Expand my Community achievements bar.

Digital signature will not work in Reader

Level 1

[Thread Edited By Adobe]

/*Don’t forget to meet and greet your fellow peers virtually by telling them about yourself here

Go ahead and to it now: https://adobe.ly/3eDnB4v */

Actual Question:

I need help I have been working on a new form I want to have digatally signed.  I add the digital signature box, in the test pdf it pulls in my digital certificates and works.  Once I save the form and try opening it with adobe reader 9 nothing happens when I click the signature block.  On the other hand when it is opened in adobe pro the signatures work.  I am saving the file as static and tried several combinations of options and nothing seems to work.  Can anybody give me some easy to follow instructions?  I am using version 8.  I appreciate any help.

6 Replies

Former Community Member

You cannot sign a PDF with Reader unless the PDF has been Reader Extended to enable digital signatures.  This can be done with Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES (server product) or Acrobat Pro (select Extend Features in Adobe Raeder from the Advanced menu)

Regards

Steve

Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the quick response.  That seems to have helped me out, however the sign document popup seems to be freezing.  I'll keep playing with the settings could just be Vista acting up.  Anyway thanks again.  I knew it had to be something simple.

Rick

Level 1

Would it be possible for you to please give a step by step on how to do

what your saying?  I am using version 8 pro and

i am able to sign the form just fine however the folks i sent it to cannot.

Thanks much

Level 1

That was the same problem I had. Basically all you have to do is once you build and save the form as a pdf is to open the pdf using Adobe Pro again then go to advanced and select enable usage rights in adobe reader, and save the pdf again. That will activate the extended capabilities for people using the reader, this also will enable users to save data in the form. Hope this helps, I went crazy looking for that.

Rich

Level 1

Thanks!  That sure did the trick!!!

reply to

MASTERKKLEIN1@YAHOO.COM

Level 2

I am having the same problem with signatures.  I am including a form in a pdf portfolio to collect signatures from different users who have Reader.  I make sure that features have been extended for reader. Most of the time they are okay.  But every once in a while (at least one every two weeks) I get a user telling me they can't sign.  No message or error of any kind, just a quick blink but no signature.  As a work-around I've had to save a copy and re-extend features.  This can be time consuming when there are a few documents I need to circulate.  Please advise.