Skip navigation
MarieClaire89
Currently Being Moderated

How to make the Flash Catalyst swf for multimedia cd?

May 22, 2010 4:36 AM

I used Flash Catalyst for a multimedia cd. Now I have to make it autorun so that it opens the main.swf automatically when someone puts in the cd.

I found out how to make the .html file autorun but I would like to know if I can do something with the .swf to make it autorun. Is it possible, since it is not .exe?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2010 5:24 PM   in reply to MarieClaire89

Hello,

Here's what you can do. First, create a Projector file with your swf. A Projector just bundles your .swf with the Flash Player in the form of a native application (.app or .exe, depending on your platform).

1. Open your Main.swf with the Flash Player on your system. Right click your swf, open with, Flash Player.
    2. In the Flash Player File menu, choose Create Projector, and choose a name for your your Projector.

Then you can create your autorun CD. If you are just working with Windows, you can do that via the autorun.inf file. Here's an article covering how to do it for both Macs and PCs:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/133/tn_13374.html

Note that Flash Authoring can create these projectors for you from your .swfs as well. Under the publish settings you can pick "Mac Projector" and "Windows Projector".

-Bear

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 2:58 AM   in reply to Bear Travis

Bear - It was so helpful for me. Thanks a lot!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2010 4:44 PM   in reply to MarieClaire89

MarieClaire89,

Links to the web should work in a "projector" -- since it's running natively it is not subject to the normal Flash Player's security sandbox.

I've attached a simple test application that can do this.  If you open this in Catalyst, publish it, then follow Bear's steps above (using either the run-local or deploy-to-web copy of the .swf), you should get a native application (.exe or .app package).  If you then run the native application and click the button, it will open cnn.com in your browser.

(Be sure you do launch the native application, though -- if you just keep running the .swf that you launched in Bear's steps, that will still be subject to the local/web security restrictions).

- Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2011 3:40 PM   in reply to MarieClaire89

If you dont mind using swfkitpro 3.5. It works like charm. Not stress. It can publish flash pro, catalyst and Flex swf  files to .exe. It can also build an installer for you if you want. It's so good. Try it. I have tested it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points