someone using a card that didn't support double and they said it worked, so maybe it would be ok, at least for most effects. I would tend to think they might not have used double at all, but who knows.

actually more importantly I think the 8800GT, at the very least most of them, would fail though since I think most had only 512MB of memory.

Did they ever make an expanded memory edition of that card??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 8800GT will not work even with a hack.  The minimum required GPU memory for the hack to work is 756MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Quadro 4600 is short on video memory and will not work either.  768mb is the Min. for any card.

I think this rules out a lot of cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Boss is out of the office for a bit and I had a chance to test his i7 975 Sager Notebook (3 internal hard drives because we hate it when Harm gets irritable).  His GTX285M is not officially supported.  The hack has got it crankin.  I placed two layers of Panasonic P2 1080i with a title layer on top.  On the second layer of video, I cut the clip's opacity by 46% added gaussian blur maxed out and the Fast Color Corrector dialed in to various levels.  Yellow Render line.  The playback is awesome.  Smooth as can be.  I exported a finished video in various formats.  No render errors or problems to report.  CS5 is amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck A. McIntyre wrote:

His GTX285M is not officially supported.  The hack has got it crankin.  I placed two layers of Panasonic P2 1080i with a title layer on top.  On the second layer of video, I cut the clip's opacity by 46% added gaussian blur maxed out and the Fast Color Corrector dialed in to various levels.  Yellow Render line.  The playback is awesome.  Smooth as can be.  I exported a finished video in various formats.  No render errors or problems to report.  CS5 is amazing.

Considering that the GTX285M is seriously cut down in terms of pipeline, bus width, I'm amazed to hear it has any impact at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was taking a wild stab at another notebook we have that has two GeForce 8800M GTX's in SLI.  I remember from the pre-release MPE reports, that SLI won't be supported.  The cards memory of 495MB is what GPUSniffer.exe lists as excluding it from use within Premiere.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated test now with testing done with a GTX 480 card.  I should preface that the Cineforms files were actually color corrected in FirstLight and really didn't need to do the color correction, but wanted to keep it consistent.  Also, all the filters below are accelerated effects.  Not sure if the accleration works in software mode or not.  Let me know if you have any questions or want me to test something else.  I may drop all the acclerated effects and put on non-accelerated ones for testing.

Cineform Files - Software
Total Time- 3min 30sec
No Filter CPU Playback Quality - Yellow/Smooth
Export Time No Filters - 4min 17sec
Filter CPU Playback Quality - Red/Few Stutters
Filter List - Gaussian Blur(47), Sharpen(43), Fast Color Corrector, Tint(100), Noise(16)
Export Time Filters - 7min 17sec

Cineform Files - MPE
Total Time- 3min 30sec
Export Time No Filters - 4min 22sec
Filter CPU Playback Quality - Yellow/Smooth
Filter List - Gaussian Blur(47), Sharpen(43), Fast Color Corrector, Tint(100), Noise(16)
Export Time Filters - 4min 49sec

5D Mark II Files - Software
Total Time- 3min 30sec
Export Time No Filters - 3min 42sec
Filter CPU Playback Quality - Red/Few Stutters
Export Time Filters - 6min 40sec

5D Mark II Files - MPE
Total Time- 3min 30sec
Export Time No Filters - 3min 40sec
Filter CPU Playback Quality - Yellow/Smooth
Export Time Filters - 4min 17sec

Cineform Conclusions
No Filters - No Difference
Filters 34% less time using MPE (437sec vs 289sec)

5D Mark II Conclusions
No Filters - No Difference
Filters 36% less time using MPE (400sec vs 257sec)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see how the GTX 4** stacks up to the Quadro cards and the GTX 285.

Great write-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The big thing hurting me right now is that I'm not running a RAID setup.

Doing an export now with same filters on the Cineform files via CS4 AME.  Lets see what the time differences are.  Also, the playback is pretty choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the fun of it, I ran the same thing through CS4.  Prepare for  the horrors!!!!

Cineform Files – CS4
Total Time- 3min 30sec
Filter CPU Playback Quality – RedStutters
Filter List – Gaussian Blur(47), Sharpen(43), Fast Color Corrector,  Tint(100), Noise(16)
Export Time Filters – 15min 32sec

Cineform Conclusions
69% less time using CS5 MPE vs CS4 (289sec vs 932sec)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

metalsaber wrote:

Just for the fun of it, I ran the same thing through CS4.  Prepare for  the horrors!!!!

Cineform Files – CS4
Total Time- 3min 30sec
Filter CPU Playback Quality – RedStutters
Filter List – Gaussian Blur(47), Sharpen(43), Fast Color Corrector,  Tint(100), Noise(16)
Export Time Filters – 15min 32sec

Cineform Conclusions
69% less time using CS5 MPE vs CS4 (289sec vs 932sec)

How amazing is that?

Imagine when they get the  code optimized what the Fermi cards will do?  The fermi cards have  nearly twice the number of cores/processors vs 200 series.

Hey...Keep  an eye out for "render problems" that some Adobe folks said would be fixed in future point releases.

I saw some weird stuff but that was because  I was sharpening and blurring on the same video stream (who actually  does that?)

To date, I have not seen any rendering problems.

Last, what resolution video files are you using 1080p 24? or ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, pretty amazing.  Importing 1080p 29.97 clips.  Exporting to 720p 29.97.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@metalsaber:

How many video layers wil the hacked card run before it tips up or needs to render?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz,

take a look at this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2787085#2787085

morten says he does not see any difference with the same projects between the hacked gtx 260 and the quadro 3800.

I think you said you had 8 video streams running liquid smooth.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldnt determine exactly how many layers he actually used in his "test"

He seemed to be having ssues at 4  with both cards.(AVCHD admittedly) and also had scrubbing problems

I have gone past 8 layers and kept throwing fx at them all .  Still havent broken it or seen a RED render line and scrubbing is perfect.

BTW - I have my source and Program monitors at Hi Res setting...  and I get same result playing out to the full screen. (tilde key)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines