Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Like airline routes - arching paths

May 26, 2010 3:52 AM

Hi, I am preparing an illustration/map showing travels and exchanges. It is mostly for illustration, to show off how productive this network is, so it doesn't need to be perfect/detailed.Clipboard01.png

In this ball of yarn each line represents travels. Some go both directions, and some represent multiple people (which I might represent with widths, or by separate parallel lines). Now I am interested in making some of these more arching, somewhat like an airplane route map. Is there any smart/easy way to do that semi-automatically?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2010 5:17 AM   in reply to frax_-L75d7K

frax,

You should be able to select as many as you like and Effect>Warp>Arch the lot with a modest (Horizontal/Vertical) Bend.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 5:59 AM   in reply to frax_-L75d7K

If you already have the straight lines made, you could make one arching path, save it as an art brush and apply it to selected paths.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 6:25 AM   in reply to Dave Wittekind

The brush is a very good way to go and the warp is a good way to make it as well but you can enhance it if you have CS 5 in a very esy wy using the width tool and the new arrow head device in the stroke panel.

You can also use the arc tool then the width tool then add the arrow head change the proportion of the arrowhead(s) and then turn it into an art brush.

The brush answer above is really and easy way to do this, the warp is a good way to create the arc though the rc tool is as well and the width tool give you an easy way to get that airline route look.

Screen shot 2010-05-26 at 9.20.00 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 6:41 AM   in reply to frax_-L75d7K

frax,

It may be mentioned that the Arch retains the end Anchor Points inherently and may be used to shape the routes so they appear natural and varied, possibly with different Horizontal/Vertical bends.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to frax_-L75d7K

For my part you are welcome, frax.

With so many paths it is difficult to avoid a messy/cluttered appearance, so the simpler means the better, I believe.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points