Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where is the extract filter in photoshop cs5?

May 11, 2010 12:03 PM

Where is the extract filter in photoshop cs5?  Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2010 12:22 PM   in reply to user7777

Been replaced. Read all about it:

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-cs5-review.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 7:36 PM   in reply to user7777

from an Adobe Tech Sheet:

Photoshop CS5 can be run as a 64-bit application on Mac OS, 10.5.7 and higher. Because of the changes that were made to the application, some plug-ins are not available when you run Photoshop CS5 either as a 32-bit or a 64-bit application. To work with these plug-ins, run Photoshop CS5 as a 32-bit application, then when you are done using these plug-ins, return to working in Photoshop CS5 as a 64-bit application.

If you copy old plug-ins from previous versions of Photoshop, or third-party plug-ins that are not compatible with Photoshop CS5, into Photoshop CS5's Plug-in folder, you may see different problems, such as errors or crashes.

If you have set the Additional Plug-Ins Folder in the Plug-Ins preferences to a folder, deselect this option, or make sure all the plug-ins in this folder are compatible with Photoshop CS5.

The easiest way to determine if third-party, old plug-ins, or plug-ins from previous versions of Photoshop are causing problems is to move them all into a new folder called "3rd Party plug-ins."

• If this folder is outside the Photoshop/Plug-Ins folder, you can use the Additional Plug-Ins Folder Plug-In preference to allow Photoshop to access or not access the plug-ins in this folder.
    • If this folder is inside the Photoshop/Plug-Ins folder, disable the plug-ins by renaming the folder by putting a tilde (~) as the first character in the folder name.

Plug-ins not supported by Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS, running in 64-bit mode:

• Lighting Effects
    • Extract (Use Refine Mask under the Selection menu)
    • Variations
    • Web Contact Sheet II (Web Photo Gallery)
    • TWAIN support will work on some scanners
    • Video Preview
    • Send Video Preview to Device
    • Embed / Read Watermark
    • Firewire
    • Firewire DLL

To run Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS as a 32-bit application, select the Adobe Photoshop CS5 application file, installed by default in the Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5 folder. Choose File > Get Info, and select Open in 32 Bit Mode. Deselect this option to run Photoshop CS5 in 64-bit mode.

To determine if a plug-in causes an error or crash, remove all old or third-party plug-ins from the Adobe Photoshop CS5 > Plug-Ins folder, and deselect Additional Plug-ins Folder in the Photoshop > Preferences > Plug-Ins preference.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 8:03 PM   in reply to cibgraphics

This is a windows forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to user7777

Its ok if you disregard the valid content in the post.  I won't blame you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 7:04 PM   in reply to user7777

It shows up, but only AFTER you have a selection active....You have to make your selection first.  If it still doesn't show up, you can go to SELECT---REFINE MASK .... and you will get the dialog box.

I'm still having problems, but primarily have been trying with one or two photos.  I end up with transparencies and the hair I "painted in" is gray...not brunette...as it should be.  I've done Lynda's tutorial and it works perfectly, so I don't really know what's going on.  The tech tried with the same photogaph and he said (just tonight...phoned back)...that his turned out worse than mine....sooooo...I'm really in a quandry here.

Let me know if it works for you.  I'd be anxious to find out the results you get with the mask....refinement tool.

Good luck, sweetie

Kathi

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points