• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Success Installing Flash player on IE8, XP sp3, 32 bit, security off.

New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the third unsucessful bid to install flash player on my Dell.   Its become a little maddening.

Its disconcerting that Microsoft and Adobe havent solved this problem that many seem to encounter.

Details:     Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3, 32 bit

Internet Explorer:  8.0.6001.18702

Security:  Windows firewall off

Medium security setting

ActiveX controls set to "prompt"

Run ActiveX controls and Plug Ins set to "prompt"

Active script enabled

AVG resident shield off,

link scanner off

surf shield off

I am hoping someone knowedgeable can assist me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Check here too.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well I see you have been reading, nice to see the answers before I ask:-)

Have you received any messages while Uninstalling/Installing?

Are you running as Administrator so you have the required permissions?

Do you use any pop up blocker software or adblock?

Is AVG your only Anti-Virus, does it have a Firewall?

Have you Installed any prerelease or beta version of Flash Player?

What version of Flash Player is now Installed?

Do you know how to access your Flash folder? If not, I can tell you, just let me know.

What Anti-Virus did you have prior to AVG and is AVG a recent Install?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.

I get this message when attempting to install Flash player:

Failed to install.

For troubleshooting tips, plese see http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166.

I have visited that page frequently.

I am running as admin on my computer.

Pop up block on IE was turned on.  After tunring it off, I still had the same failure to install the flash player.  I do not have any other pop up blocker running.

AVG is presently the only anti-virus software.  I also manually scan with Malwarebytes freeware.  AVG doesnt have a "firewall" per se, it has a "resident shield", that is presently disabled.

I havent installed or attempted to install any pre-release or beta version of Flash Player.

I have uninstalled Flash Player, using the adobe Flash Player Uninstaller.  So I dont have any version installed right now.

Looking inside:  windows\system32\macromed\flash I saw a a file called "install" subtitled a "text document" and another folder called:  Flash Player Trust, which contained a file called "rpconverter".

I used to have McAfee antivirus installed until it expired some months ago.  It is uninstalled.  AVG was a supplementary anti-virus, but I have kept it and it is now my primary anti-virus.

Thank you for taking the time to inquire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the update. Something is blocking the Install. What we are going to do is find out what it is. Since you have done everything that would be needed, then it is something else.

Now McAfee & Norton are the most invasive A/V that I know of. Did you Remove McAfee from the Add/Remove only, or did you run the McAfee Removal Tool?

The FlashPlayer Trust and the "rp converter", I would remove by right clicking on it and doing so. The rp is a real player

converter and some of Real Player add ons do cause issues, especially trying to Install FP. Maybe not everyone has a problem with it, but enough have that it is on my radar. Skype is another one and LinkScanner with AVG also.

On the Firewall, you are using the Windows Firewall then?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McAfee was removed from the windows control panel program install and remove list.  I then installed the McAfee removal tool and it completed with the message that the removal was succesful.

I deleted the text document and the Flash Player Trust folder containing the rp converter.  I then went back to the control panel program install and remove list and uninstalled Real Player.

(Skype was never installed on this computer.)

I double checked that Windows firewall was off.

Tried to reinstall from the the installation file saved on the desktop and still got the "Failed to install." message.

Tried to install from the adobe website, which installs the download manager which creates a double pane window with nothing in either pane and a button saying "Close Download Manager".  And nothing happens.

Flash folder has a new document, looks like a log.

Thanks for the suggestions.   Any more ideas about what is stopping the installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the update again. Sorry for the lateness. I try to reply to the threads that I have already contacted, so have been trying to catch up.

Glad to hear you used the McAfee Removal Tool, that is the only way and then I wouldn't bet money that it is not lurking someplace:-)

Well, you removed some of the known problems. Try to avoid that DLM(download manager). After Uninstalling the Real Player and the removal of the Flash folder FP Trust, you did Reboot?

If you like I can give you my procedure to Uninstall/Install. It looks complicated when you read my instructions, but it isn't really. It just needs to be followed. It is the way I Un/In FP on my own system and don't have any problems.

Let me know. Perhaps there is just one or two things you may have overlooked that is necessary. I know I forgot to Reboot after the Installation one time, which you wouldn't think was important, but yes it was:-) I found out what I didn't do by reading the log file! Ha-Ha I'm sure I was in a hurry to do something else.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am here to learn. If you have a procedure for uninstalling and installing, that works, I am very interested.   I am pretty frustrated with my lack of progress.

Maybe this is important:  I did notice that when the "Failed to install" message appears, it is a little box that overlaps the installation progress message box.  Everytime that the "Failed to install" message appears, the installation progress message box reads:

Registering C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\flash10e.ocx

There is "details" button on the installation progress box, but that is disabled when the "Failed to install" message appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check here too.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I know about that "Show Details" pertaining to IE, however that should appear during the Uninstall. That you are seeing it when you receive the message "Failed to Install" would be new to me, since I haven't had that happen. Perhaps it just stays there? Hard to tell.

I do appreciate IKNAA suggesting the link to consider. The only thing is that sometimes it works (in that the user did have the problem) and other times it doesn't seem to make a difference. Perhaps because the user did not have that problem.

Perhaps we can try the Uninstall/Install and see if that is successful first. You are the Administrator and using that account so I really don't see any Permission issues.

This is the Flash Player Uninstaller that you will download and SAVE to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Next, this is the Flash Player Installer that you will download and SAVE to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

I would print a copy of the Uninstaller instructions which will make it easier to follow some of the steps to check, since you will be disconnected from the Internet.

Since the DLM(download manager) sometimes is a problem, I would like to make sure it is not listed in your Add/Remove, so please check and if it is or if there is an entry of a getplus, Remove them both and Restart your computer. Also in the IE All add ons, check to see if there is any entry of a "get atlcom Class". I want to make sure none of these are on your computer since they cause problems.

Let me know that and then I'll post the steps to take. If you cannot proceed tonight, that is fine. Just post back when you can.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK-YOU, EIDNOLB, FOR YOUR TIME AND EXPERTISE.

THANK-YOU, I KNOW NOTHING AT ALL, FOR THE TRICK THAT WORKED.

I am sorry I didnt pay closer attention to the message boxes that appeared during the failed installations.

Flash is installed.  All systems go.  I am ready for take off.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well imagine my surprise when I just got back on the forum. My Anti-Virus picks the most busiest time to update and install!!  Good grief, what did you do?????? LOL Did you follow the Uninstall instructions? Ha-Ha, I bet that NOTE on IE and the show details slipped by you before?

Don't feel bad about not seeing or remembering everything when Uninstalling and Installing FP. You can take a look at this thread just to get some idea for the Uninstall and Install of IE & FF.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/644498?tstart=0

Am I correct that you Uninstalled and Installed again?

Was that DLM/getplus/get_atlcom Class anywhere to be found? Hope not.

Well I am so glad you have FP installed, maybe 4th time is the charm

Thanks for marking your thread answered, a lot of good info on your thread.

Now you'll be all set when the next FP comes out:-)

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Re: that link

iluvsmesomegoogle.jpg

I think it took me about twenty seconds to find that searching "Registering C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\flash10e.ocx"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines