Skip navigation
jamesturner@ucla.edu
Currently Being Moderated

X & Y axis on tablet inverted in 270° screen rotation (CS5)

May 18, 2010 9:13 AM

Hey all,

I'm trying to use Illustrator CS5 (as well as Photoshop CS5) on my Lenovo X61 Tablet (running Windows 7 32 bit) in 270° screen rotation (I think this is called secondary portrait mode in windows?), but my X and Y cursor positions are inverted. This means if my stylus is on the left half of the screen, my cursor will be on the right side, the same distance away from the right border as my stylus is from the left. Likewise if my stylus is somewhere in the top half of the screen, the cursor will be somewhere in the bottom half of the screen, the same distance from the bottom border as the stylus is from the top. The only time the cursor and stylus positions match is in the dead center of the screen.

The stylus is working properly in other applications in this screen rotation, including InDesign CS5 (the only other Adobe product I've tried with this), just not in Illustrator or Photoshop. I'm guessing this is a bug related to Adobe interpreting the wacom data instead of the Windows UI (for pressure sensitivity, buttons, etc.), but if anyone has encountered this and has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2010 9:45 AM   in reply to jamesturner@ucla.edu

James,

It sounds like a deviation amounting to a 180°rotation. What happens if you use it in 90°instead of 270°?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:45 PM   in reply to jamesturner@ucla.edu

James,

What happens if you set the Edit>Preferences>General>Constrain Angle to 180°?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 9:06 AM   in reply to jamesturner@ucla.edu

James,

I am sorry there seems to be no solution, apart from the silly one of turning the tablet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 12:33 PM   in reply to jamesturner@ucla.edu

You are welcome, James.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to jamesturner@ucla.edu

I know that I am late to the races but I am hoping to save someone else a painful headache. My stylus worked fine on the X axis, right to left. The Y axis was inverted. When my stylus was high on the tablet the cursor was down. I work on two monitors so the mapping area was also constrained proportionally leaving me with a non responsive area on my tablet.

I tried changing Hex Keys, installing latest drivers, rebooting, changing brush preferences, drop-kicking the computer box, threatening it with magnets, swearing... to no avail. I found that if I went into the Start Menu/ All Programs/ Wacom Tablet/ Wacom Tablet Preference File Utility; under All user Preferences; click 'Remove', my stylus began responding correctly immediately. 

I hope this helps someone.

Adobe Photoshop CS5

WIN XP64

Wacom Intuos4 PTK-640

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers