Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dynamically-related files could not be resolved...

May 1, 2010 2:48 AM

Hello,

I need some help setting up Dreamweaver CS5 to work with my blog (it runs on wordpress).

I am getting this errror message:

"Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server."

What settings do I need to change to manage my blog from withing Dr CS5?

I will appreciate any help.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2010 3:45 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

I'm having the same issue - even on pages without any php code.  And on sites where the discovery actually works (still can't figure out what makes it work on the one site that it is working), it makes weird files that don't even exist.  For example with a simple include like:

<?php include('C:\wamp\www\soundrezn\assets\media\test.php') ?>.

on a page named "about.php"

it includes the file successfully, but then also adds a file 'about-n1m5d1qljl.php'

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Dreamweaver_Bug.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 3:46 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

You need to set up a testing server. Instructions for CS5 are here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 3:54 AM   in reply to mattcdavis1

mattcdavis1 wrote:

it includes the file successfully, but then also adds a file 'about-n1m5d1qljl.php'

It sounds as though it's including a temporary file. Without knowing more about your setup, it's impossible to judge.

By the way, this thread should be in the Dreamweaver Application Development forum, so I'm moving it there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 4:04 AM   in reply to David_Powers

David,

My setup is Windows 7 64 bit with Wamp 2.0.  I also have multiple Virtual Hosts setup.  Each site has a virtual host associated with it so that, for example, a file in my Sound Rezn site which is located at C:\wamp\www\soundrezn opens in the browser at http://soundrezn.localhost/local/mockups/home.php

The example from my previous post is from the one site where site discovery doesn't completely fail.  All the other sites I have setup result in the 'Dynamically-related files could not be resolved'' error even though I've inputted the settings in the same way as with the site that works.  I'll have to duplicate the semi-working site and start making changes one-by-one to see where the issue is.

-matt

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 5:31 AM   in reply to mattcdavis1

mattcdavis1 wrote:

My setup is Windows 7 64 bit with Wamp 2.0.  I also have multiple Virtual Hosts setup.

That setup should be fine. When you click the Discover link, Dreamweaver displays the following warning (unless you have selected the option to turn it off):

dynamic_warning.jpg

What this means is that Dreamweaver can find only those files that would normally be executed when the page is viewed in a browser. For example, if you include a file in a conditional statement, Dreamweaver will discover it only if the statement equates to TRUE. I have files that are included only when a form is submitted, so $_POST is not TRUE when Dreamweaver searches for them. As a result, they're not listed. If your script generates a temporary file, that's what Dreamweaver will find.

You might find it more useful to set up Site-Specific Code Hints.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 5:38 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

marer1976 wrote:

Can I use the live server to work online instead of installing XAMP on my machine?

I haven't tested it on a remote server, because it's generally not recommended. However, you can set up the Testing Server definition the same way using FTP. Set the Root directory to your FTP root folder, and Web URL to the URL you would use to access the site.

You can also just paste the URL of the remote site into the Address field of the Browser Navigation Bar in Live View. As I understand it, you can download the files for editing as long as you have set up the FTP details in the Site Setup dialog box. After editing them locally, you upload them again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to David_Powers

Hello David,
    I already have wordpress site installed and running on localhost. But I am not knowing how to create it in Dreamweaver, always appears the phrase "dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server. Retry | Setup" When I enter the site.

If I click on "live code" address appears: "http://localhost/requinte/index.php. But if I change to "http://localhost/requinte/" the site shown to me.

Would create a step-by-step images (or film)

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 12:20 AM   in reply to Eliu Prachedes Moraes

I have MAMP running on a Mac, and a fully function Drupal site, but just like Ellu, I get the error saying "dynamically-related files could not be resolved because the site definition is not correct for this server. Retry | Setup," as soon as I remove the file name from the address bar and leaving "localhost" i see the site.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 5:40 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

Testing out the new Dreamweaver CS5 as well and seeing this issue. I was able to get the page to render when I loaded a server on my local machine, but I cannot get this error message to go away no matter which server I am pointed at. This is on Mac OS X 01.6.3. Latest testing is using MAMP 1.9 with Joomla 1.5.17 site.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 1:50 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

I'm having the same problem trying to get a Drupal site installed. I'm using Drupal's multisite capability and i'm using Virtual hosts.

Here is my example site structure:

My local folder and the testing server are the same.

local: /Users/name/Sites/sites/local.example.com

url: http://local.example.com

My remote setup is as follows:

Server folder: /var/www/sites/site.example.com

url: http://site.example.com

I've tried accessing the remote server as SFTP and Local/Network and still get the error.

I've tried setting the server folder as /var/www/drupal with no success (drupal multisites point to the same folder and drupal does the negotiation to the correct folder based on the url).

Has anyone created a whitepaper on the setup process for each of the CMS's this is supposed to work on? I've seen the Lynda.com videos a few times and even those don't show the site setup process. They just show a site that has already been setup that magically works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 1:53 PM   in reply to GlowsintheDark

Amen, if someone can make a video going through this it would help a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 2:01 PM   in reply to sollostech

I really don't think that it's an issue of setting things up right - I think it's just a bug that Adobe needs to fix.  I actually was able to get the discovery working successfully on a couple of sites, but not consistently.  I would literally copy the exact specs from a site where discovery was working, and then change only the necessary fields and it would fail.  Considering that this is one of the major new features in DW CS5, you'd think they would have beta-tested this better.  Or maybe Steve Jobs is right about the quality of their products...

I've already uninstalled my trial of CS5 until Adobe gets their act together.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to mattcdavis1

Interesting. Well, since I already started my trial I might as well stick out the 30 days. Hopefully they will have a patch out shortly to get it working.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 3:31 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

I'm assuming there were beta testors for each of the supported CMS's. In other words, I'm assuming the support for these CMS's is a real, tested feature and not just a bunch of sales bullet items. Could someone please just post an example of a working server setup? I don't need (nor want!) a 7 page tutorial. Just an example of how to correctly setup the sever settings for a typical Drupal install. Wasn't there an example provided for testers?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 4:18 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

As Promised a Youtube Tutorial Hopefully I explain everything well and not too quick I am assuming you know creating sites well I don't go I'm selected the root folder kind of thing but then again I want all to benefit so it is slow and like a 6 min video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxy3NsDspo

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 8:44 AM   in reply to Samb0123

Thanks for the video!

Still doesn't work for an existing Wordpress site though (you're setting up a new one, which seems to work fine..*grumble;) *)

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 9:40 AM   in reply to Samb0123

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can confirm that your tutorial worked on MAMP running drupal 6.X. Not only that, but it worked with multisite installation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 10:21 AM   in reply to Hector Mercado

Hmmm, this sort of works for me using Drupal 6 and multisite. Sort of...

I am able to not get errors with my local testing server, however, for multisite,

1. there doesn't seem to be a way to separate the individual sites, i.e. the local folder is the drupal folder and one must navigate through the sites folder for each site (as opposed to having the individual site's folder as the root folder) Make sense? Are you seeing the same?

2. I'm able to edit existing CSS rules, but I can't seem to create new rules unless I do so in the CSS file itself. In other words, I can't click on a tag in the navigator and select New CSS Rule (and thus have the selector automatically generated).

Are you seeing the same behavior?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 5:57 PM   in reply to highwaykind

I re-opened it today didn't create a new site it works fine just checking do you have your MAMP or WAMP or LAMP or XAMPP or whatever you use open when you do this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 6:22 PM   in reply to GlowsintheDark

Answer to number One Yes I am however your activated theme or whatever drupal calls it in drupal before open you index.php and discover the dynamically-related files is the theme you are editing. if you really need multiple root folders have multiple wordpress or drupal installations

Answer to number two click on you style.css don't have index.php selected so basically when you see your style.css code add a new style say and select this document and it will work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 6:48 PM   in reply to Eliu Prachedes Moraes

I have below

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 7:32 PM   in reply to Samb0123

Thank you for the video. Now I could build my site in Dreamweaver by wordpress.

Thank you very much.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to Samb0123

@Samb0123 Thanks very much for your efforts. I was able to successfully set up a Drupal 6 multisite install. However, there are issues, one of the biggest seems to be that Dreamweaver doesn't seem to recognize symbolic links. Have you noticed this too? I keep my sites and files folder out of my Drupal folder and symlink them so updates are easier.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 12:00 PM   in reply to Samb0123

Thanks, OK. I think I see where this is going. Basically, with Drupal multisite I point all of my sites to the same drupal folder and the differentiator is the local/remote URL. The problem with this is there is no way (maybe I'm missing something) to use the site management features of Dreamweaver (unless one is getting paid by the hour ). If, for instance I want to sync a site with a remote server, it will check my entire drupal install as well as all of my other sites, even though the site may only consist of a single css and php file. This is a problem.

I'm also having issues with symbolic links. They don't seem to be recognized either locally on OSX or remotely on Ubuntu.

Edit: And another issue is what is happening when the files are uploaded to the live/remote server. It creates a folder on the live server with the local server's URL. This is not desired as I use local.site.com for local and www.site.com for live.

Yet another issue, the edit live view page in new tab feature does not seem to work either. It keeps looking for the page as an existing .php page and as anyone who works with Drupal knows, pages are nodes in a DB. This means that all related files are only applicable and editable for the Home page which is completely useless (unless one only needs to edit the Home page)

This really isn't ready for primetime yet. It does not work with a typical Drupal install other than in the most superficial sense of the word "work". If it does, Adobe needs to spend some time on documentation. Looks like we've got another 18 month wait for another update. Back to Coda and CSSEdit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 5:03 PM   in reply to GlowsintheDark

I followed the instructions from the video and was able to get a fresh Joomla site to work. A copy of my working site, fails I had better luck doing it the way I thought was the method from the Dreamweaver help documents. I wonder what it would cause it not to like one site and be fine with another.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to sollostech

That's exactly the issue I ran into.  It would work on some sites but not on others - even when the setup process was identical (except for the target folder in my web server).  It appears to be major bug in DW.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 5:42 PM   in reply to mattcdavis1

I wish there was more error reporting. I would like to get an idea what I can adjust with my site or within the site definition to get it to comply with Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 6:07 PM   in reply to GlowsintheDark

Yes I think the set-up process for this is stupid I think it should be navigate to your theme or your site as the root folder and the wordpress install as your server folder. I usually do use Cyberduck for my FTP anyway as I never really liked the dreamweaver one.

Symbolic links is a term I have never heard of before so I am not going to comment as I may look like a huge idiot.

Looks like Wordpress or Joomla seem to have the best support however I was working on a theme the other day all going great I come to make the functions.php file I only wanted one function for the new menus in the V3 beta 2 then I tested the menus it all works fine I close my dreamweaver had a little break.

I come back to open from where I left off and I get an error or it just shows me wp-header-blog.php or something like that couldn't see anything in live view inspect live code well live code only head <body><head></head></body> I don't think it even had the opening and closing html tags.

It all worked again once I reinstalled everything ect.. got rid of functions file and I confirmed it was functions file as I retraced my steps. (functions file in the default theme works fine wired I know)

Adobe will fix this bugs we have to remember we still have patches to come from Adobe. This is the first version of Dreamweaver CS5 Adobe will probably know of some of this bugs and are working on them as we speak they probably also have people who regularly scout all these forums probably especially their own. We would like to think we receive software and its a breeze and just works but for anyone who has done programming its not easy debugging or troubleshooting your script when an issue occurs. I do like to think big software suppliers have this piece of software to edit their script that updates as a person changes something in script and they have like 5-10 people working on the one file/function. and finding problems in the script so they get the debugging process done quicker.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 7:51 AM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

@ Samb0123

Thank you very much! I had been setting up sites and servers so many times I lost count ... and it just would not work! I kept getting the "Dynamically-related files could not be resolved .." message.

Now thanks to your video I saw where I went wrong. Got it working now and I must say I am very impressed with this new feature. I will write a detailed review (in Dutch) on my blog and also link to your video.

Thanx again Samb0123!

grtz and happy testing!

dazz

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 8:23 AM   in reply to Samb0123

@ Samb0123

Thank you very, very much!!  I am now able to see MOST of the related files using Joomla, however I am now seeing all and I still get that error message.  The Live View is functioning well.

The only thing I don't understand is how to get a Remote Server and Testing Server set up the the Site Definition box.

Erwin

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 9:41 AM   in reply to David_Powers

I'm also trying to preview using live server, and get the same error message.

Since my site is already set up in a subfolder for testing, I checked my current server as both "remore" and "testing". My settings are as follows:

Root Directory: mydomain.com/wordpress/

Web URL: http://mydomain.com/wordpress/

No luck so far. Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 6:39 PM   in reply to ehunter39

I haven't setup a remote server I use CyberDuck as my FTP Client and if it looks good in MAMP it will look the Same on the Server.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 6:40 PM   in reply to kf420

As I said before I haven't set-up a remote server.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 7:26 PM   in reply to Marek Mularczyk

I personally installed wordpress severals  times locally as i could only make the dynamic discover feature work  maybe once or twice each time i installed, then I would get this error.  After trying several different server setups i almost gave up. Today I  was working with wordpress outside of dreamweaver and was looking for a  way to change permalinks to have a php extension. After looking for a  while I noticed people kept talking about making differnet servers like  xamp able to handle permalinks. Then the light came on for me and I  realized each time I installed wordpress I would eventually change the  default permalink to day and name. So I turned it back to default in  wordpress and bingo I could now discover the files. Tried this several  times to make sure this was the issue. Yippe!!

Michael

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 6:46 AM   in reply to David_Powers

David -

Why the change in the way this feature works?  It never used to function "as if the file were opened in the browser" and it worked fine before.  How can I enable related files and not have DW "open" them in a browser?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 6:11 PM   in reply to Michaeltm

That is definitely the fix for Wordpress, Michael. Good find!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 6:41 PM   in reply to AlanGilbertson

Thanks kindly AIGPHOTO

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 2:54 AM   in reply to Michaeltm

Michaeltm I could kiss you!

I have been having this problem again and again. Today I have a site that I have to get to alpha by tomorrow and I'm tearing my hair out! I read your post and have changed the permalinks in wordpress back to the default and it all works fine in Dreamweaver.

To all who are having problems despite your wordpress site working fine in a browser - try resetting the permalinks to the default!!

What I want to find out now is how I can work with my site in the future, given that my client certainly won't want their permalinks at the default setting for SEO reasons..... Maybe by changing the permalinks in the admin screen before setting the site up in Dreamweaver for the first time?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points