Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lacks Notifications

May 17, 2010 11:10 AM

I am impressed with CS Review but one thing its definitely lacking is notifications. After you invite somebody to the review (and they get their email) there are no further notifications when you add new parts or make changes or new comments. So you need to manually email your client or team member, telling them to check out the changes - which is cumbersome.

Maybe, I've missed this and its hidden away somewhere (because it seems pretty important) but if not, there really needs to be an option that lets you (preferably manually) notify reviewers of updates.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2010 1:29 PM   in reply to duke_duke

There is some metadata available that can help review participants keep track of when a review has last changed, but that doesn't provide specific details and (as you and others) have pointed out, it doesn't explicitly and pro-actively alert participants - they need to go and look to see if things have changed.

We have heard requests for additional/improved options for notifications, so you are not alone here.  FWIW we are looking at a variety of things to add/improve for future versions of CS Review, and this is the kind of thing that we would consider.

Thanks for your input, we welcome suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 5:50 AM   in reply to duke_duke

Yea that's a major issue for me too. It might even be a deal-breaker for some people. I don't even see a way from the acrobat screen that lists everything whether there is a change (although I might have missed it).

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    May 19, 2010 6:14 AM   in reply to David Herman - Adobe

Being a person who received 300-500 emails a day, I perfer to check for chgs to files directly in CS Review- it is faster and much more direct! One stop works for me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 6:14 AM   in reply to amsadowski

I support the request for a way of notifying a user that a file has been updated - CS Live Review has great potential and we're enjoying using it :-)

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    May 19, 2010 6:28 AM   in reply to Tourism Strategies

perhaps an on/off switch would work for those who want and those who don't???

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 7:21 AM   in reply to duke_duke

Thanks for the feedback! We're thinking about a few different ways to provide notifications. There is a fine line between a good system and bad one (annoying...in your face... bothersome... too many emails). Question for you folks- Do you have any favorite collaboration services, web sites, or applications that have a notification system that works really well for you and your peers? If so what do you like about them?

Mike Wallen

Principal Product Manager, CS Review

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 7:36 AM   in reply to Mike Wallen

What could be another option (if email doesn't work or a user doesn't want email notification) is a browser plugin for notification or have an AIR app developed which does this. As long as there is some way for users to be notified.

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    May 19, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to amsadowski

Like this idea!

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    May 20, 2010 9:00 AM   in reply to Katharine Gilbert

Please do not take this as a "smart" reply but what has happened to the direct contact- i.e. phone. As much as I hate the things and perfer email a live voice especially with a client who isn't half way around the world is often the best way to communicate in discussing ideas on work you are presenting. As much as I love to have everything I want in a software prog. sometimes too much is too much. Wonderful aspirations are great and 99% of the time they do work. Old saying "you can please some of the people some of the time but... not all the people all the time.

P.S. one thing I would love to see here is spell check- take it from one who can't and is a lousy typer... Thanks for letting me voice!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to amsadowski

deal breaker for sure! love the software. but without notifications.. it seems pointless.. I used Google Chrome to create an "Application Shortcut" for acrobat.com. I just leave it open. It goes to "sleep" but you can see the little red stars next to things that have unread comments. I see it as a second inbox. Seamless integration into google docs, gmail, and good calendar would be EPIC!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2010 7:59 PM   in reply to duke_duke

I've just started using from CS5 and am also finding this lack annoying as the reviewers can't find their way back to the site without the link being re-given. Doesn't save time if you have to keep sending emails manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to duke_duke

Just adding a me too. This should be a priority.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to Katharine Gilbert

You are the exception to the rule then. I use a grip of online "sharing/collaboration" tools and if they didn't notify me, I'd be logging in every

hour to all these sites to check - what a waste of my time!

When a client reviews something I want to know that minute so at my next convenience I can go and follow up!

Review is SWEEEEEET - but lack of notifcation is major - and obvious - fail.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2011 12:38 PM   in reply to duke_duke

It's been almost a year since this thread started and I don't see any sign of Notifications being implemented. I'm a new user of CS Review and could be mistaken but I can't find anything about it if it is now available.

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    Mar 25, 2011 1:17 PM   in reply to NVision4D-Rob

Not yet. Hopefully it is on the docket to impliment in the near future, but I still think clients like the fact that their designers contact them directly not via another source.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2011 1:26 PM   in reply to Katharine Gilbert

Katharine, the Desinger -> Client is only one relationship. There can be many within the Clients org that also update the system and it's not cute to require them to go through undulations to notify everyone.

Furthermore, if one is only a designer, they may have the time. I know that I am a very busy person and trying to manually notify everyone linked to particular project is pretty rediculous for it being 2011 and all.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    Mar 25, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to gishnetwork

being "only a designer" does not mean that time is unending.... we juggle many things within a given amount of space. I wear many hats as it sounds that you do also. Organization is part of that role and one that I take seriously!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2011 1:36 PM   in reply to Katharine Gilbert

Have to say though, this is a feature that has been asked for quite a lot and is an essential for making CS Review truly usable. I really can't understand why it would take a year to add this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Katharine Gilbert
    164 posts
    Apr 6, 2010
    Mar 25, 2011 2:29 PM   in reply to artdoggy

I concur!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2011 2:57 PM   in reply to artdoggy

I have to agree. I stopped using review for this very reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2011 10:13 AM   in reply to Mike Wallen

My model for the "right" way to handle email alerting is taken from what Microsoft does in SharePoint. They allow a lot of control over the frequency (immediate, daily, weekly digest), and over what "triggers" the alert (all changes, changes made by someone other than myself, changes that only would appear in a particular custom filtered "view" of the data, replies to stuff I posted, only when something new is added, etc.)

It's easy to use, and my users, many of whom are not particularly computer literate, have no trouble tuning it to fit their needs and have come to rely on it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to duke_duke

I have the same issue with lack of notification. Even if there wasn't constant notification for every comment and so on, it would be nice when certain functions are processed to  be able to choose to notify the reviews. For instance, when I'm doing a magazine layout, I upload the cover to get the approval process going while I'm working on other pages. Then add pages. It would be great if it would notify the reviewers when pages are added.

We've noticed when pages are deleted or added, the reviewer doesn't have to refresh the browser (this may be browser setting???). Is there a way a sound could also play when it automatically refreshes? Nothing as annoying as "you've got mail":) So far, when we use CS Live, it tends to get left up on the browser, so a short sound notification would be a reminder without having to deal with all the email.

Our company has used Yammer and it has possibilities. Internally everyone was onboard uploading the app. We haven't migrated to using CS Live for external customers, but I understand the apprehension mentioned above when considering our sales reps or customers having to download an app and figure it out.

Ideally, whatever route Adobe decides to go with, it would be appreciated if there are options to turn the notifications on and off.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points