Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Newby, CS5, File Structure

May 20, 2010 5:20 PM

I'm old with Photoshop and new with Video editing. On CS5 Production Premium, Windows. What's the best approach to managing my files/folders? No matter what I set, the system seems to default to ...Documents/Adobe/Premiere/5.0. Can I change this, and if so, what do you suggest?

Also, I'm not getting the yellow line, instead of the red line, indicating rendering needed. My new computer with Raid 0 is handling things very well, even with the red line, but why don't I get the yellow line, even when using the accelerated effects etc? Is it because I don't have one of the 4 recommended video cards (I have NVidia, GTX Geoforce 260.

Thanks

kdoc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to kdoc2

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to kdoc2

Kdoc,

As of CS4, there have been a few changes regarding the Project files.

In general terms, I keep my Projects and their files together. For ultimate performance, it's probably not ideal, but helps with housekeeping.

Here's my structure:

Client's folder

Project folder(s) with the Project file (PRPROJ)

Videos (Copies of Video Assets) - this is one place where there might be a slowdown

Audio (all Audio files) - this is one place where there might be a slowdown

Music (all music files)

SFX (all SFX files)

Stills (Copies of all still files used)

Capture Files

Scratch Disks (established in Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks) - this is one place where there might be a slowdown

Finished AVI's

Finished AC3's

As of CS4, there will be some files placed in My Documents. I cannot tell you exactly which files will be there. IIRC, one could change the OS Environment to route these elsewhere.

As for red, green or yellow lines, if one has source footage, that is good to go, but just does not quite match the Sequence Preset, one gets a yellow line. For source footage, that requires Rendering for the smoothest playback, one gets a red line. For Rendered footage, or footage that is perfect, and does not need Rendering, one has a green line.

Now, Rendering is for smoothest playback, and I do many Projects, that are never Rendered. OTOH, I have some, where I might Render a segment 30 times, as I work with animation, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 7:30 PM   in reply to kdoc2

look in edit-preferences to change your media cache

files from c drive to whatever.

As far as other scratch drives, that is in project settings. I would use at leat 3 drives. 1. os. 2. media . 3. rendered files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 7:08 AM   in reply to kdoc2

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 7:58 AM   in reply to John T Smith

When you make a new project you tell

Premiere where to put the project.

You browse for a new location in the new project window.

new project.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points