Skip navigation

how do I view and disable unwanted crap in the CS5 installer

May 2, 2010 7:14 AM

Latest reply: Mopaxian, May 19, 2010 1:37 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to tjhb

I don't have that either. XP or Win7. But I have only Photoshop, not the Suite.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to Eric Wilde

But this is better news.

Also, a quick test of removing the "Core" and "Menu Items" payload shows that the products do continue to function properly.

I look forward to being able to do that... if the upcoming enterprise deployment toolkit for CS5 (unlike the one for CS4) will accept a retail serial number, to allow end users to configure their installations. What chance of that?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 7:37 PM   in reply to tjhb

AdobeOnlineDefault under the main Adobe category was what I changed. All my Adobe applications now actually say access to Adobe Live is disabled. The menu is still there, but it doesn't have access.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 8:15 PM   in reply to IndigoMoon777

Did you actually try clicking on some of the options? E.g. "Manage my account". It is still live for me. The only difference is the message "The application is not connected to the internet".

When you say "All my Adobe applications now actually say access to Adobe Live is  disabled", can you be more specific about when and how?

There is another way to disable these functions. I'll post on that a little bit later.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 12:16 AM   in reply to tjhb

I mean it literally says that it's disabled right on the menu. I can't go out to Adobe at all using those menus. Nothing happens at all now. Same thing as with the updates, but those might have already been "off" before because I did go into the program and common files sections and re-name anything that looked to be an updater file to something like "updater2" and block all those files in my firewall as well. In addition I saw a file folder in there for online stuff and I blocked all that too. It seems to have worked. I've been doing that actually for a long time, through several versions of Photoshop etc now.

As I said, I prefer to keep most of my applications set for offline work only except for my browser and email application.  For most applications, not just Adobe, I lock them down via the firewall and manually download all my updates. You can always name the files back if you do want to download updates via the program. Honestly I've never liked browser type updater settings put natively inside any program. I infinitely prefer to go to the software vendor's website, get what I need and install updates that way.

It's far more secure. If I lock away programs I don't use for net then there is a lot less chance some pesky trojan will be able to use some innocent program to do any damage to my machine unawares or that some update might screw up a program to the point of it needing a reinstall. I've had both happen in the past so if I can block the programs I don't use for browsing and mail anyway from going online without permission I do.

Adobe does put those files in several places but you can find them all if you really look, shrug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 12:33 AM   in reply to IndigoMoon777

Yes, me too, to the last paragraphs. But for the first, I'd really like to keep being a pain in the arse here—not because I don't believe you, but on the contrary to figure out what I might have done differently, why I get such a different result. Can you please say exactly what the menu says (in its own words, between quotes), and exactly what happens when you try to click on "Manage my account" (if indeed it appears in the menu). I know I'm being annoying but that degree of detail would really help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 3:00 PM   in reply to tjhb

It says right at the top of the CS Live menu  "Access to CS Live Services has been disabled" and while I can go down the menu, clicking on anything does not take me anywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 3:19 PM   in reply to IndigoMoon777

Great. Thanks for your patience. Now I want to make my menus say that, or at least find out why they don't.

I'm still planning to post on the other means of disabling (and removing) the menu. It's much more baroque however. (So there's a bit of typing involved.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to tjhb

Sorry for the slow responses. I've been swamped with customer escalations around install failures.

The data I gave you was fed to me from the core CSXS team. Let me try to get them engaged on this forum to give you a full answer.

As for the enterprise deployment tool (branded as AAMEE), I want to set expectations clearly. It won't have a UI that let's you pick and choose from every payload in the installer. It does, rather provide a way to configure the installer a little bit more and output PKG or MSI. You should also then be more easily able to pull out some payloads.

I'm checking on the retail serial# question.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 3:51 PM   in reply to Eric Wilde

As far as retail serial numbers in AAMEE (enterprise deployment): it *should* work. We do nothing to block them; but, we're not testing them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 5:47 AM   in reply to Mopaxian

You have checkboxes to choose what additional features you want installed or not. This is as simple as this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 4:31 PM   in reply to Eric Wilde

Hi folks. I also work for the Creative Suite and work with a large number of teams at Adobe. I'll try to cover open issues that remain on CS Live portions that have been discussed in this thread.

Disabling CS Live: As noted in other replies on this thread, the ability for CS Live services to access the internet directly can be disabled by using the AdobeOnlineDefault setting. This setting is documented in an Adobe KB article from CS4: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404813.html The CSXS preferences sections of that document can be ignored as the AdobeOnlineDefault setting was standardized as the setting for CS5.  Note that it does not prevent the browser, nor links that may be opened in a browser, from accessing the internet. What it does is disallow the services themselves from accessing the internet directly from within the application.

To Hudechrome, about not find the key in the registry and online help. The KB article documents creating the key if it does not exist. Regarding the function of Help, it does not completely disable Help. Help will still use files that were installed on your system. It just will not go out and search the internet for additional help.

Removing CS Live from the app bar: There isn't a CS-wide way of doing this. Photoshop did provide a preference to remove it from the app bar under Plug-Ins. The other apps do not have this. Depending on your needs though, the app bar can be hidden in each of the apps. Yes, standardizing on things like this across the Suite is something we can stand to do better.

Tim asked about removing some additional items from the installer:

Core:

AdobeCSXSInfrastructure2-mul

AdobeCSXSExtensions2-mul

Menu Items:

AdobeReviewPanel2-mul

AdobeStoryExtension-mul

BrowserLabCSLive-mul

SiteCatalystNetAverages1-mul

As Eric noted, most of the menu items should be safe to remove (AdobeStoryExtension-mul, BrowserLabCSLive-mul, and SiteCatalystNetAverages-mul). If you're not going to use CS Review, you can probably also remove AdobeReviewPanel2-mul, though it does have functionality within Photoshop. To re-iterate what Eric said, the products aren't extensively tested in such configurations so I think it's fair to caveat it with a "do so at your own risk."

Regarding the Core payloads, I don't really recommend removing AdobeCSXSInfrastructure2-mul. Although you may get away with removing it and not experiencing problems, it is a technology upon which some other features are built. For example, if you use Configurator panels or MiniBridge, they need the components that are installed by this payload.

I hope that covers the CS Live issues that appeared to still be open on this thread. I'll check back in case there are additional questions.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points