Skip navigation
CarriePries
Currently Being Moderated

File in use, cannot save - in InDesign CS4?

Feb 22, 2010 6:37 AM

When my one designer goes to re-save files sometimes it will say, "File in use, cannot save file". She has to rename it and then it will save, but it only happens randomly, not on every file. I have been reading posts for this exact issue people have been having, BUT has anyone SOLVED the issue as to WHY it is happening? We run CS4 on four Macintosh computers, but only one of them is having this issue. We are all saving to one central location, which is a PC server and we are all running the exact same operating system, 10.4.11. Any suggestions or insight on how to solve this issue is much appreciated!! thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2010 6:51 AM   in reply to CarriePries

We could use some more details. Is she opening the files as originals or copies (are they shown as untitled in the file title in the application window?)? Is she doing Save, or Save AS operations? What network protocol is being used to connect this Mac to the server, and does it match the others?

Can you link to some of the other posts you've been reading?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have experienced something similar, but it is happening to me when I try and save my file as a PDF. I either need to change the file name or go delete the existing PDF to make the new one. Very frustrating. I don't know if this is the same issue, but if it sheds any light on what's going on I'd appreciate the help.

Screen shot 2010-04-07 at 10.08.34 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 5:55 AM   in reply to CarriePries

This happens to me as well, but in InDesign CS3. I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.3) on a new i7 iMac. A similar issue happens when I create PDF's from InDesign. And when I go to empty the trash, it often says it can't empty because a PDF in the trash is in use. But no other applications are open. I hope someone can help. It wastes a lot of time renaming the file, doing a Save As, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 6:08 AM   in reply to isayhoomhom

I get this occasionally as well. Only in Leopard.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to CarriePries

Make sure you don't have the Preview visible in a Finder window... this will often (if not always) give you a "file in use" message.

IMO this is an Apple issue, not Adobe...

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 11:55 AM   in reply to isayhoomhom

I just got this today for the 1st time ever in CS3 on 10.5.8, but only when exporting to pdf. Funny cause I just went through my system yesterday and verified/repaired permissions. I have to trash the pdf then try exporting again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 12:07 PM   in reply to Userbak610

I repaired permissions today, securely emptied the trash and made sure no previews were showing. So far so good, but I'm not crossing my fingers. Whether it's Apple's or Adobe's fault, it's clear the two companies don't enjoy cooperating. A shame for we in the industry who rely on both.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to isayhoomhom

Unlike the Flash issue, I don't think this is a matter of cooperation so much as it is a bug in the Finder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2010 12:49 PM   in reply to CarriePries

I've gotten these, but only after I've e-mailed the file as an attachment in Apple Mail. I forces me to rename before exporting.

Fred

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2011 7:03 AM   in reply to bpylant

Thanks for the tip on not having the file you are working on in the Mac OS X Finder not highlighted and showing a thumbnail preview of the file you are opening.

That indeed was causing me to have the Read-Only / In use error when saving some files from my Intel Mac Pro running 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 to a OS X Server running 10.5.8.

As soon as I clicked on a different file in the Finder and did a save on my Illustrator CS4 document I was able to save over my old file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points