Skip navigation
Severn Bore
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 won't recognise scanner

May 27, 2010 9:38 AM

Hi

Any ideas why CS5 has stopped recognising my Canon 8000 scanner. There was no problem until recently. Now when I open CS5 the scanner wakes up, but is not shown in the import menu. Have tried several ideas to resolve this without any luck.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2010 9:59 AM   in reply to Severn Bore

Have you changed anything since it was working?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 11:07 AM   in reply to Severn Bore

Severn Born-

I also noticed this too when I went from CS4 Design Premium to CS5 Design Premium.  Found out there are no twain drivers when you  use the 64-bit PhotoShop .  The workaround is to Import-->WIA Support  --> Scanner  I've been using this as my workaround and it involves more mouse clicks but is do-able.  Lot's of bug in PhotoShop CS5 especially the 64-bit version.  PS 64-bit quick selection tool does not grab but instead works like the lasso tool.  More importantly you cannot use  "  [  "   or the  "  ]  "   to delete portions of the marching ants.  The video card might or might not support OpenGL which is a huge enhancement worth upgrading the video card.  Sweetspot for me using 64-bit PS is having 8GB of system memory but now I find I have to dial back on my mild overclock.  Was running 3.8GHz on my Asus P6T motherboard but now dialed back to 3.1GHz

I was having huge "out of memory" erros running 32-bit Windows 7 Pro but having upgraded to the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate CS5 is now fairly stable.  Still going through all the features and enhancements so as I see more bugs I'll take note of them and post on followups.  BTW, who is the organization/individual we notify if we see glaring bugs and abnormalities with CS5?

tom.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to swong6

swong6 wrote:

BTW, who is the organization/individual we notify if we see glaring bugs and abnormalities with CS5?

See: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to Severn Bore

I noticed the lack of TWAIN support when I went to Vista 64.

The solution is to scan outside of Photoshop, which only loads the same scanner software inside the application.

It's better that way anyhow.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 3:35 PM   in reply to Severn Bore

Apparently, TWAIN is no longer loaded in the installation of CS5. I did find it as an optional plug-in here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4688&fileID= 4376

I went to that site, downloaded the ZIP file, extracted the files and followed the instructions in the PDF instruction file. I put the extracted plug-ins in the Plug-Ins folder under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 folder and restarted PS. Voila. TWAIN is back.

I'm using 32 bit Windows CS5. I have not tested to see if this works on 64 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 5:03 PM   in reply to pgmeier

pgmeier rules!

I downloaded what you mentioned and have both good and bad news.....the zipped file has only  twain32 (hoping to get twain64) but at least this is another positive step forward and another workaround for me.  I noticed the same twain32 plug-in is also in the Win64 folder.  Just for giggles I deposited twain32 into both the c:\Program Files (x86)   and c:\Program Files .......if I call up PS 32-bit I can now scan via twain but alas no joy when I attempt the same using PS 64-bit

Only way is still ..  Import --> Wia support  if you have your heart set on using PhotoShop 64-bit

I am amazed Adobe didn't even put thought into why a twain64 plug-in is a requirement for the real world....there are still many of out out here that still use flatbed scanners on ocassion to import graphics!

PS_32bit.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 5:12 PM   in reply to swong6

I am amazed Adobe didn't even put thought into why a twain64 plug-in is a requirement for the real world....there are still many of out out here that still use flatbed scanners on ocassion to import graphics!

Maybe because the TWAIN working group said that there would never be a 64 bit version of TWAIN, and we were unable to locate any such drivers?

We do put thought into this, but can't support standards and software which don't exist.

(yes, I know TWAIN web site recently changed their story without notifying the TWAIN working group members - we're still trying to figure that out)

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 2:19 AM   in reply to Severn Bore

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers