Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Photoshop CS5 has stopped working (Win 7, 64 bit)

Jan 3, 2012 11:16 AM

I am trying to run Photoshop CS5 on Windows 7 64bit. Everytime I open the program, I get an error saying "Adobe Photoshop CS5 has stopped working", immediately after the splash screen goes away and the main gui opens. The only option on the error is "Close Program".

I am on a computer with an i7 processor and 12GB of memory. I have two Nvidia GTS 250 video cards, running four monitors.

Over the course of the last day, I have reformatted my computer, and reinstalled Windows twice. I have reinstalled the CS5 Master Suite more times than I can remember. I have also downloaded and installed the latest video card drivers from Nvidia.

I continue to have the same problem every time I try to open any of the programs in the CS5 suite.

The only time I have come close to getting it to work was immediately after installing the new Nvidia drivers, before restarting my computer. I was able to open it one time without it crashing, Once I restarted my computer, Photoshop continued to give me the same error every time I try to open it.

I have no other software installed on my computer. It is a brand new installation of Windows 7.

I have been on the phone with Adobe technical suuport for about an hour and a half, and I have yet to get a single suggestion other than attempting an install with my network cable unplugged. Other than that, they seem to be fond of transfering me back and forth between departments (and asking me to repeat all of my information every time).

As you can probably tell, I am very frustrated at this point and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Trevor

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2010 12:11 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

If I remember reading correctly the PS CS5 support requirements does not support SLI. Try turning off SLI.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 3:27 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Try and roll back your new Nvidia driver.  I got the BSOD when I installed the latest driver.  Went back to the previous driver and no problems. Lot of comments on this forum about the Nvidia driver.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 3:29 PM   in reply to TandemBob

You can ask your friends what Nvidia driver set they are using. That may help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 3:55 PM   in reply to dec9

I am running XP Pro on 32 bit with CS5. I just installed yesterday. I have

an NVida 8600 GTX  video card with the latest driver with SLI operating with

no problems .

Tunney

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 5:13 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

I am having the same problem with Premiere PROCS5. When I launch Premiere Pro CS5 I receive a message "Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has stopped working." The problem is occuring repeatedly.

I am running Windows 7 (64bit) on a Dell Vostro 420 with Core2 Quad 8200 / 2.33 GHz processor, 4GB RAM. I have a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 graphics card.

If I restart my computer, I am able to open Premiere PRO CS5 successfully one time  - but once closed, if I try to repoen it, I receive the message and cannot open until the computer is restarted.

Hoping my experience may help Adobe with troubleshooting... any ideas?

Sara

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 6:57 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Do you have a Wacom tablet by chance?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 7:13 PM   in reply to 1sandman

1 Sandman,

Interesting question. I have an old model ET-0405-U that I borrowed form a colleague - but I have not installed it yet on this machine.

Sara

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 7:35 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Ok, I was just wondering as I have (had) the same problem. It was due to the newest Wacom drivers for Win7 x64.  Photoshop cs5 , Cs4  Lightroom 2.7 and Lightroom 3 beta 64 bit versions will not work!  32 bit versions work just fine. I removed newest drivers and installed ver 6.1.2-5 and now all my win 7 x64 photoshop,lightroom work just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 11:22 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

Wacoom intous 4 drivers cousing to stop photoshop cs5 64 bit if you uninstall driver it is working

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 7:23 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

I have a similar problem. I receive the error "photoshop cs5 has stopped working" upon closing the photoshop CS5 program. However it will only happens if i open a PSD. If i simply open the program, do nothing, then close it, it will close without error.

i am not using a tablet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 6:16 AM   in reply to Atroa

FYI ... my issue with Premiere Pro CS5 was resolved when I did a clean reinstall of Windows 7, resintalled Production Premium CS5 without installing McAffee security software. Word is McAffee can create a lot of issues with Adobe software.

Sara

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 10:33 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

When you did the re-install of Win7, did you select the

format disk option before

re-install? Windows 7 "help

fully" will save stuff before

running the re-install. That can be counterprod

uctive to curing a problem between Win7 and a program

STOOPID CARRIAGE RETURN!!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 1:05 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

I was having the same problem but I figured why it wasn't working for me. My Wacom Tablet. Cintiq 12WX to be exact. First thing I do is uninstall it and once I did that and tried CS5 64bit, it worked perfectly. But then came the headache.

I tried reinstalling my Tablet which worked and 64bit was still working but my prefernce controls for my tablet stopped working. Which I need to set up and calibrate my tablet correctetly. So I go and look up the list of drivers and found 4 on Wacoms site. First one didn't sort the problem but the next one did. But then 64bit stopped working again. Tried the other drivers and led to the same problem.

Ever have one of those days were nothing goes to plan?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 3:40 PM   in reply to Static Jak

Yeah. That's why I don't like to plan!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 5:45 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

from my event viewer:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bbc5b10

Faulting module name: atio6axx.dll, version: 6.14.10.9262, time stamp: 0x4b59af70

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000081333c

Faulting process id: 0x110c

Faulting application start time: 0x01caefe0bcc2050f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\atio6axx.dll

Report Id: 04f02b43-5bd4-11df-8e5b-1c4bd60890f7

googled: atio6axx.dll and found this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/62873-closing-photoshop-shows-erro r-reliability-history.html

a similar issue with PS CS4. Problem was resolved by rolling back video card driver. didnt help me though.

i have a 1gb ati hd 5470 vid card.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 12:04 AM   in reply to Atroa

Uninstall the video card driver, restart your sistem into Safe Mode, run DriverSweeper to get rid of the leftovers and then reinstall the latest (or whatever) video card driver

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 6:57 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

My scenario and history:

Windows Vista Ultimate and now Windows 7 Ultimate

NVidia Quadro Fx 4500 driving 4 monitors total SLi on or off - makes no difference.  Drivers irrelevant.

2 x Xeon 5160 (so total 4 cores)

24Gb RAM

PS CS 4 or 5

4 monitors - - yep it is the 4 monitor thing.

Fails everytime as you describe.

Observation - If you Remote Desktop Connection onto the computer - and so in effect are using only ONE monitor - PS works fine.

A WORKAROUND for 4 or 5 - I don't consider this a fix because you lose some functionality but it gets you 99% there and is the same workaround for CS4 or 5

Go to<drive>:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\    (or CS4 - depending on version)

Locate File:

ScriptingSupport.8li

Disable this extension by renaming the file with a tilde in front of the file name.  Thus:

~ScriptingSupport.8li

Start Photoshop - it works and is mainly functional.

The only real downside I have discovered is that disabling this scripting extension means you cannot use some of the built in scripts under FILE - SCRIPTS - the biggest PIA for me being the Contact Sheet builder no longer works.  But as I now use Lightroom to create contact sheets - this is not a big loss.  Other scripting functionality - I am sure is affected - but not to a point I find PS unusable.

ADOBE - if you read this - it has been that extesion now for the last two editions of PS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to GJWS

OK, we'll look into the Scripting Support issue.

With 4 or more monitors, the UI code in it could have some issues that were missed in our internal testing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 2:28 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

I also get the photoshop cs5 stopped working on 64 bit version on vista  with 4 monitors on system and ati 4850x2 video card. had same problem with cs4 but as they say lived with it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 5:27 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

I've been having the same problem with both the 32-bit and 64-bit. I can get both programs to open up, but once I select an image to work on and try to open it, the programs shut down. I'm using dual monitors. I disconnected one as someone as someone else had suggested, and changed the settings in my Catalyst program, but it had no effect. Photoshop still closes when trying to open a file.

Parish

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to PCMILLS70

I've been having the same problem

...and then you go on to describe something completely different from what is being discussed in this topic.

If you have a different issue, please create a new topic so we can discuss it without confusing the issue in this topic.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 1:23 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

I scanned through this thread and did not see this tried as of yet (or maybe i missed it) > so we know 4 monitors are not working:

1. What resolutions are each monitor?

2. Have you tried lower resolutions on each monitor (eg i know it's ll be painful but 1024x768ish size on all)

3. Launch PS with one monitor and Turn Off OpenGL in Preferences > Performances. Then try all 4 monitors again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 3:20 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris,

I know with 4100+ posts, you must deem yourself as quite the expert here, but maybe you ought to read the forum a little closer before trying to add up your post count. What part of my comment do you think DOES NOT APPLY towards this TOPIC?

Let's see, I discussed 2 items with regards to this subject matter:

ISSUE 1: Adobe Photoshop CS4 has stopped working. Does this apply to me? Yes.

ISSUE 2: some other members discussed the multiple monitor issue. Does this apply to me? Yes.

I've only commented on 2 topics in all of the Adobe forums, and both are/were related to the CS5 Web Premium trial products. I'm currently looking at purchasing the suite, but only if I can get Photoshop to work properly. But I have to add that your comment is making me wonder if it's worth it - especially considering your an employee.

That's the first snide comment I've seen on this board (remember, I've only checked out 2 topics), everyone else seems to be concentrating on helping each other. Perhaps you should take their cue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 4:16 PM   in reply to PCMILLS70

I would need more system info on your machine to guess, you may send me a private message with your system info (from Help > Susyem, Info menu)  or add some basic info here and we can begin to debug the issue here.

I have to the basic questions Parish:

• Do you have the latest drivers from ATI? http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
    • What video card and OS?
    • Try turning off OpenGL in the Preferences > Performance tab. Then restart PS.
    • Is this new behavior?
    • Are you using default Catalyst preferences or have they been changed (eg for Better performance do this )

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:42 AM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

I'm having an almost identical problem with Acrobat 9.3 Pro

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 5:38 AM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

Hi Daniel,

In response to your questions, I've answered it all below. Thanks in advance, because you've solved my problem. Photoshop was closing due to the OpenGL feature. I disabled it per your suggestion and it worked. I'm currently downloading the latest ATI drivers. Later I will report if that allows me to run with the OpenGL enabled.

Parish

• Do you have the latest drivers from ATI? http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
      • ANSWER:Quick answer is no. I wasn't sure, so I looked at the current version is at 10.4 and I'm using 9.7. I'm downloading the latest version now, and will install and report my results here in a little bit.
    • What video card and OS?
      • ANSWER:
        • Video Card: Asus ATI Radeon HD 4800 series card, dual monitor output.
        • PC Info: AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor, 3400 Mhz, 16GB memory, MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard, built in Nov '09.
    • Try turning off OpenGL in the Preferences > Performance tab. Then restart PS.
      • ANSWER: .....IT WORKED!!!! I unchecked the OpenGL tab in both versions of Photoshop (32 and 64-bit) and restarted and both will open a file and allow me to work with it. I'm now hoping that the latest drivers from ATI will allow me to work with OpenGL, although I'm not quite sure what it's purpose is. Do I even need to worry about OpenGL?
    • Is this new behavior?
      • ANSWER: This is new behavior, at least it is regarding my computer. I built this pc back in Nov '09, and haven't been experiencing any problems to speak of. I did run into problems trying to install the CS5 Web Premium suite, but that was remedied after talking with Microsoft. It turned out that I had some corrupt files in my system. We replaced them and the fresh install of CS5 went flawless.
    • Are you using default Catalyst preferences or have they been changed (eg for Better performance do this )
      • ANSWER: I had tweaked it a bit. This is my office PC and there's not a lot of performance tweaking necesary for what I do. For gaming though, I understand completely what you're referring too!

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 5:41 AM   in reply to PCMILLS70

Hi Daniel

Shouls I try something similar in Acrobat 9.3?

Regards

Darryl

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to PCMILLS70

Excellent news! At least there is a viable work around.

• The  latest drivers from ATI might help with this OpenGL, but my hunch it may be an issue we will have to work with them on.
    • If you want to use certain features (eg 3D > Repousse ) it will require OpenGL. You do not need it for all of 3D but Photoshop CS5 and CS4 leverage the graphics display card's GPU, instead  of the computer's main processor (the CPU) to speed its screen redraw.
    • More on GPU: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

Let me know how it goes with the new driver.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 8:56 AM   in reply to darrylp@bigpond.net.au

Darryl,

You could try some of these steps. Are you experiencing a crash launching Acrobat with 4 monitors???

I would start searching here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/acrobat_windows

There is probably someone there more familar with those issues than me

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points