Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where is the jQuery options in DW CS5?

May 2, 2010 5:59 AM

I installed Trial DW CS5, but unable to find options for jQuery and HTML 5.

Is there any feature 'bout jQuery Intellisence and HTML 5?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2010 10:33 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Is there any feature 'bout jQuery Intellisence and HTML 5?

Starting with CS4, DW supports JavaScript Intellisense, so that includes any objects defined using jQuery.

If you install the new Widget Browser, there are a few jQuery widgets:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/widgetbrowser/

The HTML5 spec is still a working draft, so the DW Team couldn't really do much for features about HTML5 in the CS5 timeframe. Live View renders a lot of HTML5/CSS3. Also, there are some tag libraries (which will provide Intellisense for these tags) released by a third party here:

http://dwlog.net/downcnt/downcnt.cgi/html5_tag_suites_v050.zip

What kind of HTML5 features would you like to see in DW?

Thanks,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 11:59 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

I got this error during install this extention.

Any solution to install this extention successfully?

Sorry, that's a third party extension, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I successfully installed an earlier version of that extension on a beta  version of DW CS5. Has anyone else successfully installed it in DW CS5?

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 1:00 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

The Intellisense is very good in CS5. Something I didn't expect really. it works with PHP JS and it's easy to set up. Under the "Site" menu look at "Site-Specific-Code-Hints". You can point to it any folder, even outside your root.

I now see all my functions, class and everything from jQuery and plugins. Very nice. I'll upgrade just for this feature. (Oh and Live/Code View - which now actually works and is useful.)

HTML5 support is browser dependent right now (it's not  supported by everyone, yet). Safari, Opera, Chrome and Firefox support some of HTML5. If you use Safari, you can check the ADC (Apple Developer Center) for docs on HTML5.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 5:27 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Why just jQuery? I can think of 4 other js frameworks just as good. My point is, should DW has a special toolbar for them all? This is the one of extension developers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 11:25 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Hi

For html 5, (and css3) support see my answer in this thread - http://forums.adobe.com/message/2787526#2787526.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

I want.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 8:47 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Do I have to do anything to enable the jQuery intellisence in DW CS5? I try to do some jQuery coding in CS5 trial version, but no code hinting shown up!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 8:59 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

How can I install this jQuery Utilities  Toolset v1.0.1 in my DW CS5 trial version? (no exe file found in the downloaded content)

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 9:00 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

The above jQuery plugin is very good.

But do I have to do anything to enable the jQuery intellisence in DW CS5? I  try to do some jQuery coding in CS5 trial version, but no code hinting  shown up!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 9:18 PM   in reply to DON BOSKO

The intellsense works with any js or php. Site -> Site-Specific Code-Hints and select the folders you want DW to look in. DW doesn't have a specific jQuery thing going on. Nor should it. I cant think of 5 other js libraries that are popular too. Should DW include something special for them all?

Also, the intellsense isn't gonna write code for you. It helps (especially if you using something like Zend with it long function/class names).

I'm sure extension developers will release extensions addressing specific js libraries soon.  I wouldn't mind having one for Dojo, for instance.  in the mean time, I got DW to display functions for me. Saving me research/typing time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 10:53 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

I know. I got it.

I think all want intellsence to understand and suggest jquery's short-hand. Seeing the functions isn't a problem. It's the short hand. Personally, since every damn js library has like it's own style, I don't blame Adobe for not picking one.

Or am I understanding this wrong?

Oh and thanks a bunch for the toolbar.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 6:36 PM   in reply to Stephen Cox

I clicked Site -> Site-Specific Code-Hints to activate code hints for jQuery, but it says it is for PHP sites only and asks me to add a PHP serrver(?!)

What if I don't want to use PHP? Why DW needs a server(?!) for code hinting?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 6:51 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari,

Yes you are right, here DW fails! Miserably fails!

If you add a code hinting feature for your plug-in, it is greatly appreciated, but it may be a big work for an individual.

Generally talking DW is not keeping up itself according to the evolution in the industry, a couple of examples:

(1) CSS inspection is a new feature in CS5, but this has been available in a FREE tool called Firebug (getfirebug.com) since FEW YEARS

(2) DW does not give any support for the popular Java Server Faces (JSF), it is still keeping already retired JSP

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2010 12:59 PM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Sag-e-Attar.

Thanks for the extension. I have not tried everything, but it seems to work in CS4 just fine.

I noteiced it is not in the Adobe Dreamweaver Exchange, however. You might want to submit it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 10:07 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

So it is. It is strange that it does not show up in the results of a search for "jQuery" ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 1:15 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

Is it possible to make Insert panel active when editing Javascript type files? I would like to use jQuery Utilities Toolset when writing JavaScript code in separate file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2010 8:36 PM   in reply to Randy Edmunds

I have found that the Extensions Manager often gives these error messages, but if you install via the software itself ie DreamWeaver things will install ok. Seems to be a defect in the Extension Manager, not the plug-ins.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 11:12 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

I too would like to know if there are now any new features in DW CS5 that include jQuery intellisense.  This post was a year ago

and Visual Studio has closed that gap, so what is DW doing for it?  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 12:20 PM   in reply to Matt (runner_28)

I too would like to know if there are now any new features in DW CS5 that include jQuery intellisense.  This post was a year ago

and Visual Studio has closed that gap, so what is DW doing for it?  Thanks.

jQuery intellisense (i.e. dynamic Code Hinting) was added in DW CS5.5.

HTH,

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 12:47 PM   in reply to Randy Edmunds

That be true. But it needs to be tweaked BADLY.

Right now I see little support for the UI and other plugins. It seems to work best with jquery mobile.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised Adobe choose to support only 1 framework. I would've perferred a setup where you coud support any framework. Bu ok.

The good news is that you can still set things up using Site Specific Code Hints and get decent intellisense.

But frankly, nothing beats Visual Studio in intellisense. I wish VS had PHP intellisense. There are other IDE that do an excellent job at it (for PHP and Ruby) like PHStorm and RubyMine. Both also do excellent jobs with any js library. And both even have built in js debuggers!

By the way, that is one thing DW is sourly lacking... a debugger (and I'm talking PHP debugger).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 6:40 AM   in reply to Sag-e-Attar Junaid Atari

when you write " this. " ,  then coming are snippets.. how is it work ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points