Skip navigation

Adobe Photoshop CS5 has stopped working (Win 7, 64 bit)

Jan 3, 2012 11:16 AM

Latest reply: sergiu.mihu, Jan 14, 2013 2:17 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2010 2:43 PM   in reply to Daniel Presedo

Thanks Daniel, I'll do that.

No, I'm not using four monitors but two.

It's seriously weird because if I don't try and change the title of the PDF I'm trying to save and allow Acrobat to select its own title, all is good.

However, if I try and make any change, then the application from which I'm printing crashes as does Acrobat!

Regards

Darryl

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 6:09 AM   in reply to GJWS

Hi,

I've had this issue with CS4 & CS5. This is the workaround I have used both times.

The down side is (as has been said) some scripts will not work - one that springs to mind is resizing and saving of images.

My system is 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT's (512MB) running 4 monitors.

Thanks again for the post!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 9:51 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Has the ScriptingSupport.8LI issue been fixed?  I had to disable it in PS 64 and when I want to use scripts, i always have to change to 32.

Paul O

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2010 8:51 PM   in reply to GJWS

AWESOME GJWS!!!!!     I have been having exactly the same problem with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (multiple installs in new New Drive)  and the first program I have installed is the Photoshop CS5 Extended.  I kept getting the same error message every body else is getting.  I have two NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with the SLI bridge connected. I disconnected the SLI bridge and tried to update the drivers with no luck.  I think the 8800 might not be 64 bit compatible.  ...     Anyway...

Your solution worked!!!!  I disabled the "ScriptingSupport.8li" file, started Photoshop and it WORKED!!!!!

Thanks!!!!  I trully appreciate it!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 7:41 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

I have had the same issue - fresh install of WIndows 7 64 bit, fresh install of CS5 Master Suite, 4 monitors running from 2 nVidia cards. I solved *all* the issues by switching my primary monitor in Windows Preferences (the "resolution" settings window). Once I moved my primary monitor to the default primary monitor (the one that is active during boot-up), instead of the secondary card - all issues were fixed. Photoshop opened up on the "new" primary monitor - but didn't crash. Illustrator and Bridge now work as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

I'm having the same issue - CS5 x64 and x32 are both crashing as soon as they start-up!

Details:

It was working fine with 4 monitors, using two ATI Radeon HD 5670's (1GB ram).  It started when I replaced one of the old DELL LCD's with a new Viewsonic LED LCD.

Using:

Window7 x64

12 GB RAM

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

Renaming ScCore.dll to to ScCoreBAK.dll allowed photoshop to open for me.

Also removing the plugin file Ai complains about from its folder allows it to start though it does produce an error.

All my Adobe apps are bonkers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 12:24 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

I too had the same problem with Photoshop CS5.  The app opened OK but when I opened a picture (.jpg) or tried to start a new pic I received the dreaded Photoshop has stopped working.

My Application log pointed to an NVidia driver nvoglv64.dll. I downloaded the latest driver. didn't help.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit with 6Gig RAM

I called Adobe support... after avoiding the "lets reinstall the application"  I was coached through starting the application and selecting edit, preferences, performance to get to memory usage. It was set to 63% of my RAM. I was told to move the slider up to 75%. I had to do this with both the 32bit version and the 64bit version.

It is now working fine.

hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 1:40 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

I have found that your primary monitor cannot be on a secondary video card. If it is photoshop crashes for me no matter what screen the actual program is on.

I've even swapped the cards in their slots and the same thing happens.

Try changing your primary monitor if you have two cards running.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 6:29 PM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

By definition of the OS, the primary display is on the primary video card.

Yes, the OpenGL implementation doesn't like mixed brands (and sometimes mixed models) of cards.

But honestly, Photoshop doesn't care where the display is or what card it's on -- only that the drivers work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2011 6:37 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Ideally yes, but I've duplicated it on two different computers that had two video cards where I had changed the primary monitor intentionally to use a particular screen. One was Dell machine two ATI cards, one I'd hacked together myself with DFI Motherboard and ATI/Nvidia card combo. The solution was not actually mine, found on another Adobe forum post a while back if you want to search for confirmation.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 10:27 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

1) Uninstall - video card driver

2) restart your sistem into Safe Mode

3) run  DriverSweeper to get rid of the leftovers

4) reinstall the latest video card driver

Your problem is solved

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to Brent Blaskievich

Brent, Chris and Akshay... guess you didn't read my whole message.... By changing the memory setting the problem went away!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 7:55 AM   in reply to webgriffins

The original post was about not being able to open several of the Adobe programs at all. Yours was opened for a least a minute or two. Can't change the memory settings if it doesn't start at all. My photoshop has 4271MB of memory set by default anyway (8GB total). Your solution does make sense for your problem though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2011 2:50 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Once Photoshop is open go to Edit > Prefrences and raise your Memory Usage. Mine is set to 2234 (67%).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 5:12 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

I had this error on my notebook computer while traveling. Crashed as soon as the main window drew, with or without opening an image to launch (image was not shown). Per event viewer, the faulting module was photoshop.exe itself (64-bit version).  I could use the 32-bit version.

I was able to resolve it by going to my C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings (your path will be different unless your username is also 'Dave') and renaming the Workspace Prefs.psp file.

When at home, my notebook is docked, and I suspect that I'd had parts of the workspace on multiple monitors which could be confusing when opening on just one monitor. Shouldn't cause a well-written program to crash, but...

(If anyone from Adobe wants, I could send the old prefs file. Interestingly, it has not created a new one; there is a large Adobe Photoshop X64 CS5 Prefs.psp.)

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.4.0, time stamp: 0x4d9d8f8e

Faulting module name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.4.0, time stamp: 0x4d9d8f8e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000099db16

Faulting process id: 0x2284

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccc55e927a07f7

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Report Id: d9b33811-3151-11e1-a557-f0def14fc68a

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Having same issue.  I have Window's 7/64 Bit computer. Why is "Photoshop CS5 Extended" shutting down each time I try to start it?  I have on my computer all that was mentioned I needed to run this program, and only using 1 monitor. This is expensive software. Can't Adobe make a fix for it?  Or am I just out of luck trying to use this awesome product? To me, we shouldn't be having to go in and changing all kinds of settings as mentioned above. Some of us are not that computer savey. Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to stormy787

The most common causes of problems like this are bugs in drivers, and bugs in third party plugins -- neither of which can be fixed by Adobe.

There are also some problems with corrupt third party fonts that can cause crashes - and we're constantly trying to gather samples of those fonts so we can figure out why they cause crashes and fix the issues that lead to the crashes.

Of course, not all crashes are caused by the same things - we'd need specific details from the crash report to know what might be crashing in your particular case (video drivers, scanner drivers, printer drivers, third party plugins, etc.).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Since I have a Dell support account, they were able to help me. Somehow drivers got corrupt... who knows why, plus they did something with the Admin rights on the computer and re-installed Photoshop CS5 Extended.  It is working fine... so far.   Thanks Chris, for replying.   I'm a happy camper now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, that's not a very convincing response when we're talking about Photoshop crashes that go away when changing Photoshop's memory allocation or trashing a preferences file. Photoshop ought to be able to keep track of its memory; Photoshop ought to be able to deal with its own preference files.

Saying that most of the time it's someone else's fault may be true (edit: and it seems to have been the case for Stormy), but you're not really offering any actionable suggestions here. For example, where is this specifically detailed crash report (and/or how do we enable it) and how do we send it to someone who cares (if there is such a someone)? The "Help" menus just launch a slow-as-molasses version of these forums hobbled by Adobe Air.

Firefox will offer to submit reports automatically (and it dies with more grace). Surely Adobe could do as much if this were such a concern.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 10:56 PM   in reply to davidhbrown

Photoshop does track it's memory usage, and the only known leaks are due to OS bugs.

Photoshop does try to deal with it's own preferences, but it's not perfect.

Photoshop picks up error reports automatically through Microsoft's WER system, but that takes time, and we can't tell what any specific user was seeing.  And even those are mostly just telling us about bugs in various drivers and third party plugins.  We've already fixed all the big crashes we know about.

You gave the details in your message - the crashing/fauling module name, plus the specific versions, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to telamonian7890

Wrong.

STEP 1:

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS5.1(64bit)\

Locate the photoshop.exe file.
    Right click and select properties. Navigate to the "Security" tab and click "Advanced".

Under the "Effective Permissions" there is a section labled "Group or User name:", click the "Select" button . TYPE IN YOUR WINDOWS 7 USER NAME. Click "OK".

Your user name should now have full ownership permissions.

STEP 2:

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS5.1(64bit)\Plug-ins\Extentions\

Locate the "ScriptingSupport.8li" file.
    Right click and select properties. Navigate to the "Security" tab and click "Advanced".

Under the "Effective Permissions" there is a section labled "Group or User name:", click the "Select" button . TYPE IN YOUR WINDOWS 7 USER NAME. Click "OK".

Your user name should now have full ownership permissions.

STEP 3:

Hold:

CTRL + ALT + SHIFT ----> Click on the Photoshop 64-bit icon (the .exe, you can click it anywhere, start menu, task bar, it doesn't matter)

You must be holding all three buttons down on the keyboard (ctrl, alt, shift) while you click on the icon.

Photoshop will ask you "Delete the Photoshop Settings File?".

Click Yes.

Open Photoshop

Cheers,

Gorkha

PS: I have had to reset the photoshop settings file a couple of times, now it seems to work consistently.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to telamonian7890

My Adobe CS5 is not working either . it loads ok but when i open a picture to edit or view it comes up ...

Adobe Photoshop CS5 has stopped working

with the Windows is going to help find the problem rubbish it does not and then doesnt let you know. only option also is to close..

mine is Windows 7 32 bit . only program running as just installed win7.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to andy5g

This is for everyone having a problem in Windows Vista or newer (Windows XP people, you're on your own to find how to look in the event logs):

1.  Click your Start button and type view events into the search box.

2.  When View event logs comes up, click it.

3.  Navigate into your Windows Logs > Application event log.

4.  Scroll through your logged events looking for a red Error entries, and click on each one.

5.  If the Faulting application is Photoshop, list the Faulting module information here.

6.  It's also a good idea to list your Operating System, Photoshop version, whether 32 or 64 bit (as, for example, andy5g has done), and what video card you have.

This will get you off to a good start on getting direct help for your problem.

I'll go one better, if you want to try to get a start on correcting problems yourself:

It's virtually always a good idea to check to see if you have the latest application updates, operating system updates, and driver updates (especially display driver updates).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 8:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm having a quite similar problem.  CS5.5 Design Standard; Illustrator, Acrobat and InDesign all open fine.  Photoshop fails to load at all, with the "Photoshop CS5.1 (64 bit) has stopped working."  None of the workarounds listed above have changed the situation at all.

Video Card:  NVidia 560Ti with most recent drivers (295.73, released 21 Feb 2012)

Here's the fault info:

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d90d339

Faulting module name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d90d339

Exception code: 0xc0000006

Fault offset: 0x00000000012f1df0

Faulting process id: 0xad0

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccfce3dd93d478

Faulting application path: E:\Programs\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Programs\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

Report Id: 23ef760e-68d7-11e1-9101-50e54947b1e2

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Kirian84

I'm having pretty much the same problem.  When I try to launch InDesign CS5.5 I receive the error message from Windows:  Adobe InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working.

I have the Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium Student and Teacher Edition, running on Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 64 bit

I have tried opening InDesign directly and get the error message, and I've tried opening from a document and get the same message.

Recently I had to move to a new computer, as my old hard-drive boot died on the old one, so I was not able to uninstall Creative Suite 5.5 from the old computer.  However, the rest of the Suite works fine, just not InDesign.

Is there some help with this issue? Please?

Sorry I probably should have put this in it's own forum question as I'm referring to InDesign and not Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to Kirian84

If you are using NVIDIA chipset,

this is how you fix the problem, by customizing Adobe application profile via NVIDIA control panel.

what I did is just set the profile to it's High performance setting.

adobe-nvidia-fix.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Has anything been done about the ScriptingSupport.8li file?

I was having an issue with the window arrangement menu being blank and when I tried renaming the file with a ~ it worked perfectly fine. However all of the extra scripts in both Photoshop and Bridge no longer work (such as the Tools > Photoshop > Load files into Photoshop Layers script and the Photomerge script). I went back and reverted the file name and the scripts work now but my window arrangement menu does not. I have no extra plugins other than what it shipped with. The following screens shots are the two options Adobe has left me with...
    screenshot01.jpgscreenshot02.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 23, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to jfm411

jfm411 wrote:

I was having an issue with the window arrangement menu being blank

Generally speaking, most folks can use ScriptingSupport.8li and still see their menus, so something's amiss on your particular system.

Do you have, perchance, any OnOne plug-ins in your system? I seem to recall their attempt to add a menu to the UI might have resulted in that behavior, though I could be remembering wrongly.

Did you ever copy any plug-ins from an older version of Photoshop?

What happens if you remove all your 3rd party plug-ins?  Reinstalling Photoshop might not be a bad idea after doing so.

By the way, you'd more likely get more attention to this issue if you started a new thread.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

No OnOne plugins taht I know of, I am not a  plugin type of person when it comes to Photoshop. The contents of my Extensions folder:

- FastCore.8BX

- MMXCore.8BX

- MultiProcessor Support.8BX

- ScriptingSupport.8li

If any of these are not standard then I have no explanation for you other than I used to be on an XP machine with CS1, then used the Live Upgrade option to Windows 7 and Installed CS4. As far back as the release of CS4 I noticed right away that menu was blank but I had no idea what it was or why it was blank and never bothered with it until a week ago when I started taking Lynda.com courses and saw how useful my missing menu really was.

I removed everything but ScriptingSupport.8li and the menu still appears blank. Then I Quit, remove it and Open PS and the menu works fine.

Thanks for the tip, online forums are not my preferred method of product support.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I am running:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor at 3.31Ghz

16.0 GB RAM

64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate

Radeon HD 6950 (single)

Adobe CS5 Design Premium

I am having the same issue with Photoshop 64 EXCEPT, I am using ONE monitor.

My problem started with Bridge crashing

Faulting application name: Bridge.exe, version: 4.0.0.529, time stamp: 0x4b963c03

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000

Faulting process id: 0x24a0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd6f286c4cc31b

Faulting application path: C:\Adobe CS5\Adobe Bridge CS5\Bridge.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: aac60452-db1b-11e1-8970-1c6f65cc57df

I am posting here in a last ditch effort to get this problem fixed. I called Adobe tech support on 07-20-12 and have gone through three reps now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled CS5 so many times I lost count. I have deleted ALL adobe files, including using the Adobe Cleaner Tool, and done a completely clean install. No luck.

The last rep I spoke to was named Kris and was calling from the Philippines. He said that he could not determine the cause of the problem and that he would have to refer it to the program developers.

My Case ID is:183449198 If you have an time, and think you might be able to help, please just look at the case file. Currently I can not run Bridge, PS 64, Illustrator or Fireworks and all of them give the same Exception code:0xc0000005.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to WVU Mtn Dude

Out of curiosity what display driver version are you running?  For your hardware I believe the latest release is Catalyst 12.6 (available on the AMD website), which seems to work pretty well with Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to GJWS

Excellent fix.

CS5

Video card:

1. EVGA Nvidia GeForce 450 (2 monitors)

2. Intel integrated graphics (2 monitors)

No SLI or anything else.

Your fix worked like a charm! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers