Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash Player 10 - repeated installations

May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Win 7 (Starter) on a new Acer Aspire One 532. My main (and only) login id is for me which also has admin. privileges.

However I have to repeatedly install Flash Player 10 in order to view clips on YouTube, BBC and my own web site.

Once installed - via the Adobe Download Manager - all clips play OK. If I close the lid and the netbook hibernates, and then when I open it up again, all is well.

However if there is a Windows update, or if I do a restart / reboot, Flash Player gets 'uninstalled,' or maybe Win 7 just 'forgets' that it has been installed. Then I have to go through the whole download process to re-reinstall it until the next time.

Actually this is only for IE8.

I have tried downloading other versions for Opera, Safari, Chrome and Foxfire - and the installation(s) remain permanent.

Flash Player is the only application that exhibits this behaviour. But I do use it a lot. All other apps. once installed seem to remain available for use without fail.

So why is Flash Player with IE8 such a problem, and what can I do to 'fix' its installation once and for all?

Thank you - Chris Brady.

P.S. I have uninstalled McAfee because it was causing lots of problems. I now use MS Security Essentials.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add that I have also raised this issue on various Acer forums and also on MS Answers - but no-one has bothered to respond. Par for the course I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the first thing I would check is the Shockwave Flash Object. Using IE, go to manage add ons and be sure to use All add ons and find that. This is the ActiveX Control....Flash10e.ocx (version 10.0.45.2) and needs to be listed that way and Enabled. If it is not Enabled, then Enable it.

If that is already Enabled when you check it, then even though you aren't having any problem with your other browsers,

that does not mean all of your Flash files are correct.

Is your operating system a 64bit? I need this info since the location of your Flash files are not the same as a 32bit.

On McAfee, did you just remove it from Programs and Features or use the Removal Tool? It is very difficult to remove from a system since it invades files you probably don't even know you have:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help and support.

I only have one user id on the netbook - me with full Admin. privs.

The OS is 32-bit Win 7 (Starter).

So quite awhile ago I removed McAfee using the special removal app. Its all went. Then after removing McAfee I also ran the special rereg.cmd file from MS which re-registers the IE8 dlls that McAfee screwed up.

I now use MS Security Essentials.

Also I've again checked IE8 and Shockplayer is indeed Enabled and the version is correct.

When installed FP 10 works fine. But when I have to reboot / restart it seems to get uninstalled from IE8. Then both my own web site, and YouTube and the BBC etc. all complain that its missing. (I can't install an earlier version, e.g. 9, 'cos then they also complain that its not the latest).

But Flash Player 10 for Chrome, Foxfire, Opera, and Safari - all work OK. They have remained installed for quite a while, and they're always there and work as expected.

I think that this is actually an IE8 issue, but MS on the Answers Forum(s) have not replied. And searching the web I can't find any other similar instances.

Acer Customer Support suggested a full diskless re-install of Win 7 etc. at a cost of £75 (for the CD) - then flagged my post as 'solved.' Then they suggested installing IE9 - until I pointed out that this was likely still in beta (if at all). Again they flagged this as a solution.

However I did do a Factory Reinstall - that is I restored the OS from a special partition on the hard-drive that took everything back to an out-of-box situation - at least I think I did. Acer have a System Recovery / Restore feature which seemed to take everything back to start. (I saved all my data files on a flash drive before hand!!).

Then I reinstalled Flash Player 10 - yet again. But none of the above problem.

Chris Brady

P.S. I'm also having problems with Media Player 12 - it gives a 'Server Execution Failure' every time I try and play a file with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, Thanks for the information. Just confirm that the add on in IE is "Shockwave Flash Object". You mentioned Shockwave Player, which also has an ActiveX Control, but it is not the one that is for Flash Player. 2 Different things.

Since IE8 is the browser you are having a problem with regarding Flash Player, I would like you to check your Flash Player files. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  Right click on the Flash folder and post back all files listed. The files NPSWF32.dll and NPSWF32_flashUtil.exe are not IE, so you need to right click on each of those and then click on properties in order to obtain the version numbers.  Let's make sure your Flash Player files are correct.

Since you reinstalled the OS, what of Flash Player is now installed? Are you still having the problem with IE?

I don't agree with installing IE9, as that is not a solution. However, sometimes if you have tried to, and then try to install

FP 10, there is a problem. Let me know if you had IE9 on and then uninstalled it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Thank you for your reply. In IE8 the items Enabled are:

Shockwave Flash Object # Enabled # 27/01/2010 01:58 # 10.0.45.2

get_altlcom # Class # Enabled # 29/03/2010 08:52 # 1.6.2.63

Since the 'big' re-install of the Win 7 (Starter) OS back to 'out-of-box' I have re-installed Flash Player 10 and the problem with IE8 and FP10 persists, but for all other browsers is OK. That is no change.

No I didn't try IE9 - 'cos I think its still in beta - and I don't do anything in beta.

Attached is a zipped folder of files in /Macromed

Thanks again for your help -

Chris Brady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, the zipped folder of the Flash files did not post. However, it appears your problem with IE8 is the add on get_atlcom Class 1.6.2.63. I don't think you can remove/delete it with IE8. So, go to Programs and Features and see if DLM(download manager) and or getPlus is listed. Right click and remove both and then Reboot your computer.

Then using IE8, check and see if that get_atlcom has been removed from your add ons.

Flash Player 9 is not in beta, but you don't want to install it anyway, glad you didn't try that.

If you like, you can send a screenshot of your Flash files, but wait to see if the above solves your Flash Player/IE8 issue.

Let me know on the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your response and suggestion. In IE8 I disabled get_atlcom Class 1.6.2.63 Then I did a reboot and checked again - and it had gone. Not sure why or how. Then I tried YouTube and all worked OK. For the first time Flash Player 10 did not disappear - and it worked OK. I'm going to do more tests to see if the get_atlcom Class 1.6.2.63 comes back. I also checked on my XP laptop and that file is not there. I wonder where it came from? But there's a correlation between it disappearing and all being well. Hmm - curious. Thanks again - Chris B. P.S. I have attached a screen shot of /Macromed/Flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also just Checked Programs and Features and DLM (download manager) and getPlus were not listed. Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nuts. I have done nothing except send a few emails with Yahoo and IE8. But then IE8 froze and I had to close it from Task Manager. Then when I restarted it it reconnected and brought up the original sessions. I checked YouTube for Flash Player 10 and it had gone. I checked to see if it was still Enabled in Tools / Manage Addons and it wasn't there. Then I checked in Programs and Features and Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin and ActiveX 10.0.45.2 were both listed. But I hadn't rebooted the OS this time. Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, the screenshots didn't come through. Without knowing what files are in your Flash folder, it is hard to say what may be causing this. That get_atlcom comes with the install of Flash Player along with the use of the Download Manager.

If I were you I would use the Uninstaller here and download it to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then download the Flash Player Installer for Internet Explorer to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Also download the Flash Player Installer for Firefox(and all other browsers) to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Once you have those on your Desktop, then make sure any applications that use Flash(check you system tray) are disabled, have your IE Internet Options for security set to Medium, close all browsers and then use the Uninstaller. Reboot and when fully rebooted, Reboot(restart) again.

Then Run the Installer for IE and Reboot Once.

Then Run the Installer for Firefox(and other browsers) and Reboot Once.

You need to do this, since the Uninstaller will remove all Flash Player files from IE and all other browsers.

After the Installs are done, then check your IE for the Shockwave Flash Object vs Flash10e.ocx and enabled, check Firefox for the SWF vs 10.0.45.2 and enabled.

Check the websites and post back the results. If all is not working as it should be, then I'll need to know the Flash files that are listed in the Flash folder. You can just type them in your post.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Am getting there. I have downloaded all necessary installation files.

Here are the files in the Macrodmed/Flash directory (before I do an uninstall):

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

15/05/2010 17:40

15/05/2010 17:40

27/01/2010 01:58 3,981,080 Flash10e.ocx

27/01/2010 01:52 856 flashplayer.xpt

27/01/2010 01:58 256,280 FlashUtil10e.exe

15/05/2010 17:40 36,389 install.log

27/01/2010 02:07 3,884,312 NPSWF32.dll

27/01/2010 02:07 256,280 NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe

15/05/2010 17:40 84,507 uninstall_activeX.exe

09/05/2010 10:43 84,661 uninstall_plugin.exe

8 File(s) 8,584,365 bytes

2 Dir(s) 209,261,342,720 bytes free

Now I need to follow your instructions to do an uninstall / reinstall.

Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, thanks. Your Flash files are all correct, both for IE and Firefox(and other browsers). Now before you Uninstall and Install again, check in the All add ons for IE for Shockwave Flash Object (not Shockwave Player) ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx(vs 10.0.45.2) and make sure it's enabled.

Using Firefox, look in plug-ins for the SWF version 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is listed and enabled.

If both the SFO for IE and the SWF for Firefox is as I have listed, then all Flash Player files and the 2 addons are correct and in my opinion there is no need to Uninstall/Install.

Post back as soon as you can.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - this is what I did:

1. downloaded both versions of FP 10 and Uninstaller

2. uninstalled FP 10 - using Uninstaller, then rebooted, then restarted

2a. checked IE and Firefox - Shockwave Flash Add-on/Plugin was not listed

3. ran Installer for I.E. (checked Manage Add-ons - Shockwave Flash was listed), websites with Flash videos ran OK, then rebooted, then restarted

4. checked IE Manage Add-ons - Shockwave Flash was not listed, websites reported it missing, files were still in /Macromed/Flash

5. ran Installer for Firefox (checked Add-ons/Plugins - Shockwave Flash was listed), websites with Flash videos ran OK, then rebooted, then restarted

6. checked websites again with Firefox - again all OK.

7. checked /Macromed/Flash - all files present - as listed previously

It is apparent that the rebooting / restarting of the OS Win7 (Starter) is causing IE8 to 'lose' FP 10 as an Add-on. However the files remain.

Chris Brady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, Well, it appears you have done everything correctly. For some reason the Shockwave Flash Object is being removed as you say after rebooting.

I would like you to go to Tools, click on Internet Options, click on Settings, click on View Objects. If you see a gp.ocx and or gp.inf listed, then right click and Remove them.

You can also do a Search and enter in the section "all or part of the file name" getplus, find the location  of any listings and remove them.

You had used the Download Manager and even tho you disabled the get_atlcom Class, there are also those 2 above files that may still be there.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - again thanks for your help.

This is what I found:

IE8 # Tools # Internet Options # Browsing History # Settings # View Objects

Objects:

CONFLICT.1 25/04/2010 File folder

FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER 26/01/2010 15:59 Application

LegitCheckControl 25/06/2009 11:51 Setup Information

QTPlugin 05/09/2009 01:49 Setup Information

wrc32.ocx 27/04/2010 11:50 ActiveX control

========

CONFLICT.1 25/04/2010 File folder - this contains:

FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER 26/01/2010 15:59 Application

swflash 26/01/2010 15:50 Setup Information

========

No sign of anything like gp.ocx and or gp.inf listed

Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, ok thanks. I don't have any of those listed in my View Objects. I don't use IE8, so when I go to View Objects I don't have anything as "browsing history". Mine is just Tools>Internet Options>Settings>View Objects. When you opened that last window "View Objects", did it say Downloaded Program Files? Also I have Java listed in View Objects.

Don't forget to use the Search function that I posted previously for getplus. Don't search for gp.ocx or gp.inf, just enter

getplus. Sometimes those two files are listed in view objects and sometimes they are not. So you need to find them elsewhere.

The reason I'm having you look for these is the fact that you used the Download Manager and these files are installed and even if you previously removed the DLM from programs and features the get_atlcom wasn't. These are capable of conflicting with the Shockwave Flash Object that you are having an issue with.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - the saga continues - you said

Don't forget to use the Search function that I posted previously for getplus. Don't search for gp.ocx or gp.inf, just enter

getplus. Sometimes those two files are listed in view objects and sometimes they are not. So you need to find them elsewhere.

OK - I searched and there was nothing with gp or get or plus or getplus. It a fairly clean machine 'cos its brand new so the search was alomost instantaneous.

BTW IE8 was pre-installed and still has the default settings.

My only thoughts are that the pre-installed McAfee 60-day trial upset the registrations of IE8 dlls. Apparently MS has issued a special rereg.cmd file to re-register the dlls upset by McAfee and Norton. McAfee has now well gone from my machine, but it may have left some corruption behind.

Maybe what I need to do is to uninstall IE8 and then reinstall it?

Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, thanks for searching. Sometimes when a problem exists and cannot be readily identified, we try to confirm what might be the cause. So we eliminate this or that.

Since you have the correct Flash files installed and had the correct add on for the Flash Player in IE, then we have to look at other possible issues.

Now, this would be adblocks/pop up blockers/other add ons, Anti-Virus/Firewall programs, etc.

You listed a "swflash.ocx" that was in your View Objects. This tells me that this is also listed in your IE add ons,is it?

That should not be there unless you installed a very old Flash Player version.

I don't think IE8 is your problem at this time. There are several other issues going on and we need to take care of those first, since it wouldn't matter what version of IE you are using.

1. Norton-Is this on your System? Did you use the Norton Removal Tool? Is there any Norton add on in IE?

2. The "swflash.ocx" that you found in the View Objects- Is this listed in your IE add ons?

3. What are your security settings for the Internet Zone?

4. McAfee- Did you use the McAfee Removal Tool?

I would not be concerned about MS and the .dlls of McAfee & Norton. There is a proper way to make sure these programs

are completely removed from your system and we need to make sure that has been done.

Please keep in mind the questions I ask are to address the problem of Shockwave Flash Object. The .dlls are not involved in my opinion since you had no problem installing the ActiveX Control, which does write to the Registry.

Until we can find out what is causing your problem with the SFO it would be best not to make any changes to your system.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers highlighted below as ###.

*Now, this would be adblocks/pop up blockers/other add ons,

Anti-Virus/Firewall programs, etc.*

1. Only MS Security Essentials is installed

*You listed a "swflash.ocx" that was in your View Objects.

This tells me that this is also listed in your IE add ons,is

it?*

1. No it is not listed as an Add-on

*That should not be there unless you installed a very old

Flash Player version.*

1. Not applicable, its a brand new netbook

*1. Norton-Is this on your System? Did you use the Norton

Removal Tool? Is there any Norton add on in IE?*

1. Norton is not installed. It is not an Add-on

*2. The "swflash.ocx" that you found in the View Objects-

Is this listed in your IE add ons?*

1. Its not listed as an Add-on

3. What are your security settings for the Internet Zone?

1. Medium

4. McAfee- Did you use the McAfee Removal Tool?

1. Yes, it was removed with McAfee tool

Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, Something is conflicting with IE8. It is either an add on in IE or something of Norton. Did you install Norton after removing McAfee and before installing MSE? How did you Uninstall Norton?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My security s/w is MS Security Essentials. Norton was not installed afaiaa. There is no mention of it when I do a search. McAfee was removed using their special tool. The only other Adobe add-on I have is Adobe PDF Linker Helper.

Interestingly with all the messing around I see that right now IE8 has the add-on Shockwave Flash Object Enabled. However when I browse a YouTube / BBC / mysite <chrisbrady.itgo.com> - all the pages complain that Flash is not installed even though it is.

The pages all work OK with Chrome / Firefox etc.

CJB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CJ, thanks again. The reason I mentioned Norton was because you did in Post#18. So now the SWO is listed? This is really a puzzle.

If you don't want to post all of your IE add ons, then what you could do is Disable all of them except the SWO. Then try those sites and if they work, then one of the add ons is conflicting. Then you would Enable one at a time, check the website, until you find the one that is conflicting.

Also if that doesn't solve it, then I can give you the Microsoft toll free number for IE8 issues.

That is really all I know to suggest to you. Flash Player is a browser plug-in and any add on to the browser will either be a positive or a negative.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - Shockwave Flash Object only appeared Enabled but not working once. When I rebooted it went away again and did not appear in IE8 Add-ons until I re-installed FP10 (from the downloaded exe file).

I may be able to get a listing of the Add-ons if I take a screen shot and then OCR the image.

I can certainly disabled them all one at a time and see what happens.

I really dont want to re-install IE8 'cos typically it is embedded in Win 7 the OS.

I have found out that there is a full version of FP that can be downloaded as a zip file - it is 40MB. I could try installing that.

Others have opined that the issue is one with the conflicting registration of dll/ocx files in the regsitry. However I don't want to mess around with the registry at this stage.

I have also searched the Adobe forums and also other forums and there seems to be lots of issues with FP10 and IE7/8. I guess that's where the problems lie - they are basically incompatible.

Chris B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks CJ. A screenshot would be great. The thing about add ons is some will not only conflict with the browser, but each other. So that is why I need to see what is there.

The Disabling of all add ons except the SWO(when and if it appears) is to Disable All of them. Then check your sites, then Enable just one and check the website, then Enable one more and check your website, etc. This way you will know which one is conflicting. I had to do this last year and it is the easiest way. In my case it was one website that would only work if I Disabled the Shockwave Flash Object:-), try to figure that out!

I agree, I wouldn't Uninstall IE8 at all. I'm sure MS has a way, but with it installed in the OS, I don't know how it would be done. We'll use the MS contact number as a final solution.

The 40MB zip of Flash Player would not make a difference. You already have all of the correct Flash Player files installed & the SWF. This issue is the SWO in IE. This would complicate matters in my opinion. We have one issue and that's the SWO, I wouldn't add to it.

The experts on the Registry from MS states that beginning with XP, there is no need to use Registry Cleaners, so I don't tamper with the Registry either, seeing there are more than 3,000 entries. Even Adobe in their guides have special instructions for people that have used the Registry Cleaners and state they can cause more harm regarding Flash Player.

So, that is my opinion on that. Some old versions of Flash Player may have needed to make a Registry Adjustment due to a change in vs 5 to vs 6 and above, but we are on version 10. Be careful implementing Registry change advice. I would only do that on the advice of a MS Tech and then I'd need it explained first:-)

I know there are issues with FP10 and IE7 and IE8. However, Microsoft added restrictions to what a user can do with IE7 and when IE8 came out, added more restrictions and this has nothing to do with Flash Player. Adobe says FP needs to add the ActiveX Control(SWO) into the IE browser and write to the Windows Registry. Microsoft says, wait a minute, well ok you can do that but only under our(MS) restrictions. So a user must comply with the IE requirements. Then the Anti-Virus programs come in and say they will block all ActiveX installs and these are the components that will do that. Then the Firewalls come in. So you see a lot of variables are in play. Navigating around the road blocks is what troubleshooting is about.Ok, I'm off my soap box now:-)

By the way, do you have Real Player installed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines