Skip navigation

PDF Preview Handler doesn't work

Jun 20, 2007 2:07 PM

Latest reply: tnsprin, Feb 6, 2014 7:59 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2009 1:10 PM   in reply to Jyea

I have Acrobat Pro v9 and not reader, so I am not sure if this is the same fix.

I don't know if Acrobat even installs a preview handler (even on 32-bit Windows). You may need to install Reader as well to get the preview handler. Can't say for sure as I don't have Acrobat, though.

(BTW, not sure of the URL off the top of my head but Adobe have a page on their website that lists which versions of Acrobat and Reader can safely co-exist on the same machine. If you have an older version of Acrobat then installing the latest Reader may cause problems. Installing an older version of Reader isn't a good idea, though, due to all the security holes in older versions.)

So confusing that this is an issue and Adobe hasnt fixed it.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that, three months after I reported the fix, Adobe still don't seem to have updated the Adobe Reader installer to incorporate it. I'm still getting loads of "thank you" emails so it's clear the problem affects a lot of people. It's also ridiculous that such a simple problem, caused by not following the Windows API documentation, that affects so many people was completely ignored for so long. Adobe: Pull your socks up!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 11:02 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

My page about the fix is updated:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

There is now a tool that automates the fix.

After three months, Adobe still haven't fixed their installer and I'm still getting loads of people emailing me to say thanks. I figured the existing info was too complex for a lot of people, and it looks like the fix may be useful for some time, so I wrote the tool to make things easier and help more people.

The tool takes care of stuff like the extra registry value that Vista and Vista-to-Win7-upgrade users need to modify. It also offers to reset the preview handler association for people who have another one installed, makes sure people don't try to "fix" 32-bit Windows by mistake, and some other stuff. It should give people a one-click fix.

Of course, I've left the old details there for those who prefer to do things by hand.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2009 6:49 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

This works like a charm. You are awesome!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2010 7:19 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Leo Davidson's elegant fix to this long-standing Adobe bug is highly recommended. It worked instantly on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine.

It would be great for all us Adobe users, if Adobe would Mr. Davidson as an ombudsman.  Think Mark Russinovich . . . SysInternals . . . Microsoft.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 4:08 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Leo

I just want to give you a pat on the back for your help on this matter. Well done. I obviously join a chorus of users who send a message to Adobe to make a fix for the billion other users around the world... and perhaps they can throw your name into the fix for good measure. If you had a small paypal donation button on your installer (or webpage) i would definitely have thrown a few bucks your way, because i think you're a mensch.

Regards

Paul Steinberg

Melbourne Australia

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2010 5:14 AM   in reply to paul steinberg

[deleted]

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2010 7:22 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

I have just released an additional fix that makes Adobe Reader's thumbnails work on 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 machines:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

Enjoy!

BTW, I made the thumbnails look better by trimming the white frame. Might even be worth installing on 32-bit machines. :-)

Here's a screenshot showing the thumbnails and preview handler working on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/adobe_pdf_thumbnails_fix_small.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2010 5:18 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Well done

paul

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Thanks Leo!

I read through your site, and chose to go the lazy route using the app to modify the registry instead of doing it manually.  I can add to the list of confirmations that it worked flawlessly as advertised on Win 7 x64 without any issues what-so-ever.  Now if only Adobe could make their software so reliable.....

Anyhow, just a quick note to say thanks for doing this!

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Feb 14, 2010 1:01 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Leo,

Good job...fixed my problem with Acrobat 9 and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

DJ

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2010 1:28 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Thanks Leo,

Did the trick on my Windows 7 64bit machine.

@Adobe: you should be ashamed to let this go on for such a long time

@Leo: I donated something, but an additional message seems no option. Luckily the header of the payment says: "PDF 64-bit fixes", so your friend should know enough!

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2010 6:55 PM   in reply to DQSP

"@Adobe: you should be ashamed to let this go on for such a long time"

I second that... very disapointing.

Regards,

Mike D.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 6:44 AM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Hey guys,

It's interesting how this problem didn't exist for me until I started using Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Beta. When opening a PDF attachment in Outlook 2010, I get the error message "PDF Handler for Vista." I'm no longer using Vista, but Windows 7. All the Acrobat 9.3x intergration worked fine in Office 2007 prior to ungrading. For kicks I down graded to my Office 2007 Suite and the PDF Handler for Vista worked fine in Windows 7, and all the intergration with the Office Suite too. Below is a screen shot of Outlook 2010's Trust Center/Attachment Handling/Attachment and Document Previewers... window only confirms PDF Preview Handler for Vista is infact installed. Everytime I go to Outlook Options/Add-Ins PDFMOutlook.dll click /Go to activate this item it returns inactive after closing the program to accept changes. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Michael

mlkgrant_prtsc_05_copy.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 7:13 AM   in reply to spottedmahn

Maybe Steve Jobs isn't too far off the mark with his "Adobe is lazy" statement.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 7:39 AM   in reply to mlkgrant

Well,

Here I am answering my own post... After posting, I decided to check out all the other posts as well. Wouldn't you know there's a fix, but not from Adobe. http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/ My PDF Preview Handler for Vista now works with Outlook 2010 using Windows 7 64bit.

thanks

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 11:17 AM   in reply to mlkgrant

That's why we all thanked Leo, Michael. You obviously missed page 1 of this post at first? Isn't it great software that Leo made that should have been made by Adobe!!

Rob

Message was edited by: DQSP

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 2:11 PM   in reply to mschaffer

mschaffer wrote:

For all that I've said about Adobe regarding this PDF issue (and others), I'd choose them over Apple any day. Apple's behaviour when given power over a popular platform is unforgivable -- e.g. arbitrarily banning all programming languages & tools except their own -- makes me side with Adobe on that fight.

For all that's wrong with Adobe in the last few years, I do still *choose* to use several of their software packages. The only Apple code I ever use is what's forced upon me to use their hardware. (Even then, since reinstalling with Windows 7, I've refused to install iTunes on my machine. I'll live with a stale iPod for a while and install it in a virtual machine when the time comes.)

I mean, if we're going to ban inefficient code that's the product of a poor cross-platform porting framework and results in an awful app, Apple should have the decency to ban their own Windows port of iTunes (or let me choose to use other software with their devices).

Anyway, glad the Adobe Reader fixes are working for everyone!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 9:19 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Leo Davidson wrote:

mschaffer wrote:

For all that I've said about Adobe regarding this PDF issue (and others), I'd choose them over Apple any day. Apple's behaviour when given power over a popular platform is unforgivable -- e.g. arbitrarily banning all programming languages & tools except their own -- makes me side with Adobe on that fight.

For all that's wrong with Adobe in the last few years, I do still *choose* to use several of their software packages. The only Apple code I ever use is what's forced upon me to use their hardware. (Even then, since reinstalling with Windows 7, I've refused to install iTunes on my machine. I'll live with a stale iPod for a while and install it in a virtual machine when the time comes.)

I mean, if we're going to ban inefficient code that's the product of a poor cross-platform porting framework and results in an awful app, Apple should have the decency to ban their own Windows port of iTunes (or let me choose to use other software with their devices).

Anyway, glad the Adobe Reader fixes are working for everyone!

I agree with your statments about Apple,but it does not invalidate Jobs' assertion.  Of course, it could just be apathy.

Anyhow, I haven't had any Apple code on my workstations for quite some time (iTunes and QuickTime are but a distant memory) so I find it hard to make a fair comparison.  However, I would say that, of all of the software I use daily, I have the most problems with Adobe software---especially Acrobat.  This has been the case for a VERY long time.

Also, regarding Apple's software, I am willing to give them a little slack only because, in my mind, they are a hardware vendor.  I am a bit surprised that they can get both hardware and software to the level they do provide.  However, the crap that Apple does get away with (arbitrarily restricting applications and development tools) is unconscionable!  (Where's the DOJ on this one?)

Regardless of what Jobs said about Adobe, I certainly do not believe that Adobe Flash being buggy is the REAL reason Apple doesn't want Flash on their devices.  It's all about Adobe's CS5 compliler being a conflict with Apple's edict that you must use thier toys. (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/appsfor_iphone/)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 6:43 PM   in reply to spottedmahn

The good news is that Adobe finally fixed the preview handler in the Adobe Reader 9.3.2 installer.

The bad news is that:

• They still haven't fixed PDF thumbnails for 64-bit (so you still need my fix for those). Maybe Adobe will fix that themselves in 2011? :-)
    • If you download the Adobe Reader installer you get 9.3.0. You have to run the update checker after installing it in order to get the latest version with the 64-bit preview handler fix and several vital security updates. (Seriously, Adobe, are you so lazy that you can't be bothered to copy the latest installer to your website? Even when the version on there contains serious security flaws which are being exploited in the wild? What the hell?)
    • Adobe didn't bother to mention this in their change log (let alone credit me for finding it) so it was only noticed by accident. Shows how much they cared about this issue, but at least they fixed it in the end, albeit six months after I told them how to fix it and several years after the initial complaints. Credit goes to Alex Bantzhaff for noticing the fix in 9.3.2 and letting me know.

Other good news is that Office 2010 RTM came out and no longer requires the extra registry changes which the Office 2010 beta needed.

That's some progress at least. Still a long way to go, though, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 9:52 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

I had noticed the fix for the preview viewer after upgrading my laptop to window 7 64-bit (custom install as I was running Vista 32-bit) the other week.  I had expected to have to redo the fix for this but discovered it was already working.

Note I am not sure what controls Thumbnails, but some of my PDF documents do get updated thumbnails as well, while others get a generic pdf thumbnail.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to tnsprin

Without installing my thumbnail fix, 32-bit apps are still able to generate thumbnails which Windows then caches and provides for 64-bit apps if they ask for thumbnails for the same files. (But 64-bit apps still cannot generate fresh thumbnails for other files without installing my fix (or an alternative PDF tool that supports 64-bit).)  So if you see thumbnails for some PDF files and haven't installed any fix or alternative tool, it's probably just because a 32-bit app cached a thumbnail for those files in the past.

By the way, it turns out Adobe didn't quite get the preview handler fix right in the 9.3.2 installer: If you upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 you'll probably still need to run my preview handler fix (but only once, at least if you grab the latest version from my website).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 9:48 PM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Hi. I have Acrobat Standard v9 installed and not Reader. I was able to fix the PDF Preview Handler issue by doing a registry search and replacing the AppID wherever it was wrong. I am not so sure about the thumbnail preview fix though -- will this work for me or will it only work for Adobe Reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 1:27 AM   in reply to truemaam

truemaam wrote:

I am not so sure about the thumbnail preview fix though -- will this work for me or will it only work for Adobe Reader?

I'm not sure as I don't have Adobe Acrobat to test with. Give it a try and see what happens. If it doesn't work you can uninstall it afterwards.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Below is the reg-file that fixed this problem on my computer. (Outlook 2007, Windows 7 x86)

Best of luck....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DC6EFB56-9CFA-464D-8880-44 885D7DC193}]
    "AppID"="{534A1E02-D58F-44f0-B58B-36CBED287C7C}"

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2010 3:48 PM   in reply to EMIPUS

I just recently upgraded to Office 2010 Pro and haven't had a problem since. But that fix was great! I did use it... great work!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2010 3:08 PM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Any idea how to preview password protected pdfs? Working fine for all others.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 12:01 AM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Dear Adobe,

PDF Preview option not working in MyComputer or Windows Explorer.

Only option is a PDF symbol or unavailable

Adobe Acrobat 9 on Win 7 64 bit

Please advise fix ASAP

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 10:16 PM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Leo, you are THE MAN!!!!!!!!   Thanks so much for the thumbnail fixer for W7 64bit.  This saved me beaucoup time and I appreciate it!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 5:07 AM   in reply to whitefang90266

Just installed Reader 9.4.1 and shows a preview in the preview pane now. At first it was showing thumbnails in my windows folders, (Win7 64b) but now, they disappeard. Funky stuff

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 6:35 AM   in reply to MACHINO2010

Are you on the latest version 9.4 or 9.4.1 as of today?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 8:03 AM   in reply to AbhigyanModi

9.4.1 is the version I installed this mornin'

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to matinum2

matinum2 wrote:

Just installed Reader 9.4.1 and shows a preview in the preview pane now.

Yep, Adobe (more or less*) fixed the preview-handler installation. (*They missed an edge case with Vista->Win7 upgrades, FWIW. My preview handler fix will correct that for anyone who runs into it.)

matinum2 wrote:

At first it was showing thumbnails in my windows folders, (Win7 64b) but now, they disappeard.

They still haven't fixed the thumbnails.

If a 32-bit process caused the thumbnails to be generated and cached, those thumbnails will also show up in 64-bit processes like Explorer. But those 64-bit processes still cannot generate their own thumbnails unless my thumbnail fix is installed. That's probably what you saw.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2010 9:06 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Hello!  I have a new computer with Windows 7 & Outlook 2010, and I just installed the new Acrobat X + Reader X.  The Preview Handler has never worked in Outlook 2010, and still doesn't with X.

I used the utility (before and after installing X) to see if it would fix the problem but even though it said the registry was corrected, the Preview Handler still doesn't work in Outlook, nor does the Thumbnail feature work in explorer.

I've re-started, re-booted, and everything else I can think of, and I'm still getting "this file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer: PDF Preview Handler". Do you have suggestions on how to fix this? I am totally willing to donate!

Thank you so much,

Ella

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2010 1:49 PM   in reply to ellablue2

Try repairing the Adobe Reader (not Acrobat) install.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Brilliant   It worked, thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Leo, you da man.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 1:40 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

Hi

Cannot get it to work for me ??

Windows 7 Office 2010 Adobe 7.1.4

Tried with Adobe Reader 10.0.1 installed but no luck so deinstalled.

Tried Repair of Office 2010. No luck.

Stumped.

Regards

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to Leo Davidson

hey Leo,

I went through this post quite fast cause I'm having the same issue as most of the users of this post. I can't get adobe reader X (PDF preview handler) to work with MS Outlook 2007 with SP2 (32 bits). Is there a way to get through this? Does adobe have a patch out? The company just upgraded from 9 to X and since, we've had this issue.

You mentionned an APP for this or any other suggestion will do....

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Hey everyone!  I'm still not getting it to work properly, even after installing Leo's fix.  I'm running Win 7 and access all my files off of a network drive (maybe that's the problem?).

Because I've installed the fix, it is showing thumbnails, but the thumbnails I'm seeing are often for the next, most recent file in the folder.  Sometimes the thumbnails are accurate and sometimes not - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

I've tried everything I can think of.  Repaired installations on everything, installed and uninstalled it all, even manually reset the registry so the fix could fix it all over again.

Thoughts, anyone???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2011 6:41 AM   in reply to (Andorio_Magellano)

Guys,

We are having difficulties with the adobe X prefiev handler on terminal services (remote desktop session host)

When an administrator opens outlook and want to see the preview in Outlook 2010, it goes perfectly. Also the Windows Explorer preview pane does work.

But on a account with normal user rights (non-local admin) the preview handler in outlook as well as Windows Explorer doe not work.

does anybody else experience this problem?

Hope the misery of this problem will end soon, because it never worked properly.....

greetz

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)