Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5 autosave feature?

May 20, 2010 8:30 AM

Hi. Is there a way to set up Photoshop CS5 to periodically save my work? Thanks.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2010 8:32 AM   in reply to ac361

Nope. Just have to keep hitting save every once in a while so work is not lost.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 8:41 AM   in reply to ac361

Ctrl+S. Much quicker.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2010 8:44 AM   in reply to ac361

No, not built-in anyway.  The very fact that you're asking for such a feature is a sad testment to a new and unfortunately lower level of reliability that Photoshop has been exhibiting since CS4.

Perhaps with the complexity of the recent performance enhancements comes more problems; I've certainly noticed a difference.  I used to be able to edit for hours upon hours, on image after image, with CS3 and earlier versions.  Editing astroimagery is especially demanding, with sessions on one image running to hours.

Starting with CS4 I pretty much had to start Photoshop afresh for each new image I worked on.  I'm holding final judgement on CS5 until I use it a bit longer, but I've already seen enough failures (with OpenGL off as well) resulting in lost work to be redone to start to think that it's not as robust as it was a few versions ago.  Some may wonder whether my computer is at fault, but this workstation runs for weeks (essentially as long as it takes between Microsoft Updates that require reboots) without faults (and I use it heavily).  I'm a career software engineer and Windows sysadmin and I seriously doubt there's a Windows system that's set up or maintained better than this one.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 8:48 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I will say that this is something we are looking into for future releases of the software.  The problem with autosave is as the image gets bigger and bigger an autosave could severly hurt PS performance because we have to write the file to disk during a save.  So you would be working in PS and then with out warning PS would write 500MB to disk and PS's overall performance would suffer during the save.  I am not saying it is not a good request it is just a little more tricky than just auto save.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm not sure it's Photoshop. More a rising level of general complexity; causing more potential compatibility problems.

Incidentally, I have a third computer that I've kept out of active service because of seemingly random crashes out of nowhere, mostly in PS and ID. Ran beautifully for days - then BOOM.

Finally I got around to flashing the BIOS - and there hasn't been a problem since. I'm running the CS5 trial on it now, OpenGL and everything. The machine now acts as if it was born with Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 9:21 AM   in reply to ac361

All very good points.   Like I said we are looking into ways to address this in the future.  Now to be

clear I am not a Photoshop engineer, I am a Photoshop QE.  My intial thought was to have PS somehow save incrementally to the PSD so as to not have a huge disk write performance hit.  I suspect that would take some major work to the PSD file format to accomplish that.  Not saying it is impossible I am just saying it would take work.  Another thing that users have asked for in the past is the ability to run actions in the background.  While not the same exact problem as autosave they are akin.  These are all things we are investigating.   For now however the best solution is to hit ctrl S early and often.  You could also set up an action that you could assign a hot key to.  Just a thought.  Thanks for the input.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2010 9:24 AM   in reply to ac361

The history is in the temporary file (I think), and that file hangs around if Photoshop crashes...  How about something that would recover the history from that file?

And as far as it not being Photoshop, I am not experiencing a degradation of reliability of other apps.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 9:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Another option while not ideal is to set up PS to save out a detailed history log to the desktop.  See attach screen shot.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 9:49 AM   in reply to David Dobish

Interesting David, you bring this up. I have been trying to figure out a way to save the history of a stitching run such that the original files which comprise the stitch are identified in that history and the history follows the final output even if it has been renamed. I frequently save such a file to a different location, including one named Print, and if I decide to take another crack at it, I have lost that thread to the source.

I asked the question in the Bridge forum with no response.

Of course I can do all this manually in metadata, but since Edit History is already part of Metadata, this would save that step and much time as well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 2:58 PM   in reply to Hudechrome-sd9sPI

I like Noels idea......it's good practice to save regularly as crashes do happen and it can be very frustrating to lose hours of work....but, to be able to simply recover from the scratch disk file would be a useful facility.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 8:43 PM   in reply to ac361

I have developed a PsdAutoSave plugin which is available at http://www.electriciris.com/psdautosaver.html

You can set the frequency of how often it should save, the number of backups, etc. Here is peek at the settings of the plugin:

http://www.electriciris.com/settings.jpg

I'm pretty sure it will do the trick  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 11:25 PM   in reply to electriciris

I can limit work of your plugin depends of editing file size?

I mean.. I don't wanna autosave when I'm editing 500MB file, but I wish, when I'm editing 10MB file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 8:29 PM   in reply to Pussik

No , but that is a REALLY GOOD suggestion!  I will add that feature as soon as possible and let you know!

Update: Feature added. Try the new download

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2010 12:21 AM   in reply to ac361

OK I have it in CS3 x86.

Unfortunately I work in CS5 x64.

But.. I don't have any crashes of PS anyway.

Btw, when I'm choosing destinaton folder for history files, can I explore my windows by that kind of window?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7876/obrazekq.jpg   instead this tree:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8651/okienko3.jpg

Ps: I don't have this new option, which I can see on a video. I have 1.1 version of plugin, from here: http://www.electriciris.com/psdAutoSaverSetup1.1.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2010 10:55 AM   in reply to Pussik

Hi Pussik,

Please use the forums on electriciris.com for questions relating to psdautosaver. I don't want to abuse the Adobe forums

I've posted the answers to your questions there. Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 9:06 AM   in reply to ac361

Looks good but apperently not for CS5? http://autosave.cz/en/about-autosave.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2010 9:35 AM   in reply to ac361

"The autosave feature would be off by default; when users activate it, it  could give a warning that it will eat up processor time, memory, etc.  and affect performance. Then let the user determine whether to proceed  or not."

This is a MUST! Off by default. I don't want PS saving my files automatically and overwriting previous states before I decide it is ok.

On the other hand, instead of coding an autosave feature, they might want to have a check into making PS as stable as the older versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 1:10 AM   in reply to ac361

Hi,

Just a quick note to say, PSDAutoSaver for CS5 & CS4 (32 and 64 bit) has just been released: http://www.electriciris.com/

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 1:20 PM   in reply to David Dobish

David Dobish wrote:

I will say that this is something we are looking into for future releases of the software.  The problem with autosave is as the image gets bigger and bigger an autosave could severly hurt PS performance because we have to write the file to disk during a save.  So you would be working in PS and then with out warning PS would write 500MB to disk and PS's overall performance would suffer during the save.  I am not saying it is not a good request it is just a little more tricky than just auto save.

Yes, but there are many ways to accomplish what we're asking for here. Simply saving the entire file every X minutes (user-specified) and notifying the user that Photoshop is saving their file in the background would really eliminate most of the headaches associated with the temporary slowdown. The same way you're asking us to save the file every so often, we're simply asking Photoshop to do it for us. It's NOT complicated. Even 15 minutes of work between crashes can be annoying (and costly) if it's happening 2-3 times a week.

electriciris wrote:

I have developed a PsdAutoSave plugin which is available at http://www.electriciris.com/psdautosaver.html

You can set the frequency of how often it should save, the number of backups, etc. Here is peek at the settings of the plugin:

http://www.electriciris.com/settings.jpg

I'm pretty sure it will do the trick  

THANK YOU. David, this is what I'm talking about. Would it have killed someone on your development team to do something like this? Again, we're showed that the real value of the exorbitant price of Photoshop is the community support, not Adobe itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to torsnow1

saving their file in the background

Go to moon, pick up rock, how hard can that be?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 3:13 PM   in reply to ac361

just to say a quick hello and thanx on your great effort. you guys helped me a lot. jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 8:22 PM   in reply to ac361

Hi all,

The advantage of third party plugins such as psdAutoSave is that they (usually) work with more than just the latest version of Photoshop.  PsdAutoSaver works with Photoshop 7 on up, all the way to CS5.

PsdAutoSaver is Windows-only for now, but a  Mac version is in the works, and will be released hopefully end of September.  It would be sooner, but I'm taking a badly needed vacation

Also, just to help anyone still on the fence, the price of PsdAutoSaver (and SliceMaster) have been dropped to $10 each.  http://www.electriciris.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 31, 2010 7:10 AM   in reply to electriciris

I don't mean to be a pain, but is it okay to peddle commercial software here?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2010 7:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Theoretically no as it's against the Adobe.com terms of use which you agreed to when you made your account. That said, i don't have a problem with it as long as it's on-topic and it's not done too often.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2010 4:11 PM   in reply to ac361

No autosave? That's crazy. I'm crushed. I can get past not having flying cars and robot house keepers, but not having autosave is cruel, barbaric, inept. I do almost all of my writing in OneNote and Final Draft, apps that make it almost impossible to lose work. Software that protects creative labor against the dark evil of data loss is something to be admired.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to ac361

How about making an action or a popup that comes on at a user-specified time interval which prompts to save or not? Simple and easy, and a good idea.

I have some friends who work in 3D animation who made an independant app that does that for the OS, pops up a dialogue that just says "SAVE!!!!" every 5 minutes.

Would be nice to have something like that that autolaunches w/ PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 7:33 PM   in reply to RadhaMadhava108

Found one!

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1064

Someone with the same brilliant idea did an applescript that does just that for PS!!

Woohoo!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 2, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to RadhaMadhava108
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

RadhaMadhava108 wrote:

applescript

And this helps how?  Keep in mind Windows users are reading this.

Honestly, I can't think of much more frustrating than to have Photoshop just stop and spend time saving my document while I'm trying to work interactively.  If an autosave could be made completely non-intrusive that would be one thing, but given that some larger/multi-layer documents can take quite a long time to save, I'd have to say a script solution would be impractical to live with.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2011 10:23 PM   in reply to ac361

This is autosave program 'Photoshop autosave'

It's all Free and Portable. Autosave and Backup files. Support Photoshop,Painter,Manga Studio

It's free but you can buy me a beer ;->

supported(tested) Photoshop CS3/4/5 and Painter 9/11

broken.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/pautosave/home

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to ac361

Keyboard: Ctrl S   ...Often.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 2:15 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Very rude comment.  Seems to be the standard from the employees here after what I've seen the past few days of viewing the forums.  Comparing an autosave feature to going to the moon is just wrong.  Also, obviously if there's multiple plugins from different people out there, it can't be that hard and is doable.  Just another example of Adobe being more concerned about things like piracy and useless features no one will ever use, just to add them to the feature list, rather than providing basic features that should have been there from the beginning.  Heck, even Microsoft includes autosave in their programs, if they can do it anyone can.  Oh, and can we say OS X case-sensitive file system support?  What a joke, that is something that any decent company should be able to pull off, guess the anti-piracy measures trump the useful features though!  Here's a tip, anti-piracy crap doesn't work, they will always win.  Make it useful and full of features, and have good support and we'll keep coming back for every upgrade.

After having Photoshop CS5(.5?) crash on me four times tonight, not even doing anything intensive, but ZOOMING IN and OUT on a 1920x1080 black and white, single layer image, I am returning this piece of garbage software today.  So much for being the 'best out there.'  Oh and if anyone from Adobe even cares, I am returning it NOT because of the software being buggy, the Third-Party autosave plugins at least made that manageable.  I am returning it because of the crap support I get over the phone, as well as the condesending, rude employees who post here.  Say goodbye to another CS5.5 Master Collection purchaser.

Oh, and ironically every time I have run across rude, condesending employees, Chris Cox is involved.  Adobe, do yourselves a favor and stop allowing him to post.

Rant over, TLDR:  You lost another customer due to crappy support, rude employees and the inability to add simple features that would improve the usefulness of your software.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 31, 2011 5:46 AM   in reply to simmonsjeffrey

simmonsjeffrey wrote:

After having Photoshop CS5(.5?) crash on me four times tonight, not even doing anything intensive, but ZOOMING IN and OUT

You might want to update your display driver.  What video card do you have?  That Photoshop uses the GPU through OpenGL does mean that the display driver needs to be rock solid, and unfortunately many aren't.

Usually the best thing to do is to go to the web site of the maker of the video card, download the latest driver for your hardware, and install it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 5:54 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thank you for the tip, however I am on OS X.  We don't really have to mess around with drivers, whatever comes with the latest update is what we use.  Ever since getting CS5, I have had odd issues like this.  It will be fine for hours, then all of a sudden will crash repeatedly for no reason.  It's extremely frustrating, but goes away after a few times.  Regardless, it's unacceptable, and Adobe phone support is extremely unhelpful, so I'm just going to return it and go back to Gimp which did everything I needed, I just wanted the "name brand" stuff .  Once again, thank you for the suggestion.

Edit:  Oh, and in case there IS some sort of problem with my specific video card (unlikely, otherwise it'd be reported much more on these forums I'm sure), I have the Nvidia GeForce 9400M in my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro, running Snow Leopard with latest update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 6:03 AM   in reply to simmonsjeffrey

simmonsjeffrey wrote:

...Comparing an autosave feature to going to the moon is just wrong...

I seriously doubt that you are saying this from the perspective of a software engineer that has intimate knowledge of the program.

simmonsjeffrey wrote:

...I am returning this piece of garbage software today. ...Say goodbye to another CS5.5 Master Collection purchaser.

There are trials that one can freely download to test the software prior to spending money. Perhaps you would not be so grumbly if you had not paid yet.

simmonsjeffrey wrote:

Thank you for the tip, however I am on OS X.  We don't really have to mess around with drivers, whatever comes with the latest update is what we use.

You are in a Windows forum. There is a forum dedicated to Photoshop for Mac here. That forum may help you better understand your platform and the obstacles Adobe has had to deal with to keep up with Apple's schizophrenic development roadmap. 

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points