Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5

May 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Today, all of a sudden, two of my most used functions—holding down the space bar to move the image around and holding down CMD-space bar to zoom—just up and quit on me (I do like the "Scrubby" but it took a little getting used to. It's very touch screen-esque).

I did all of the normal trouble shooting such as deleting the prefs, relaunching, restarting, etc. Nothing. The functions work fine in the other CS5 programs.

Anybody else come across this? I checked through all of the prefs thinking that perhaps I accidentally changed something but I couldn't find anything. If all else fails, I'll do an uninstall/reinstall but only as a last resort.

I did notice that Adobe finally fixed the Distort (in Full Screen Mode) bug that was killing me in CS4.

Thanks for any help.

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2010 10:09 PM   in reply to rudy713

Check the OS shortcuts in System Preferences, especially the keyboard->Keyboard Shortcut settings, and Universal Access.  The modifier spacebar keys are frequently used to change localized keyboard settings.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2010 12:36 AM   in reply to rudy713

No, because Apple has some per-application settings.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to rudy713

System prefs > spotlight. Turn off the shortcuts.

Screen shot 2010-05-19 at 10.37.24 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 10:07 AM   in reply to rudy713

I'm having the same issue, but I found that it occurs when I open an image from Bridge CS4/CS5. It works again when I reboot my computer. It doesn't happen on Photosho CS4.  There's some bug between Bridge and Photoshop CS5. Anyone else having the same problem?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 12:23 AM   in reply to rudy713

Im having the same problem, fine in Flash CS5 just PS is causing the problem..

Snow Leopard

CS5 Design Premium

Ironically I have Lucky beer in the fridge.

Of all the shortcuts I use, this is by far the most frequently used.

Be very interested in the fix for this..

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 5:33 AM   in reply to 101Phil

We're trying to track this down. Next time it happens to you, please do the following to help us debug:

1. Take a screen shot of your entire Photoshop workspace (so we can see what panels are showing when this happens)

2. Take a screen shot of Activity Monitor (so we can see every other program and process that is running) (Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor)

3. Then quit each other application that is running one by one and check see if the problem goes away after quitting each app

4. If you quit all other applications and it still occurs, try resetting your workspace WIndow>Workspace>Essentials and then select Window>Workspace>Reset Essentials

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 2:32 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for responding.

Please  find screenshots attached..

I was able to use the hand  after I closed Dreamweaver and also after I restarted Dreamweaver.

Regards,

Phil

Screen shot 2010-05-28 at 7.13.51 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-05-28 at 7.13.24 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 2:56 PM   in reply to 101Phil

Phil this helps. I'll start digging in more. The more people that post similar tests/results will let us figure it out. I've also heard people say that quitting their browser also gives the keys back to PS. The more data points we have the better.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 7:41 PM   in reply to rudy713

Thanks Rudy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 10:04 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I just started using CS5 today and ran into the same issue. Every CS5 program I have open is all of a sudden disabled in terms of being able to use the space bar / cmd / option keys to get the hand tool, and magnification tool.

It happened in Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously.

I have gone through this thread and disabled spotlight shortcuts and other keyboard modifiers used by os x by default and it is still broken. I restarted both Photoshop and Illustrator and it still does not work.

I am going to attempt re-booting my machine but if this is going to be the norm it is going to seriously impact my workflow since those are keyboard commands I use all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 10:11 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Rebooting my mac brought back the keyboard commands in Photoshop and Illustrator. I will post more information if that issue happens again and see if I can find a pattern or a situation that will cause it to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 8:09 PM   in reply to DrunkCyclist

Thanks DrunkCyclist. Be sure to try my debugging steps above ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/2846310#2846310 ) to see if there is another process that is conflicting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 1:07 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I've had the same problem and i can confirm that quitting the webbrowser brings back the hand-tool in Photoshop. Adobe - I hope this information helps you to fix this bug quick. I also hope for an Photoshop-Update that fixes the "slow scrolling" problem (off topic).

Apart from that Photoshop CS5 seems to run smoother and faster on my MacBook Pro than CS4 did, seems you guys did a good job! =)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to Matthias Rendl

Matthias,

It helps. We haven't reproduced the problem in house for the Hand/Spacebar issue but we have some good clues.

Which Web Browser do you use? Do you remember what content/URLs were active/visible? What version of Flash Player do you have?

Slow scrolling - Yes, we're aware of the issue. I was looking at a fix for it yesterday. Which mouse (brand/model) do you use?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 9:37 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Jeffrey -

I use Firefox 3.6.3. I don't remember all the websites that were visible, but I think I had www.spiegel.de as a tab open and in another tab i was logged into an account of http://basecamphq.com/. is it possible, that there is a conflict, when a javascript/JQuery/lightbox on a website responds to keyboard-commands?

my flash player is version 10,1,52,15

and the scrolling problem appears with this new "apple magic mouse" as well as with the old "mighty mouse" (wired version)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 12:15 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I haven't had the problem come back since I rebooted yesterday. I see that other people replied to the thread but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue since.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 7:29 AM   in reply to rudy713

Hi guys,

I've just had the same problem in InDesign CS4 - you don't realise how much you use this command until it stops working!! First time it's happened to me since installing the CS4 suite some 3 months ago.

Anyway, having read the thread, I did what Jeffrey Tranberry suggested and quit my web browser, which fixed the problem straight away (was running Firefox 3.6.3 if that's of any help).

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 9:03 AM   in reply to rudy713

I haven't got Hulu loaded on my Mac, so that's definitely not the culprit in my case.

Either way, it's damn annoying. Hasn't happened again to me since relaunching Firefox however, and, as I said in my earlier message, it had never happened before - and I use Firefox on a daily basis at work... so it may have actually just been a coincidence that it started working again then.

I'll follow this thread with interest...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 7:43 AM   in reply to rudy713

For me the shortcuts for pan and zoom stop working when i open firefox and log into my gmail account. As soon as i quit firefox they come back again.

It's quite annoying because i check my mail very often.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to georgespataru

Can those who are seeing this bug also include the Flash Player version you're running?

You can find it by going to this site:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 9:16 AM   in reply to barry young

I have version 10,0,42,34 installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 9:43 AM   in reply to georgespataru

Thanks. And just for good measure, what version of Firefox are people using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to rudy713

I can reproduce this with Hulu Desktop. We'll be able to take it from here. Thanks for the info.

Barry

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to barry young

For me its not HULU - I don't have it installed.

For me, Since I quite Dreamweaver and discovered that solved the problem. I have had PS and DW open at the same time and was working with it last night, Space Bar Hand worked perfectly.

I put the Mac to sleep last night, woke this morning. Woke it up and PS hand space not working anymore. Saw this update about Firefox (3.6.3), so I quite Firefox to test that and didn't make a difference, I closed Dreamweaver and it works fine again.

Thought Im on to something here - restart Dreamweaver though it still works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to 101Phil

At this point, i suspect it's related to Flash (as others have pointed out). Hulu desktop is an AIR app running the flash player. Dreamweaver probably runs some form of flash when loaded, triggering the same bug. Using the Hulu desktop gives us a reproducible case, so we can have a developer look at it and figure out what's going on. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 12:55 AM   in reply to barry young

Just for the record: I use Firefox 3.6.3 and Flash Player 10,1,52,1 and I don't have Hulu installed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to rudy713

I use Firefox 3.6.3. after restart firefox, space bar is working

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to rudy713

yep it's definitely a Firefox thing. My spacebar wasn't working in ID CS5 all of a sudden. Closed Firefox (without even restarting ID) and it's working again fine. I'll let everyone know when it' stops working and will take a screenshot of the Firefox windows open. I'm in Firefox v 3.6.3 and OS X v 10.6.3

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to rudy713

This happened to me again today in Photoshop, (only the 2nd time its happened to me). I had Flash and Photoshop open at the same time, but no Firefox or any other apps at the time it happened.

Not only did the spacebar tool stop working, after clicking around a few times in Photoshop, the program just froze up and I had to force-quit and restart Photoshop, at which time the keyboard commands came back.

Don't know if it is the same issue, but I was locked out of the keyboard commands before Photoshop finally choked completely.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points