Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Waiting for Adobe Flash Player to connect to debugger..."

May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue where after installing 10.1 debug build and then stepping back to 10.0 debug on Windows 7 and Flash Builder 4 the debugger will no longer connect:

http://content.screencast.com/users/IvanSlepchenko/folders/Jing/media/206aa0ea-4c5c-43e6-97f2-2f8f58...

After 1-2 minutes it times out with Launch Failed: Failed to connect; session timed out.  Esnure that: 1. You compiled your Flash application with debugging on.  2. You are running the debugger version of Flash Player.

Any thoughts on what may be happening here?  Nothing else has changed and after searching for quite a while for answers nothing has resolved the issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you verify if right clicking on the running SWF lists "Debugger" in the menu?

Also, are you on Google Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  That is one thing that was attempted.  The old version that was installed (not recent w/ the Flash 10.1 internal plugin) has been deinstalled so that it does not exist on the system at all now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it clear: You cannot see "Debugger" when you right click on your app running in the browser?

Then please run the flash player 10.1 uninstaller from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html and then install your preferred debug player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version shows as Debugger installed.  The problem arises when running a debug from Flash Builder.

Also, did run the uninstaller for 10.1 as well and performed the reinstall of 10.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Builder listens on a port and when the debug swf is loaded, flash player connects to that port.

By chance did you block Flash Builder in the firewall on Win 7?

I know this might be time consuming for you to try out, but if you reinstall 10.1, does debug work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, same problems.  No firewall blocking; 10.1 reinstall yields same failure.

Also, what ports should be shown as listening with `netstat -a -n`?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Hit debug in Flash Builder.

2. Run cmd.exe. In the console, type in telnet localhost 7935 (On Win 7, telnet has to be installed via Programs/Features panel)

Let me know if telnet connects and what you see in the screen.

Another thing to try out:

By default on Win 7 / Vista, Flash Builder uses the IPV4 stack. You may want to try changing this by going to installdir/flashbuilder.ini and taking away the -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true line.

Thanks,

Anirudh Sasikumar

Flash Builder Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also struggling with this issue.

When I try the telnet option I get:-

▼∟disable_script_stuck_dialogon∟disable_script_stuckon↕∟break_on_faulton▬∟enumer
ate_overrideon§∟notify_on_failureon↕∟invoke_setterson§∟swf_load_messageson¶∟gett
er_timeout1500¶∟setter_timeout5000♦☺☺

Connection to host lost.

When I right click on the swf file, the 'debugger' option is greyed out.

It occurs on IE and Firefox.

I have installed the flash debugger V 10,0,45,2 isntalled of the activeX for firefox. I have tried with 10.1.53.38

IE has 10.1.53.38 installed. When I run the uninstaller and try an install the 10.4.45.2 it tells me its not the latest version and won't install.

Both Flex Builder 3 and FLash Builder 4 (trial) do this to me.

I am running WIndows 7 (64Bit).

pinging localhost returns my computer and domain name, not 127.0.0.1

▼∟disable_script_stuck_dialogon∟disable_script_stuckon↕∟break_on_faulton▬∟enumer
ate_overrideon§∟notify_on_failureon↕∟invoke_setterson§∟swf_load_messageson¶∟gett
er_timeout1500¶∟setter_timeout5000♦☺☺

Connection to host lost.

ping localhost

Pinging myComputerName.Domain.Local [::1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms

Any assistance would be great.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually,

I am compiling and running this on the server.

In the flex build path, I have the output folder as:       W:\development\

and the output folder URL references is:      http://*****/development/

Which has worked fine previously, and I don't get the sandbox violations etc.  If I change the output folder to bin-debug and leave the output URL blank the debugger connects.

I am not sure what has changed.... I think the old style has worked on windows7, it certainly did on my old XP box.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

Your telnet output looks fine. it means that the debugger is listening.

If the Debugger option is grayed out, it usually means that the SWF is not a debug version.

Can you confirm that bin-debug and the URL points to the same debug SWF? (Just save the SWF in firefox by typing in the URL and compare the size with the one in bin-debug)

Also, more details on the sandbox violation error would be helpful.

Thanks,

Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I see you have suggested the telnet local host 7935. When i do this i get the error:

Connecting to localhost...Could not open connection to the host on port 7935: connect failed.

Is this the reason i always get the "Where is the debugger located" pop up? How can i fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Builder listens on port 7935 only when you hit debug.

If you're getting the pop simply by loading the SWF in IE, that is a different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this problem running Adobe Flash Builder 4 under administrator mode.

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally the following is seen:

http://www.screencast.com/users/IvanSlepchenko/folders/Jing/media/b89c1ddb-d3c6-4749-9d09-2beab6f20121

So, please correct if I am wrong, but the debug server is listening, but then times out because for SOME REASON the client is not connecting to it.  For some reason it is isolated and thus the timeout?

What could be happening here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: Of all things, finally right clicking and giving the FP the localhost ip (127.0.0.1) solved the problem after a lot of fiddling and checking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2011 Jan 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i also same type of problem.

when i run the application from Flash builder 4 in debug mode

i have Window XP install on my PC.

i use Flex sdk 4.1

the application is run but in the Flash Builder the message "Waiting for Adobe Flash Player to connect to debugger..." at 57%.

nothing happen until an error message is come that say your timeout.

Where is the problem.

Please i need Help in this regard.

Thanks

Tahir Alvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been plagued with this issue for over a week now. I've tried all the solutions printed here and none of them have been successful. After reading this thread, however, it did provide me with some new insight on things I could try. I downloaded the sysinternal tools and have been running tcpview to see what is going on with the ports on my machine. What I'm finding is that after my first successful debugger session, the port (7935) will stay in the CLOSE_WAIT state with a process id of eclipse.exe.

Of course, attempting a telnet at this point fails because nothing is listening on the port. If I try to launch a new debugger session, the debugger can't acquire the port and must be failing silently. When I first discovered this, I could close the connection and then subsequent sessions would execute fine (using tcpview). Now, however, closing the connection will prevent flash builder from ever acquiring the port again. It just never shows up again in tcpview. I can close flash builder and restart the machine and then it will work one more time.

Unfortunately, the project I'm working on takes about 25 minutes to fire up from start to finish. So, having this issue with the debugger has all but prevented me from making any progress on my current workload.

ANY information someone might have here would be invaluable. I am completely running out of ideas.

I'm running jdk 6 update 26 (1.6.0_26-b03) with Flash Builder 4 installed as a plugin to a barebones eclipse version 3.5.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that analysis. That nails down the issue you are facing.

If it is in CLOSE_WAIT, that means that Flash Builder for some reason might not be acknowledging the hard close from the browser plugin. A possible workaround: hit terminate (the red stop button in the debug pane) in Flash Builder before closing the browser tab/page.

Meanwhile, I'll file a bug on this - what you are facing is definitely a bug.

P.S: We had a similar bug http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-9902?focusedCommentId=169463&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_169463 except for the fact that the port was in LISTENING there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cafeParadox,

To track your specific issue, I've filed https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-31224

Others on the thread,

Some of you may be facing this issue. If so, you can confirm it by verifying if debug launch (on a web project) works the first time and not afterwards. If this is not the reason you have the same symptom, as discussed in this thread, it can be due to:

* Firewall. Make sure TCP port 7935 is open.

* Incorrectly using release SWF instead of debug SWF.

* Having release player installed instead of debug plugin.

* Chrome using its builtin release player (which needs to be manually overriden to give the debug player priority)

* IPV4 stack disabled (windows only, Flash Builder 4/4.1 users only, this is fixed for 4.5)

-Anirudh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anirudh!

I'm glad to know I wasn't crazy. I had tried stopping the debugger before closing the browser with no success. However, clicking the "disconnect" button would gracefully close the port. That was a huge lifesaver today and I"m a little embarrased for not having tried that earlier.

Perhaps the discussion and solutions here will benefit others.

Again, thanks for your help Anirudh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you tried the above solutions without success, check the configuration of your hosts file. I had mine configured such that localhost was bound to an ip address on my app server rather than the default location (127.0.0.1 usually). What I had to do was right-click in the running application (the html page in my case) and select 'Debugger' from the menu. In the dialog that comes up change the settings to 'Other Machine', input the correct ip address, and hit connect.

Thanks to therush (http://therush.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/resolved-flex-builder-3-debugger-stopped-working/) for this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bucpatr1, thank you!!! I couldn't even remember changing my localhost (and hit my head when I read your post). Hours of frustration are now at an end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like zangheri said, running FB as Administrator worked for me. There was also another workaround: while FB is stuck at 57%, go to your browser and load the webapplication. As soon as it's loaded, FB's debugger kicks in and you can continue on. PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines